Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2020, 04:43 PM   #41
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
Sounds like you are hooking the charger up correctly.

Some will say all battery cables need to be equal length between batteries.
Some will also say that all 3 batteries need to be the same manufacturer, model and same age.

If you are having any issues, you could unhook them and charge each separately. Then you could monitor the resting voltage and see if one is weak and drawing the other two down.
I connected my 3 batteries correct and connected the 3 amp trickle charger it was reading 60 % incorrect connection was 80% . I ran the generator building up the voltage of the third battery . With the batteries connected right the 3 amp charger is reading full. I have 3 agm Everready 115 amp hour batteries going on 3 years old . Reconnect the control charger now the panels will charge the the batteries equal. It’s in the poll barn but it should charge the same as the 3 amp trickledown charger. I was having havoc with my volt meter wired directly to the batteries hopefully it will be more consistent. Should the volt meter be wired the sam as solar charger?
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:29 AM   #42
bbells

Some generators and converters don't get along. Borrow or rent a high amp charger and try that. If it works fine then your gen and conv don't like each other.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:54 AM   #43
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbells View Post
Some generators and converters don't get along. Borrow or rent a high amp charger and try that. If it works fine then your gen and conv don't like each other.
Remember this: If you connect a charger to the battery bank AND leave the converter connected (and powered on) they (converter and stand alone charger) will "compete with each other"... What typically happens is the stand alone charger will supply enough power to turn off the "charging sensor" in the converter and the converter will produce enough voltage to turn off the "charging sensor" in the stand alone charger....

In other words, with two voltage sensing circuits "competing with each other", neither one will "see a charge required condition" at their connection at the battery terminals....

So, disconnect the converter (turn it off, unplug it, or disconnect it) if you're going to "clamp a stand alone charger" to the battery terminals.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:25 AM   #44
GHen

I think JRTJH is right on. Good advice.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery