Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2020, 07:21 AM   #1
CDAG02

LED Strip Lighting Under Awning

Has anyone had to replace the strip lighting under the awning? I bought a 2015 Bullet used and am guessing the lighting was put in at the factory. Half of the lights are not working so looking to just buy a replacement strip without the need to rewire everything. Any brands out there that you recommend?
CDAG02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:33 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're looking for "basic lighting" without the frills of color changing, fast follow, flashing or strobe light options, this is what I bought in 2016 for my awning. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Back then it was about $20, now it's a bit more, around $40 or so. It comes with a silicone sheath that makes it 100% waterproof if you use clear silicone to seal the ends of the sheath after you cut it to size. Mine are going on 4 years old and every LED still works.

It's bright, there's no option to dim or change colors or any other "features". It's "just a soft, non-blue light strip".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 05:29 AM   #3
Mastrblastr

I upgraded my awning a while back and had to install a new light strip as the old one was attached to the awning. Went with one similar to the one JRTJH installed except I went with the bright white instead. The original one I had had LED's about an 1-1/2" spacing and was adequate for lighting. The light strip I installed have LED's much closer together so there is WAY more lights. The first time I switched them on at night I was like "WHOA!!!! That's bright!!" It's actually too bright for my liking. I should have gone with a soft white instead, or maybe tried to find a strip with fewer LED's. The strip I installed is 16.4' and has 300 LED's. Half as many would have been fine.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:35 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastrblastr View Post
I upgraded my awning a while back and had to install a new light strip as the old one was attached to the awning. Went with one similar to the one JRTJH installed except I went with the bright white instead. The original one I had had LED's about an 1-1/2" spacing and was adequate for lighting. The light strip I installed have LED's much closer together so there is WAY more lights. The first time I switched them on at night I was like "WHOA!!!! That's bright!!" It's actually too bright for my liking. I should have gone with a soft white instead, or maybe tried to find a strip with fewer LED's. The strip I installed is 16.4' and has 300 LED's. Half as many would have been fine.
Are they dimmable? Check the packaging they came in if they are dimmable LEDs then you can add in a dimmer to the circuit. I don't like the bright "used car lot" lighting either.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 05:43 AM   #5
Mastrblastr

Not dimmable Flybuoy as I bought a cheap strip (serves me right). Looked at that as an option after I turned them on and saw it was like a tanning booth!

For what they cost I might get a dimmable strip and just replace it and install a dimmer switch when we are out camping. Not a hard job really
Old 05-29-2020, 05:59 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastrblastr View Post
Not dimmable Flybuoy as I bought a cheap strip (serves me right). Looked at that as an option after I turned them on and saw it was like a tanning booth!

For what they cost I might get a dimmable strip and just replace it and install a dimmer switch when we are out camping. Not a hard job really
I bought a cheap, multicolor dimmable set for about $30 when CW was asking over $120 for a white non dimmable string (this was a few years ago). The first set lasted me over 2 years. So I calculated that at that rate I could replace them 6 times over a ~12 yr period. So I ordered 2 spare sets. I still have one set remaining 6 years later. I like the dimmable as we used to camp with our daughter. As she has a pop up we became the bathhouse. I'd leave the lights on very low and with a blue green hue so you could just see not to trip over the chairs and junk .
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:53 AM   #7
mikz86ta

This one attached to the awning tube or attached to the side of the RV?

Our Carefree of Colorado awning has a strip that's on the tube. We could replace it with a stick-on LED but Carefree does sell their replacement part on their website. It's way overpriced tho.
We also have the Fuzion 420 5th wheel with side patio and we have a second strip attached to the RV side that shines outward. It's available at TerkwoodRV website replacement parts.

But honestly, just go to a LED specialize store online, pick one that's outdoor use, and has 3M adhesive tape at minimum. You can get color change, dimmable, etc. Just needs to be 12volt to hook up to you existing wires
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:01 PM   #8
calltrex

boogylights are high quality.

installed on last trailer

https://www.boogeylights.com/
calltrex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, led, light