Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2014, 11:12 PM   #1
Ken / Claudia

Vent Covers

I leave the vents open year round while trailer is parked and have covers on them, 3rd RV with them. We had about 10-12 inchs of snow on the roof last week and it melted in 2 days. I went into the trailer thinking of finding water on the floor under the open vents and where was none. I was happy, happy, happy.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:35 AM   #2
TAZ23

Yep! Thats the way mine work also. Only we will end up with snow on the roof all winter from about November to March or April (last year May). Never had a drop of water inside. Come on spring. Forcast for today is 4 to 6 inches more of the white stuff.
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:34 AM   #3
f6bits

My covered vents do extremely well. The only time water gets in is when I wash the roof and spray lots of water around. I just need to remember to close the vents when I wash the roof.
However, I think in a strong rainstorm with a strong tailwind, you'll get water inside.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:48 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

In a blowing snow, the drifting can fill the vent covers with packed snow. When it warms up, there's no place for the melting snow to go except inside the RV if it's drifted around an open vent. I've only had this happen one time, but that was enough for me to start closing the vents when I store my RV for the winter. Once the snow covers the vent cover, there's little chance of blowing snow getting into the cover, but there's also no venting going to take place because the snow seals the vent closed. In warmer climates where there's not as much snow, open vents may be great, but in snow and ice, I'd keep a close eye on what's blowing around inside the vent cover... Just my thoughts, yours may vary.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:01 AM   #5
Steve S

I'm going to invest in some soon, do they come in clear and I'm going to assume they're screwed down?
Old 02-17-2014, 09:11 AM   #6
rode2nowhere

They have clips, they won't come off
rode2nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:12 AM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

I have not seen clear, most come in white or smoke and I have seen a few black. I prefer the MaxAir smoke since they are polycarbonate and almost indestructible. They mount to the vents curbing not to the roof so no leaks. I used their flip open mounts (not the right name just my description) which allows for cleaning and inspection of roof sealant around vent without removing the cover. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:24 AM   #8
Povo

vents

I also use the MaxAir. They are easy to install and the holes needed are not drilled into the roof to no leaking. You do want to check your placement (front to back) to make sure you the correct space for your vents to open (speaking from experience). It's really nice to be able to drive with the vents open.

Patrick

Central Oregon
2014 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ram 3500
B&W Companion Hitch
Povo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:16 AM   #9
Steve S

So MaxAir is the way to go then, I like the idea of clips and no screws as I want to take them off in the summer for more light.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:03 AM   #10
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
So MaxAir is the way to go then, I like the idea of clips and no screws as I want to take them off in the summer for more light.
Steve, they mount to the curb of the vent by drilling holes and inserting machine screws and nuts. They also make a mount that allows you to hinge them open for cleaning but they do not simply "CLIP" on and off. They do allow plenty of light in and you can even see through the smoke tint.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:12 PM   #11
Steve S

So if they tilt back for cleaning I'm thinking I could have a clip to keep them open.
I really want to stay away from tinted as natural light is what I'm looking for.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:16 AM   #12
limey

I like the Maxxair vents too - and yes, they mount to the vent "lip", not through the roof. However, I "think" they come with self-tapping screws, and on our prior RV, several of these came out - leaving one vent held by one screw! It made a strange knocking sound that took me weeks to figure out!

So, with that in mind, when I put the covers on our new Montana, I used stainless steel machine screws with lock washers! It means you have to mark, and drill, the holes, but the peace-of-mind was worth it!

Eric & Mary (& George)
Montana 3150RL
Dodge RAM 2500, Cummins
Pentwater, Michigan
limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:25 AM   #13
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey View Post
I like the Maxxair vents too - and yes, they mount to the vent "lip", not through the roof. However, I "think" they come with self-tapping screws, and on our prior RV, several of these came out - leaving one vent held by one screw! It made a strange knocking sound that took me weeks to figure out!

So, with that in mind, when I put the covers on our new Montana, I used stainless steel machine screws with lock washers! It means you have to mark, and drill, the holes, but the peace-of-mind was worth it!
Yes, it has been so long I forgot about that. I did the same and one still came loose so I replaced all the nuts with elastic stopnuts so they can not come loose.