Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2020, 04:01 PM   #1
Hensmeister

Hideout 258LHS sway question

I have the camper mentioned in the title, bought new in 2018. First year I had a 2003 Chevy 2500 to tow with. (I used this truck for a while to deliver new campers to dealers so I have a few miles with them under my belt.) Later that year I traded for a 2015 Chevy 1500. Didn't use the weight distribution with the big truck, but used it on the new truck. Trailer GVWR is 7780 if memory serves correctly. Most noticeable above 60, the trailer would push the truck around like it was a piece of cardboard. Didn't notice the problem with the older truck but was bad enough I took state roads to the state park we were trying to get to that was 3 hours away. After we got back, I purchased a Reece torsion bar weight distribution and sway control hitch and installed it. First trip out seemed like it was doing its job. Second it was back to swaying like before. It hasn't been to the dealer we bought it from since they are over an hour away and weren't very nice when we had it in for the 1-year warranty check-up. Is there anything I could check to see why my trailer is swaying even when using the sway control? I'm about to trade my truck in on a bigger truck just so I can take my camper farther than 1 hour away on state roads. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks
Hensmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 04:46 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Which Reese WD? E2, E4?

What type of tires on the truck? Passenger or light truck?

Lots of factors can affect your system, and how it’s set up can be a big factor.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 05:00 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I am not familiar with the Reese wdh/sway unit. I will say that all wdh/sway units do not perform the same. Also, you need to make sure it is set up and adjusted correctly or you will have problems.

That said, a trailer weighing almost 8k lbs. and 29' will border on being too much for a 1/2 ton. Your 3/4 had LT tires I'm sure along with a beefier suspension. The lack of those things on a 1/2 ton really glare when you throw a load behind it.

You said you are going to get a larger truck and I would recommend that. After you get it make sure the hitch is installed correctly (etrailer makes a video on how to correctly install a Reese hitch). I figure you will find that your issues will pretty much go away with the heavier truck - mine did.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 05:33 PM   #4
Logan X

It’s probable better to have the 3/4 ton with a trailer that size. Your half ton is either overloaded or very close to it.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:38 AM   #5
Hensmeister

As an update, traded Silverado for a 2019 F-250. Took truck and trailer on a trip and wasn't happy. That truck needed a new front tire and swayed just as bad as the 1/2 ton. With a new set of tires and the same hitch I took it to a closer dealer that was going to look at the truck to see if there was a problem. No problem found but with 30mph wind gusts that day, it swayed bad. to the point I was steering in the direction of the wind to keep the truck and trailer straight and kept to back roads. I am going to have them set up the WD for this truck so I know it was done professionally. Going Thursday afternoon to get it done and bring the trailer home. We planned a trip to the Outer Banks NC so hopefully this will take care of our problem. I tried to convince the wife to trade it in for a Springdale 5th wheel but that didn't go very far...
Old 06-09-2020, 05:48 AM   #6
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hensmeister View Post
As an update, traded Silverado for a 2019 F-250. Took truck and trailer on a trip and wasn't happy. That truck needed a new front tire and swayed just as bad as the 1/2 ton. With a new set of tires and the same hitch I took it to a closer dealer that was going to look at the truck to see if there was a problem. No problem found but with 30mph wind gusts that day, it swayed bad. to the point I was steering in the direction of the wind to keep the truck and trailer straight and kept to back roads. I am going to have them set up the WD for this truck so I know it was done professionally. Going Thursday afternoon to get it done and bring the trailer home. We planned a trip to the Outer Banks NC so hopefully this will take care of our problem. I tried to convince the wife to trade it in for a Springdale 5th wheel but that didn't go very far...
If that reset up of the reese doesn't make it any better, ditch it.
Get a Blue ox sway pro and ensure the bar weight exceeds the weight of the
trailer. Given the weight of your trailer I would go with the 1500/ 15000 lb set up. No holes to drill, it took me a couple of trips to dial it in.
If you don't want to go that route, The Equalizer 4pt is also a great wd hitch.
Watch some you tube videos on the install and set up of both and make your choice.
Good luck

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 06:05 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
First question, how many miles on that truck? If the truck wore out "one front tire" something is wrong.

A WDH needs to bee set up for the truck it's being used on, period. They are not a "one adjustment fits all" device. Take the hitch install instructions and start at page one. For a comparative see my signature. I pull a 35 1/2' camper with a 10 yr old (exceptionally maintained) F250. A 30 m.p.h. crosswind will be felt but is easily handled. "Sway" has a two basic components, 1. the "perception" by the driver of the trailer moving sideways by xx amount and 2. the driver correcting for the sway.

It's easy for a driver that's not experienced with controlling sway to "over compensate" by "over correcting" with steering inputs that can induce more sway. If you get caught up in a sway event and over compensate you can get into trouble rapidly.

As for a fifth wheel if you are looking large that 3/4 ton won't be enough truck.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:25 AM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
The chest way to set up your WDH is get the instructions & do it yourself!
Two things happen by doing it this way, #1 you know how it's supposed to be set up correctly & #2 having it "done professionally" doesn't mean it was done correctly (see #1), professionally just means you paid someone else to do it.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:12 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

I'm wondering how a 2019 needed "a" new front tire (assuming one)? That seems like that would point to some sort of issue. Also, which Reese hitch do you have? I did a quick scan of them and don't see anything that would offer appreciable sway control but I'm sure I missed something. Didn't see any 4 point sway control either.

As far as "professional" installation of the hitch, IMO that would be one you do personally. My first go round with an Equalizer 4 point I had the dealer "professionally" install it for me. Trailer banged, clanged and wobbled the 60 miles home. Disconnected to check things out and lo and behold the ball (which required 300+lbs. torque) was about to fall off the hitch. It had 2 threads before it came off and about 1/2" of threads that needed tightening. Needless to say I was beyond POd. Had to buy a special torque wrench to get that stout (my existing stopped at about 250 I believe) and a special socket so I could do it myself. When I started the reinstall myself, going by the book, it seemed apparent that whoever installed it just pulled it out of the box, haphazardly threw the pieces together and sent me down the road - never again.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:30 AM   #10
Hensmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I'm wondering how a 2019 needed "a" new front tire (assuming one)? That seems like that would point to some sort of issue. Also, which Reese hitch do you have? I did a quick scan of them and don't see anything that would offer appreciable sway control but I'm sure I missed something. Didn't see any 4 point sway control either.

As far as "professional" installation of the hitch, IMO that would be one you do personally. My first go round with an Equalizer 4 point I had the dealer "professionally" install it for me. Trailer banged, clanged and wobbled the 60 miles home. Disconnected to check things out and lo and behold the ball (which required 300+lbs. torque) was about to fall off the hitch. It had 2 threads before it came off and about 1/2" of threads that needed tightening. Needless to say I was beyond POd. Had to buy a special torque wrench to get that stout (my existing stopped at about 250 I believe) and a special socket so I could do it myself. When I started the reinstall myself, going by the book, it seemed apparent that whoever installed it just pulled it out of the box, haphazardly threw the pieces together and sent me down the road - never again.

https://www.reeseprod.com/products/w...UAa4NEHrUCh8YI

This is similar to mine but I have the 1200/12,000# version and 15k# ball.

The tires on this truck were all different and had different tread depths. Had alignment check and front end checked and all good, Previous owner probably put old tires on the truck when he traded it.
I set it up the exact way the instructions said and had problems. I'll let someone else who's done it a time or two to do it. They sell Equalizer WD systems and have set them up for my dads trailer and uncles trailer and have been just fine. I know this is a Reese but its similar in function so it shouldn't be too different.
Old 06-09-2020, 12:37 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
https://www.reeseprod.com/products/w...UAa4NEHrUCh8YI

This is similar to mine but I have the 1200/12,000# version and 15k# ball.

The tires on this truck were all different and had different tread depths. Had alignment check and front end checked and all good, Previous owner probably put old tires on the truck when he traded it.
I set it up the exact way the instructions said and had problems. I'll let someone else who's done it a time or two to do it. They sell Equalizer WD systems and have set them up for my dads trailer and uncles trailer and have been just fine. I know this is a Reese but its similar in function so it shouldn't be too different.
The FIRST thing I'd do is buy 4 "good quality new tires" and have them properly mounted/balanced, then adjust the hitch per the instructions from Reese. Take the rig out for a "test tow" to see how it performs. If it's good and you're sure you're under the weight limits, then enjoy your next trip. If you're not sure of the weights and/or is there's any issue with controllability or with sway, then tow the trailer to a CAT scale and weigh the rig. It'll take three weigh transactions to get all the data required.

First, drive onto the scale pads, truck front axle on pad #1, rear axle on pad #2 and both trailer axles on pad #3. Weigh the rig. Then, without moving the rig, loosen (do not remove) the WD bars and get the second weight. Then pull off the scale pads, unhitch the trailer and return to the scale pads, front axle on pad #1 and rear axle on pad #2. Get the third weight.

With those three weights you'll be able to determine any weight status of any of the rig's weight profile.

To "start at the beginning" after you get quality tires that are the same on all 4 wheels, adjust the hitch "per the Reese instructions". The objective is NOT to level the truck, but rather to transfer the correct amount of weight "forward to the truck front axle" and "rearward to the trailer axles". That process will, in some fashion, return the truck to "near level" but the purpose is to "add weight to the front axle, not level the truck".

When that is complete, walk away from the vehicle, to a place where you can turn back to view it "from a distance" and confirm that the entire rig is "relatively level"... The purpose of that check is to make sure the trailer is not "nose high or excessively nose low" in relation to the tow vehicle.

With that done, test tow again and see if you've corrected your sway problems...

Any significant weight shift in the trailer will affect the weight distribution. Loading significantly more cargo or removing a large amount of cargo will change the tongue weight and thereby change the WD settings.

It's usually not necessary to adjust or "fine tune" the WD tension settings from trip to trip, but if there's a significant change in weights, it may improve any issues that arise. If there's no issues, there's no need to readjust.

Once you get the trailer hitch set up properly, let us know if you're having problems... BUT THE FIRST STEP (in my opinion) IS GETTING QUALITY TIRES THAT MATCH ON ALL 4 TRUCK WHEEL POSITIONS.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:02 PM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

My first trip would have been back to the dealer to address the tire issue. No way they should have sold a truck with differing tread/wear. Four wheel drive and all wheel drive should have 4 matched tires, same tread pattern, same size, same relative tread depth.

Having varying tires will wear out drive line components prematurely as one side of an axle will have more drag or turn at a different rpm on one side constantly.
Old 06-09-2020, 01:13 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

To piggyback on what John said above, replace those tires with GOOD tires right away. There is not telling what was stuck on there to get rid of it. In addition, there is no way one should be pulling a 7780lb. trailer with tires of unknown condition (already sound bad).

Note I mentioned GOOD tires above? New tires are not necessarily GOOD tires which is important and far more so when a big trailer is hooked to the truck. Good tires/new tires you might ask? I'll share a little story...

Bought a new truck at the end of the year. On the test drive I told the salesman it had a slight pull to the left. He said it was the pavement....I just looked at him and told him I know the difference. Told them to check it and they said the front end was OK. Talked to the tech and he seemed knowledgeable and gave me the specs which indicated no problem. Bought it anyway knowing it could be resolved. The OEM tires by the way are the same Firestone TransForce AT tires that came on my last truck. Drove it a while then took it to DT in Tallahassee and asked them to rotate the tires. Well, no more pulling. They will be ordering me 5 new Michelin Defender LTX tires this week. So, new doesn't necessarily mean GOOD tires. Just FYI.

Edit: Forgot to add that I looked at that Reese hitch you have, watched the video and read quite a few reviews. I'm not sure I can tell how effective it is. Reese touts it's anti sway ability but doesn't really talk about how it is achieved other than the pads at the end of the bar. If that is all there is you need more IMO. Looking at it it seems it may also get some friction from the bars in the head but the Reese people talk about how they don't depend on that and it results in "steel on steel" like the competitors use so I'm thinking all you have are the pad contacts??
Old 06-10-2020, 11:05 AM   #14
Hensmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
To piggyback on what John said above, replace those tires with GOOD tires right away. There is not telling what was stuck on there to get rid of it. In addition, there is no way one should be pulling a 7780lb. trailer with tires of unknown condition (already sound bad).

Note I mentioned GOOD tires above? New tires are not necessarily GOOD tires which is important and far more so when a big trailer is hooked to the truck. Good tires/new tires you might ask? I'll share a little story...

Bought a new truck at the end of the year. On the test drive I told the salesman it had a slight pull to the left. He said it was the pavement....I just looked at him and told him I know the difference. Told them to check it and they said the front end was OK. Talked to the tech and he seemed knowledgeable and gave me the specs which indicated no problem. Bought it anyway knowing it could be resolved. The OEM tires by the way are the same Firestone TransForce AT tires that came on my last truck. Drove it a while then took it to DT in Tallahassee and asked them to rotate the tires. Well, no more pulling. They will be ordering me 5 new Michelin Defender LTX tires this week. So, new doesn't necessarily mean GOOD tires. Just FYI.

Edit: Forgot to add that I looked at that Reese hitch you have, watched the video and read quite a few reviews. I'm not sure I can tell how effective it is. Reese touts it's anti sway ability but doesn't really talk about how it is achieved other than the pads at the end of the bar. If that is all there is you need more IMO. Looking at it it seems it may also get some friction from the bars in the head but the Reese people talk about how they don't depend on that and it results in "steel on steel" like the competitors use so I'm thinking all you have are the pad contacts??

I don't put anything but Michelin tires on anything I buy. Got the same Defender LTX tires. It rubs at the hitch and has "brake pads" on the mounts on the trailer.
Old 06-10-2020, 11:07 AM   #15
Hensmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
BUT THE FIRST STEP (in my opinion) IS GETTING QUALITY TIRES THAT MATCH ON ALL 4 TRUCK WHEEL POSITIONS.....

Way ahead of you. Michelin Defender LTX.
Old 06-10-2020, 11:08 AM   #16
Hensmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
My first trip would have been back to the dealer to address the tire issue. No way they should have sold a truck with differing tread/wear. Four wheel drive and all wheel drive should have 4 matched tires, same tread pattern, same size, same relative tread depth.

Having varying tires will wear out drive line components prematurely as one side of an axle will have more drag or turn at a different rpm on one side constantly.

I can't tell you how many times I called the dealer about it. Every time they wouldn't answer or return calls. But like stated to the others, already have new tires on the ship. Thanks
Old 06-10-2020, 12:47 PM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

If the truck suspension has checked OK, and the trailer suspension checks out OK the only thing remaining is the hitch.
Old 06-10-2020, 01:56 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I don't put anything but Michelin tires on anything I buy. Got the same Defender LTX tires. It rubs at the hitch and has "brake pads" on the mounts on the trailer.

Ahhh, so it IS using the hitch head as a friction point. In the videos and reviews it appeared it might but that would depend on the angle of the head and bars. Without knowing the install instructions I didn't know if it was going to adjust the bars into the head or not. Sounds similar then to other 4 point sway controllers.

Tags
hideout