Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2014, 12:46 PM   #1
HandL

Tire pressure question

We just took delivery of our first new Bullet 217rbs. The dealer was 6 hrs away and the way the weather has been we decided to have it delivered.When the trailer was delivered I checked the pressure on the tires to double check and found between 33 to 35 pounds of pressure on the 4 tires. The max rating on the tire states 50 psi. What the question is...... the manufacturers sticker on the trailer says the tires should be inflated to 50 psi. Not really surprised that the dealer sent the trailer low but am wondering why Keystone would put a 50 psi max tire on a trailer that needs 50 psi as a routine? Should I pump up the tires to max? Seems like putting the psi to max all the time may be just as harmful as under inflating.
HandL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
Bob Landry

You'll get less heating and greater longevity out of the tires by running them at max pressure, both trailer and TV.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:51 PM   #3
f6bits

I keep mine between 49 and 50. Unless something is wrong with your trailer's alignment, your tires won't wear out in the 5 years they normally last. At about 5 years, sun and weather take their toll.
http://www.americastire.com/dtcs/inf...rTireFacts.dos

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:30 PM   #4
HandL

Thanks for the info folks. The link was very informative. I now have the knowledge to maintain my trailer tires properly. Glad I asked!
Old 02-16-2014, 08:25 PM   #5
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandL View Post
We just took delivery of our first new Bullet 217rbs. The dealer was 6 hrs away and the way the weather has been we decided to have it delivered.When the trailer was delivered I checked the pressure on the tires to double check and found between 33 to 35 pounds of pressure on the 4 tires. The max rating on the tire states 50 psi. What the question is...... the manufacturers sticker on the trailer says the tires should be inflated to 50 psi. Not really surprised that the dealer sent the trailer low but am wondering why Keystone would put a 50 psi max tire on a trailer that needs 50 psi as a routine? Should I pump up the tires to max? Seems like putting the psi to max all the time may be just as harmful as under inflating.
If your tires have been riding around on 33-35 psi since leaving the factory they have already been severely mistreated. Tires being operated 20% or more below the vehicle manufacturers recommended tire pressures are considered to be in a "run flat" condition. They should be removed and inspected by a certified tire technician.

What you have found is a very common practice in the RV trailer community. Doing nothing about it normally results in early tire tread separations/sudden early failures.

I’m sorry, but in my opinion your tires are no longer trustworthy and should be replaced before any camping trips at normal loaded conditions.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:32 AM   #6
jsmith948

I would agree with CW and I would ask the dealer to replace the tires AT HIS EXPENSE.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:18 AM   #7
RichR

Somehow I think the dealer will want you to prove the TP was that low. How can you do that? I would at least put them on notice of your finding, and do it in writing.
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:11 PM   #8
HandL

Thanks for the info everyone! I do appreciate it.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:07 PM   #9
Dave-Gray

This following statement comes from Fifth Wheel St.

Selecting the Correct Tire Pressure for Your Trailer

We at Fifth Wheel St. no longer recommend adjusting trailer tire inflation pressure below the maximum load PSI rating molded on the sidewall (and only if the wheel/rim is appropriately rated) regardless of the measured scaled weight of individual tire or axle positions for all multi-axle trailers.

08 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4, Dually, 6.7L Diesel, K&N cold air intake system, B&W Gooseneck with 5th Wheel Companion, Firestone Air Bags
SOB: 09 Toy Hauler with Trail Air Tri Glide Air Ride Pin Box.
Dave-Gray is offline   Reply With Quote