Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2020, 06:40 AM   #1
Gobirds38

Winterized

We bought our TT last fall and took it to the storage place. I have been looking around at it and noticed that the Black and Gray tank valves were open. Is this something to do with it being winterized by the dealer or a mistake by them???

2020 Keystone Passport GT 2521RL 30 FT.
Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH 1000 LBS Bars.
2016 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4X4 All Terrain V8 5.3
Gobirds38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:54 AM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobirds38 View Post
We bought our TT last fall and took it to the storage place. I have been looking around at it and noticed that the Black and Gray tank valves were open. Is this something to do with it being winterized by the dealer or a mistake by them???
Hmmmm. Is the cap on the end? If a new trailer, you should be fine, as the water that MAY come out will be clean. If a used trailer, well, all bets are off as to what will flow. Just be prepared. Not that they are always accurate, but do your tznknsensors show any volume?

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:03 AM   #3
Gobirds38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Hmmmm. Is the cap on the end? If a new trailer, you should be fine, as the water that MAY come out will be clean. If a used trailer, well, all bets are off as to what will flow. Just be prepared. Not that they are always accurate, but do your tznknsensors show any volume?
Yes caps are all on and it is a brand new TT. Tank sensors are showing all empty. My command center ( this is what I call it) has indicators for 2 Black and 2 Gray tanks. I can only find 1 Black and 2 Gray tanks ( dump outlets outside)...

Old 03-10-2020, 07:03 AM   #4
Brentw

Everybody has there own idea as to how to leave the valves. Generally if I do a good drain when I winterize, I will close the valves, a bit of water or antifreeze against the valve all winter will do no harm. Many years of this practice in northern Canada with no issues.
Or they may have forgotten them.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:14 AM   #5
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobirds38 View Post
Yes caps are all on and it is a brand new TT. Tank sensors are showing all empty. My command center ( this is what I call it) has indicators for 2 Black and 2 Gray tanks. I can only find 1 Black and 2 Gray tanks ( dump outlets outside)...
Then you may get a little water/antifreeze out. Make sure your gate valves are closed to limit this.

The lights inside at your command center are generic. They may or may not reflect the number of tanks you have on your trailer.

Do you have the two greys plumbed into the one drain pipe? You may have a separate grey valve and grey if not.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:16 AM   #6
Gobirds38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Then you may get a little water/antifreeze out. Make sure your gate valves are closed to limit this.

The lights inside at your command center are generic. They may or may not reflect the number of tanks you have on your trailer.

Do you have the two greys plumbed into the one drain pipe? You may have a separate grey valve and grey if not.
I have the Black and Gray into 1 valve in the center and 1 Gray in the back of the TT.

Old 03-10-2020, 08:19 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

GoBirds38, did the dealer not do a PDI when you purchased the camper? The dealer could have left them open or someone could have opened them without their knowledge.

When I winterize I pour antifreeze down the toilet. and sinks and let it set against the closed valves.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize