Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2013, 06:38 AM   #1
x96mnn

Snow on the Roof

Live in Nova Scotia and know many other parts of Canada are getting hit as bad if not worse. I have not seen snow like this since I was a kid, over a foot of hard snow on the roofs of many RVs out there and I hope people are keeping an eye on the situation as it can cause some major issues.

You can get a snow rake at Home Depot for about 50 dollars which works well, it will not break through the ice but at least keep the new snow from building higher. We are only coming into the months that we normally get our snow so if what we have already and double that, it will not be good.

Stay safe people, May cannot come soon enough for me!
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:42 AM   #2
cabinfever

We have had over 5.5 feet of snow so far this winter. I was close to dragging snow off the house roof a couple times, but we had 2 big warm ups that melted almost all the snow. We are starting again today, 12"-24" expected by Friday am. As for the TT, the snow doesn't worry me much. The span is very short. I also believe messing on the roof of any trailer may cause more issues than it prevents. My work trailer, 8 years old, has a much less supported roof on it than the TT and has never had snow removed from it with no problems or leaks.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:53 AM   #3
airforceret

I remember one winter we had so much snow, that I literally hoisted my little snow blower onto the roof of the house to use. LOL
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
x96mnn

Seeing a lot of snow blowers on commercial building roofs around here and I do agree theat trying to clear roofs can cause more damage. My hope is I am a few inches above everything except the air conditioner and if I just keep the new snow fall off it will make out ok.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Since the weight of the snow is pretty much evenly distributed over the entire surface, the roof should be able to adequately support it. I might get a bit "antsy" if the depth of the snow got in excess of a couple of feet followed by steady rain. If you ever shoveled soaking wet snow, you know how heavy each shovelful can be!

For peace of mind, careful removal of some of the snow might not be a bad idea - especially if you are expecting rain afterwards and you have a large accumulation already.