Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2014, 10:44 PM   #1
K Man

First Time RV Experience (NC)

Hey everyone, first time RV owner here. My wife, Katie, and I live in Southern Pines, NC and just bought a 2013 Summerland 1890. We are going to try and take it out as often as possible on short weekend trips, since we are lucky enough to be surrounded by many parks and rec areas. If anyone here has recommendations for anything close to the Sandhills area, I would love to hear about them.

I hope you all enjoy the story of my first complete RV camping experience as the team leader (or HMFIC as some in the construction industry might say).

We took our camper out this past Saturday, immediately after we bought it because, well, why not? We were both so excited to test it out with our two year old son that we took it home, threw some clothes/bedding/food in it, grabbed the dogs and hit the road. We didn't want to travel too far on our first trip so we opened up the RV phone book we received from CampingWorld and found the Oasis of North Carolina Campground (http://www.oasisofnorthcarolina.us/) in nearby Aberdeen. Only 25 miles away, we should have been there in about 30-40 minutes. That would have been if I wasn't driving like a little girl while towing the surprisingly heavy trailer up/down hills (no offense to little girls).

As we pulled up, we were greeted by Bob, who together with his wife Sharon, own and built the park 7 years ago. Bob told me to go inside the office and check-in with his son, Tommy. While I was filling out my information card, a younger camper came up to Sharon and asked for three "C" batteries (Lesson 1 to myself: Remember batteries). She found some from her personal collection (Bob/Sharon live at a house on the grounds) and gave the batteries to him as a courtesy with a big smile.

My wife and I have two relatively big (110 lb +/-) lab mixes, and like any dog lover will tell you, they are definitely part of our family. One of the reasons we bought a camper was so that we didn't need to leave our furry friends behind when we travel. That being said (or typed), I knew this campground would be a great first experience when Tommy's young dog came up and greeted me. Sharon told me that dogs were welcome all over their campground, and didn't require leashes, as long as they weren't aggressive. Tommy walked over to my pull through, full hook-up campsite and offered to help me with anything I needed. The campground is relatively small with roughly 25 full hook-up sites and has a few "permanents" that only stay in their RV during the week. There were a few other travelers with RV's there, a family staying in a yurt and another family in the cabin. This campground was the perfect spot for me to try this whole RV thing on my own, without a bunch of people getting free entertainment by watching me make a fool of myself. Heck, I didn't even need to back the trailer in!

Now don't get me wrong, my parents bought a camper when I was in college and I did my fair share of camping with them. I know the usual things that go with setting up and tearing down a RV, but I learned you can never prepare for everything. I spent a good 5 minutes trying to jack the trailer up, lifting my rear bumper with it every time, only to remember that I had to slide the lock into the back/open position (Lesson 2: Learn how to unhook the trailer quickly before the next trip). Luckily, Katie didn't notice me struggling with the hitch since she was watching our son ride his bike and playing fetch with the dogs, or I think she would still be poking fun at me about it. Stabilizers came down pretty easy and lucky for me the camper has leveling bubbles located on all four sides. I realized I must have been standing on a hill while eyeballing this operation because when I checked, I could barely see the bubbles in the levelers. Finally, I get the leveling out of the way and now the fun can begin.

Hooking up the 30 AMP power cord was pretty straight forward, as was the water hose with the pressure regulator in-line. CampingWorld sells a relatively cheap, but very useful, starter kit that includes a sewage hose, water hose, water pressure regulator, RV toilet paper, septic tank cleaner, & a 30 AMP/110V adapter. Katie kept asking me to hook up the lav for her since she didn't want to go explore the public facilities just yet. (As it turns out, they had dual bathrooms and showers, in the center of the campground just built a year ago, and they keep the facilities extremely clean.) I made sure to purge the air in the water line, and then I turned on our water heater to check it's function. Keep in mind, when I bought this used 2013 Keystone from CampingWorld, they showed me that the AC, fridge, freezer and electrical systems all worked, and they also pressure tested the gas line, but they never hooked up water to test the plumbing. The water heater worked great, so I turned it off and went outside to start doing what we bought this camper to do, spend some time as a family.

Katie asked for me to go back inside and grab something that I now don't remember. I went inside and heard water spraying in our bathroom and saw water flowing from the bathroom, through the kitchen area and towards the couch at the end of the trailer (Lesson 3: Clearly I did not level this damn trailer).

On a side note, my mom and dad gave me only a few reminders before I started this trip, one of which was to make sure the faucet was over the sink when I turned on the water. Funny story, they didn't and found water all over their kitchen. Hindsight....that isn't a funny story.

In my rush to get the lav ready, I didn't go in and check the shower head. I opened the the door expecting to get hit in the face from the shower, only to find water spraying from the back of the lav. I desperately stuck my hand blindly back where water was spraying from, inside the bathroom wall, in an attempt to find a valve, or maybe plug the line with my finger. I couldn't even figure out what the source of the water was with all the hoses hidden back there.

After what seemed like minutes, when in reality it was probably only a second or two, I came running out of the trailer yelling for Katie to grab all the towels since I had no clue where she put them (Lesson 4: Know where everything in your trailer is...everything). Remember, this is a relatively small campground, with probably 25 total sites, and only about 4 other families there at that time. I ran around my camper and truck and shut off the water at the spigot. With all the commotion, our quiet little site now seemed to be the center of attention. A few campers and the staff stopped by our site later to see if they could help, but with the exception of filling up our water cups all night, there wasn't much they could do. Don't get me wrong, I am very grateful that there were people that were kind enough to offer help when they saw us having a problem.

This incident happened around 08:30, CampingWorld closes at 8. I tried to contact them immediately, but of course, no one answers the phone. Now, I bought this camper used from CampingWorld, as-is, no warranty. I mean... come on.... who needs to pay for an extended warranty on a 1 year old camper, right?

I could drag this on for much longer, but that was the fun part. We managed to survive just fine filling up bottles of water for cooking and for using the lav minimally. After everything settled down, we had some mac'n'cheese and hot dogs for dinner. By then, it was beyond time to put our son to bed and we called it a night ourselves. The next morning, Katie and I decided it was too nice to leave first thing, so we hung out at the campground with our family, enjoyed the beautiful weather and officially met some of the other campers who had offered help the previous night. They were very friendly and invited us over to watch the races with them, but we decided to hit the short road home to clean out our camper and prepare it for next weekend.

While I was cleaning out the camper, I decided to see if I could feel/see what hose was broken or disconnected behind the lav. When I reached back into the wall opening at the base of the lav, I grabbed a bundle of about 20'-30' of rope that had been neatly wrapped and stuffed back there, with the other end attached to one of the hoses. I decided at that point to just put the rope back and let the professionals handle it. I'm guessing that someone was in the process of working on the water line to the lav and just stopped halfway through. I am hopeful that CampingWorld will step up to the plate and fix our camper this week as discussed.

Repair Status Updates:
I brought the camper in today 5/26 to be fixed (yes, the service department is open on Memorial Day), and I am waiting to hear back from them tomorrow. When I dropped it off, the service manager said they would handle it right away. The service agent asked me when I wanted it back, and he didn't seem to have any issues when I asked for it to be fixed by Wednesday. I called to check on it today around 5 and was told that it had not been processed yet. I am hoping the repairs are not too serious and we do not miss out on our planned trip to Jordan Lake for this weekend.

Hope you all enjoyed my first post to the forum and even though I haven't met any of you yet, I am sure it is only a matter of time before we cross paths in this large, yet surprisingly small, world of camping.

-Jimmy K.
K Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:17 AM   #2
B&T

Certainly an example of the need for a complete PDI when purchasing a New or Used camper and in this case, Camping World did short change you on the PDI since the Water should have been hooked up and leak tested. Regardless of no warranty, due to their incomplete PDI, if they don't do right by you an email to the Ceo Marcus would certainly be appropriate.

Jimmy K., I do admire your and your famly's positive attitude while going through your new adventure that really did no go as you expected.

Welcome to the forum!

Not that far away from you, --Fayetteville
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:25 AM   #3
GaryWT

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the trailer. Once repaired I am sure you will have lots of fun out camping. Dry out and enjoy.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:45 AM   #4
K Man

Thanks for the warm reception guys. B&T, if you know any local hidden gems, feel free to share. I would really like to take it to a state or national park along the beach, but the only state park is Carolina Beach (no elec) and the national park reservation website says nothing is ever available.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:56 AM   #5
vicali

Welcome, glad you're getting the kinks worked out
At least your next trip will be better
Old 05-27-2014, 07:53 AM   #6
theasphaltrv'er

to the wonderful world of RVing
Life is fantastic & gettin
better every day
theasphaltrv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:06 AM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

A quick word count of your first posting shows that you just might be in the running for the New Member Check In "Longest Introduction" award. I've submitted your post to our selection committee to determine the actual word count. Its findings will be available soon but it will take some time to carry out the actual counting.

In the meantime, to the forum and I hope CW completes your repairs so you can take your second trip. Can't wait to hear about it. (In 100 words or less)
Old 05-27-2014, 09:05 AM   #8
Ken / Claudia

Nice post, sounds like a great place to camp. Include me in those same problems with the RV at one time or another. Glad to read that you did not give up or go home mad.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:31 AM   #9
K Man

Festus2: My first post on the board and I'm already being considered for an award? You all really know how to make us newbies feel welcome!

