Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2019, 10:26 PM   #1
TJO

RV CRUSHES TRUCK ON 1st TOW!

Well that sucks! Cudo's to the guy for showing his mistake.

I was taught the very first time to do a pull test every time I hook up to move. So far I haven't had an Issue. I always check the latch position as well.

Tom
TJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 12:23 AM   #2
notanlines

Probably a 'high hitch' on a questionable quality hitch. (Yes, personal opinion, not necessarily fact) No tug-test and no legs down for his lack of tug-test. He'll be smarter from now on.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 03:16 AM   #3
Logan X

I saw that video as well. I was impressed that he would share such a mistake on the internet, I think it shows a lot of character and integrity. I’m sure his video will help others not make the same mistake. Also, this was not his first fifth wheel. They have been full time in a fifth wheel for at least a year or two.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 05:11 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

They said they "were just going to move it over a few spaces". That's when Murphy rears up and laughs at you. So often these tales start with " I was only" (not hold my beer and watch this!). See all do it, or did it and learned.

I'll bet if they were hitching up to head out on the road they would have paid more attention to what they were doing.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 05:57 AM   #5
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

My hitch isn't automatic. I have the B&W and it has a handle you use to lock the kingpin into the hitch. you can deferentially know if you got it locked. You have to put a pin in the handle to keep the handle closed. sorry this guy had that problem that sucks. I would throw that hitch in the trash and get the B&W
+Ruff Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 06:02 AM   #6
Rangerj

Boy, I can empathize. Did the same thing on my second trip. Don't laugh or say "it won't happen to me." It's like the old adage when I was flying airplanes regarding landing with the wheels up. "There's two kinds of pilots, those that have landed with gear up, and those that will." Well I got by with over 30 years of pilot in command without making that mistake, but about 30 minutes before I dropped the Sprinter on my truck! Oh well, fixed the truck with a $100 set of bed rail covers. Now have the Anderson Ultimate Hitch, so that shouldn't happen again.
In flying airplanes always used a check list. I have said many times I needed to do the same thing with my fifth wheel. I'm sure many of you have a check list. Would love it if you shared it with us.

Johnnie, Suzanne and Dixie Blue
2018 336fbok Jayco
2011 3500 Ram DRW 6.7 Cummins
Rangerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:01 AM   #7
vampress_me

Seeing a video like that makes me cringe. Poor guy, that sucks. On the flip side, that’s also why I love my B&W hitch. The jaws have to be around the kingpin securely to put the lock pin in the latch handle and frame holes. But, I still double-check visually and do a pull test every time. I’m only a little paranoid, LOL.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 06:35 PM   #8
Tbos

I watched the video that preceded this one. The guy he purchased it from wasn’t real clear when he was providing directions. When he hitched it up he didn’t move the handle down to lock it like he had been shown. I always worry about doing something like this too. Particularly when I’m in a hurry or get distracted.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 06:42 AM   #9
rbrdriver

That is exactly why I love our B & W Companion. When you visually confirm king-pin is in correct spot, and handle has pin in it there is no way the trailer is coming loose that I can see anyways.
rbrdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 07:04 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrdriver View Post
That is exactly why I love our B & W Companion. When you visually confirm king-pin is in correct spot, and handle has pin in it there is no way the trailer is coming loose that I can see anyways.
It's the same with our CURT hitch. When the indicator is red, the jaws are unlocked, when yellow, in the ready position and when the indicator is green, the jaws are in the locked position. That ONLY means that the jaws (not the kingpin) are "locked and ready".... If the pin isn't in the handle, it can "come apart on you" or if the kingpin is above the jaws (high hitched) the indicator is still green, but put the TV in the "go slot" and push on the "go pedal" and the trailer may (or may not) keep up with the TV.... At the first bump, chaces are you can function test your breakaway switch/lanyard....

Even with a "green indicator" there's always a chance that the kingpin isn't locked IN the jaws.....

Not to mention the cams that lock the hitch legs to the pucks or the pins that lock the legs to the rails....

EVERY hitching, check EVERYTHING, then double check, then do a pull test with the landing gear slightly raised, then after raising the landing gear fully, open the tail gate, use a flash light to make sure the kingpin flange is BELOW the jaws, the locking pin is properly inserted and finally, that green indicator is showing...…

I've never (yet) landed "gear up" or pulled away from my fifth wheel (accidentally), but I've no illusions that it couldn't happen on the very next trip.... But in a 172, if I land 'gear up" there's more problems than just a lever out of position...…

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 02:38 PM   #11
spicercars

I always look to make sure the jaw is closed on the hitch before moving.
spicercars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 06:05 PM   #12
Frank G

Go back and take a good look at the hitch. There is a plastic anti friction pad attached to the hitch in the truck, then, they have the plastic disc on the trailer pin. The hitching errors start before they begin.

My wife does not understand a high hitch, I want some interference when backing under, she wants to raise the trailer up so there is clearance between the truck and trailer. I am real careful with this.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 06:19 PM   #13
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
Go back and take a good look at the hitch. There is a plastic anti friction pad attached to the hitch in the truck, then, they have the plastic disc on the trailer pin. The hitching errors start before they begin.

My wife does not understand a high hitch, I want some interference when backing under, she wants to raise the trailer up so there is clearance between the truck and trailer. I am real careful with this.
When I used to drive truck, always wanted the 5th plate to “pick” the trailer up. Many of the trailer I had didn’t have adjustable legs. You had to take it off with the trailer brakes set and pull out and trailer would drop a little. Got a bagged truck later and it was awesome for hitching.

But yes, I still like to pick my Alpine up when backing under. Then inspect jaws, then slight pull test holding trailer brakes on.
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 06:29 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

The jaws on my CURT hitch are a bright silver and the kingpin flange is also bright silver, which makes it hard to "glance and see which is which". I cleaned the kingpin flange with acetone, used some red reflective tape (safety tape) to wrap around the kingpin flange. Now, when I hitch, it's easy to verify that the reflective red is below the silver the hitch is not "high hitched".

I can see the reflective tape without a flash light, but I almost always use one anyway, probably more from old habits (before reflective tape) than from necessity.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 08:00 AM   #15
GeekSquadOfUn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
... I was impressed that he would share such a mistake on the internet, I think it shows a lot of character and integrity. ...
My exact sentiments. Not too many would post to a worldwide audience...
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:49 AM   #16
jsb5717

I'm guessing we all have "live-and-learn" moments. They might not all be hitch related but are embarrassing all the same. Sadly, some of those lessons are expensive.

I, too, have dropped a 5er onto my truck. I had just gotten a different hitch with a different latch and didn't follow all of the steps...my own fault...but never did it again.

It doesn't matter what kind of hitch you have, they all of a process for getting it road-ready. Miss a step in whatever process yours requires and...oops! Just make sure you've got the video camera rolling
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow