Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2020, 08:43 AM   #1
Bnrc73

LED Awning light

I’m adding a led light strip under my awning and I plan on wiring it into the porch light. My question is the strip I bought has a plug in on one end, and a red and black lead wires off the other end, Can I just wire the red and black leads into the porch light. I didn’t buy the dimmer that the plug in is for. Can that end be snipped off. Tried contacting the company I bought the light strip from, but their web site doesn’t seem to exist, and the e-mails don’t go through. Any help would be appreciated.
F350 SRW
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 09:11 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

The make/model or pics of both ends would help. "Most" LED strip lights are trim able for length but only at specified places. Usually they indicate a section say every third LED.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 12:38 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Two suggestions:

First, connect those two wires to a battery, red to + and black to -. The LED strip should light, if not, reverse the polarity. If it works with the wires, you can connect to the porch light at that point and cut off the other end to the correct length.

Second, Nearly all LED flexible strip lights are clearly marked with "scissors" where they can be cut. Look at your LED strip and you should find "scissors marks" similar to the ones in this photo.

If I were you, I'd check the LED's to make sure they work, then cut them to length, then test them again to make sure you didn't mess something up, then mount them and connect them. If you do it in that order, if there's a problem with the LED strip, you can return it to the seller. If there's a problem with where you cut the strip, you won't have to remove it from the trailer (a big mess) and that way, if you do have a functional LED strip through that process, you can be "reasonably assured" that it will work when you get it installed on your trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LED-Strip-Light-Cutting-Mark.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	27394  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:03 AM   #4
redfernclan

The other thing you might want to get is :GENSSI 1156 7506 BA15S Socket Wires Connector Base Adapter (Pack of 2)"
It's an adapter that plugs into the socket and gives you a pig tail to wire too. Just makes the install a whole lot cleaner and quicker. I did exactly what you are doing and the only other thing the the manufacturer recommended was to put a dab a silicone on the end that you cut to seal out the moisture.
redfernclan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, led, light