Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2020, 12:02 PM   #1
SkywalkerPhD

Outback 335CG Extended Service Plans

We are getting ready to take the plunge and purchase an Outback 335CG. We are looking at extended service plans but there are so many options out there from both the dealer and online. Does anyone have any suggestions for good reliable warranties that offer mobile techs?

Thanks!
SkywalkerPhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:17 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You put 3 words in a description that are incompatible with the phrase, "RV Extended Warranty". They are "Good", "Reliable" and "Warranty"... They simply don't go together....

That said, if you look through the forum, you'll find far more people that have been disappointed by the "small print exclusions" in RV Extended Warranty claims than you will members who have benefitted by them. So, if you do seriously consider buying one, ask for a copy of the policy, read the exclusions very carefully. You'll probably be surprised at what's NOT covered.

Most people would suggest taking the $2500 cost of a "RV service insurance policy" and investing it at your local credit union. If you have a failure after the first 2 years (the manufacturer's warranty on nearly every component in your RV) then draw money out of your "investment account" to have it repaired. Chances are very good that you'll have money left over at the end of the insurance policy expiration.

Another "must do" is to pay for the "extended service policy" in cash. Otherwise, if you finance it with the RV, say for 12 years, you'll be paying interest and principle for 7 years after that 5 year term expires... Total cost, much MUCH more than the original price of $2500.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:17 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Save your money!! Put a set amount aside in a savings account, and if there are no issues after 5 years, buy something nice.
I’m not aware of any extended service contracts that staff mobile techs. Usually they will pay an “authorized” tech who may be excellent or lousy.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:23 PM   #4
Canonman

We picked up the Camping World extended warranty. I cannot recommend this or any other extended warranty. All are basically an insurance policy. Usually a deductible involved with any claim. Further there are so many loopholes and disclaimers they almost never have to pay for repairs. One of the biggest "gotchas" is having to have documented proof of annual preventative maintenance.
First year issues are covered by the trailer manufacturer. Other multi-year warranties on the some of the appliances and roof are covered by the individual manufacturers of those products.
In the end, you'd be better off taking the money you'd spend on the extended plan, putting it in the bank and using it as needed for any repairs.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:25 PM   #5
SkywalkerPhD

Thanks. The standard "bumper to bumper" warranty on the Outback is only 1-year. I wish it were two. There is structural 3-year warranty.

We just sold a 13 year old RVision and I don't think that I had to do a major repair to it ever. That being said, that campuer did not have an electronic stabilizer system, two 15,000 BTU AC units, and a load of other electronic components that this one does.

It seems kind of sad to me that a $42,000 camper only carries a 1-year warranty, whereas my $42,000 truck has a 3-year and 5-year on the powertrain.
SkywalkerPhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:53 PM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkywalkerPhD View Post
Thanks. The standard "bumper to bumper" warranty on the Outback is only 1-year. I wish it were two. There is structural 3-year warranty.

We just sold a 13 year old RVision and I don't think that I had to do a major repair to it ever. That being said, that campuer did not have an electronic stabilizer system, two 15,000 BTU AC units, and a load of other electronic components that this one does.

It seems kind of sad to me that a $42,000 camper only carries a 1-year warranty, whereas my $42,000 truck has a 3-year and 5-year on the powertrain.

Mentioning all the electronics onboard, if you don't already have a surge protector/EMS, get one ASAP either hardwired or portable.
As for the extended warranty, skip it, post the issue on here & you'll get all the information you need to make most any repair yourself. If you need a mobile tech go online, look at reviews & give one a call.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 02:57 PM   #7
Canonman

That finance guy at the dealership can talk faster than a Tennessee auctioneer. He'll have you believing the extended warranty is an absolute "necessity" so you can control all your maintenance costs. We thought the same thing as you after hearing the sales schpeel. All those expensive accessories; A/C, Fridge, Furnace etc etc. Take a really close look at what they exclude. a real close look. For a one page list of what they do cover there are three pages of very fine print with all the disclaimers and requirements to "qualify" any claim.
The only way these guys can make any money is to hold on to your money.
IMHO you're better off holding on to your money and only spending it if the situation arises.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 03:19 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkywalkerPhD View Post

Not defending Keystone but the comparison is apples to baseballs. I doubt you cook, sleep, shower, and entertain 6 or 8 friends at a time in your truck.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 03:30 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Depending on the provider, the dealer and your future circumstances you may find an extended warranty beneficial....in a special and rare circumstance. I have had that benefit....once. (Of course it was the only time I bought an extended warranty on an RV). But the words that have been spoken previously in this thread should be heeded.

Case in point; bought this new trailer. Finance guy wanted to sell about a zillion things, told him I was buying a trailer, not financing half a dozen other enterprises. Well, interestingly, he went into a paint and furniture "treatment" guaranteed for 5 years....GUARANTEED?? So I ask what does it do? He says, paint fades/oxidizes..."congratulations, you get a new paint job!!" Furniture (pleather) peels or deteriorates..."congratulations, you get new furniture!" So I told him I never heard of that and don't see how they stay in business if they did. No he says, it's true. I tell him to let me read the paperwork to assure myself that that is the case. Well, he doesn't have that until I agree to purchase it and he prints it out. Really? Yep. Then he says I read up on everything I sell and what I'm telling you is the bonafide truth. I couldn't sell you something unless I knew it was true....(sound familiar)? I had him verify and repeat that about 6 times in front of me and DW. I finally told him; I have no doubt this is a scam but you have assured me repeatedly that this is what you say (he affirmed). I will buy it (2395) but, BUT, if it isn't everything you say it is I will be here, right in front of you in this chair with the GM as we "work" it out. He still said all was OK. Bought the trailer and the package - and by the way, he told me 3-4 time that this coverage was "non refundable" to be clear.

Got home and read the paperwork that night. Hmmm, no such thing as "new furniture"; no such thing as "new paint job", just buffing of the paint if they deem it needs it and "chemical" repair of furniture peeling etc. Not quite "congratulations, new xxxx".

Long story short, got hold of the GM and told him to tell xxx the coverage wasn't what he said, I was coming to "see" him and I wanted him to be with me so advise him. He called back and said to not come in. He would take care of it. I sent him the BBB complaints and the responses from the company stating specifically they didn't paint trailers or replace furniture and told him to educate his finance guy. I received a refund on my non refundable purchase.

All to say (sorry for the long story....just kind of fall into it) be VERY careful about what you purchase and the "tales" they spin to sell it to you. Many if not most fail, or refuse, to tell you the real details or limitations.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 03:45 PM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

And I might add I've heard that some dealers will tell you that the finance company requires it if you are financing thru the dealership. Just another shameful scam that some attempt.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 06:33 PM   #11
Bob R

When I was buying they kept pushing extended warranty, GAP and all kinds of crap at me. I told them no once, then again. When the door opened behind me (I thought Sales Manager) I stood up and said we were done. Jaws dropped, women fainted and there was much blustering by sales lady. There was no more talk about anything but business of getting out of there. It wasn't the Sales Manager but the service guy telling me something had been fixed. They had no idea (or maybe they did) of how close I came to walking out. My wife was onboard with me so we would have walked out, got in the truck and left.

Suffice to say I am not a fan of extended warranties!

Tacoma RV.

bob

Tags
outback