Ken/Claudia: It really was the perfect campground to just get our feet wet. As simple as it may seem, not worrying about the dogs wandering around during the set-up was a big relief.

asphalt & vicali: Thanks for the greetings to the forum, and I certainly hope next time is better, that is, if we ever get our camper back.

There are multiple CW dealers around our area. I'm sure you all have noticed I haven't said which specific one yet because I want to give them a chance to correct the problem. But based on what multiple people have told me, the service department at this location isn't all that swift.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:30 PM   #10
buzzcop63

Wife and I got started camping again in March 2012 with new truck and TT trailer. Did a lot of studying along the way waiting for retirement and the time to travel. Thought I would pass on a few of the things I learned the hard way.

1. If running on 30 Amps do not run A/C and Micro Wave at same time, watch what you have running or the Circuit Breaker on the Pedestal or in the trailer will open.

2. Do not run the toilet fan when the toilet valve is open (flushing) you wind up drafting air down the Black tank vent and into the trailer, not good on the old nose!

3. Buy if you do not have a clear pipe for the Black Tank drain hose and when you dump attach to the trailers drain pipe, helps know when tanks are empty and if you have a Black tank flush when the Black tank is clean.

4. Getting weight checked at a scale is a very good idea. Keep weight down as best you can. If trailer is TT check height of wheel wells front and back of truck before attaching trailer and after, want front height to be same loaded as when unloaded, this will show how well weight transfer hitch is working.

5. Check tire pressure on trailer each time you hit the road.

6. Check date on your tires, (DOT4512 example) tire made in week 45 of year 2012. Tires age out faster then they where out. Four to five years.

7. Watch your speed, heavy trailers are hard on tires, and 55 MPH gives better mileage and less heat in the tire.

8. Tire Minder is a good investment for safety.

9. Hand signals agreed upon before backing up and the person signaling should always be visible to the driver.

10. Small portable electric heaters work great and save LP gas when temperatures above freezing.

11. Sky lights, they can let in a lot of light in the morning as well as heat and cold, Camping World has a great push in cushion that just fills the skylight.

12. You can run Refrigerator on LP the night before loading so it is ready to go in the Morning if no 110V is available.

13. Wipe dishes and drain any cans into garbage bag, do not dump down drain, rots and can build up in Gray tanks.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:13 PM   #11
K Man

Thanks Buzzcop, I will keep all of those items in mind this weekend.

CampingWorld told me that they fixed the leak after I decided to call them and check on the status of the repair myself. When I was finally able to get through to the service desk (third time is a charm!) the service agent on the phone asked for my name and when I dropped it off. When I told him it was yesterday first thing in the AM, he immediately told me it probably hasn't even been touched. I am starting to think that's a standard line they feed customers when they don't want to check on the status. I explained to him that Joe Roberts (not his real name, but introduced himself to me as service manager when we met) had told me they would get it taken care of immediately because it happened the same day I took delivery. I was quickly informed that Joe Roberts did not work in the service department and had no right to tell me that. The service agent then decided to check on the status and informed me that it was ready for pickup. I am sure glad I didn't wait until they called me and I am also glad that when he told me it probably hadn't even been touched, I pushed back just enough for him to actually check.

I was considering going by there today after work to get it, but after the way everything has gone thus far, I think it's best for me to go when the service department is still open and have them pressurize the water system while I watch. I hate to be like this, but I certainly do not get a warm and fuzzy feeling that my issue was properly addressed. I guess we will see what happens tomorrow and hopefully that will be the final update on my camper.....or swimming pool.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:46 PM   #12
Festus2
Site Team

Maybe we should consider starting a new thread under the "Keystone RV Service and Warranty Issues" and leave this thread for an opportunity for members to welcome our new member, K Man, so we can get "back on track".
Thank you.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:15 PM   #13
murphysranch

I LOVED the dialog you wrote. Waiting for more.....And I laughed out loud when I read Festus' award comment!
murphysranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:47 PM   #14
JimmyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphysranch View Post
I LOVED the dialog you wrote. Waiting for more.....And I laughed out loud when I read Festus' award comment!
Agreed! K Man, you are quite the storyteller!

Post up some photos of that new rig of yours!
JimmyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:50 AM   #15
K Man

Thanks Murphy and Jimmy. I'll try to keep updating everyone as we continue our travels, but I doubt I can match that first time experience, at least I hope that was a one time deal. I will post some photos of the camper and campsite we visit this weekend.

Festus, just let me know where is the more appropriate area on the forum to post summaries of future trips.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:38 AM   #16
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Man View Post

Festus, just let me know where is the more appropriate area on the forum to post summaries of future trips.
K Man I'll send you a PM.