Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2019, 02:53 PM   #1
wroseblock

Question Tow Hitch for 2017 Montana High Country 353RL

I am trying to find info on whether I can have a hitch installed on my Montana High Country 353RL 5th wheel to tow a small swivel trailer with a Goldwing on the trailer. I have a factory installed rack on the back but no hitch.
wroseblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 04:31 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

There's several things you need to take into consideration before making the "plunge" to triple towing.
First, is your GCWR going to be a problem?
Second, Is your total length going to fall within the allowed maximum length in the states where you'll be towing the rig?
Third, will the added tongue weight create an issue with the trailer GVW or load positioning?

We tow a 31' Cougar with a F250 CC S/B. I also triple tow with either a 17' bass boat or a 14' flatbed with our SlingShot. The maximum rig length in Michigan is 75'. The actual length with the boat hitched to the Cougar is 74' from the truck front bumper to the prop on the outboard.

Many states have a 65' maximum combined length, and all the states adjoining Michigan follow that max, so I can't "legally" tow outside of Michigan in any direction. Although I've never had a problem with being stopped/cited, there's always a chance.

So, the short answer is, "Yes, you can have a hitch welded to your trailer and tow another trailer behind your fifth wheel." It's physically possible....

That said, if you can meet the other restraints, then no problem, but take them into consideration before spending a lot of money and then finding out that it's not legal where you want to tow......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 05:29 AM   #3
wroseblock

Thanks for the info, I do need to hit the CAT scales since I have not done that.
Old 12-22-2019, 05:51 AM   #4
notanlines

Woodrow, first things first, West Virginia is not a legal state to triple tow, nor are any states north nor south of you. You will need to make a mad dash to Kentucky and then head west if you are to be legal. It will help to start with your weight distribution and go from there, but be sure to 'weigh' your travel options. And yes, like John, I do speak from experience.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 06:47 AM   #5
wroseblock

Thanks, I have been on the road full time since November 2017 and currently in Florida for the winter. Florida is also a no-go state but, I will use the trailer mostly between Nevada an Colorado. I do plan to hit the scales but, since I don't carry water or have a generator that it was set up to use I hope to be ok. I tow with a Silverado 3500 Duramax so that should not be an issue either.
Old 12-22-2019, 07:34 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wroseblock View Post
Thanks, I have been on the road full time since November 2017 and currently in Florida for the winter. Florida is also a no-go state but, I will use the trailer mostly between Nevada an Colorado. I do plan to hit the scales but, since I don't carry water or have a generator that it was set up to use I hope to be ok. I tow with a Silverado 3500 Duramax so that should not be an issue either.
Your "issue" is probably going to be combined length. As I said in my previous post, with a 17' boat/trailer, my total length is 74'. When you break that down, the truck is a CC S/B, fifth wheel is 31' long and boat on trailer is 23'.

When looking at your rig, it's a CC L/B, fifth wheel is 37.5'. That means, before you hitch the third unit, you're already around 7-8' longer than I am. Where that puts your total length with another trailer behind your rig is something you "need to know" before a welder starts adding length capacity. If you're going to be "close to the max" in length, or "slightly over the max" is something you'll want to know and then make the "informed decision" whether to proceed... You don't want to experiment on this, but know what your end result will be "before" falling into the pit.....

A trip to get some accurate weights and a tape measure to know "exactly where you are" going into this sure beats spending the money and "then finding out it won't work".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 03:33 PM   #7
wroseblock

The swivel trailer I am looking at is only 4' long and with the Gold Wing the hitch weight should be less than 500lbs. I measured the portion of my 5th wheel that is actually over my truck and it about 6' so I hope I won't go over the limits. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-22-2019, 04:15 PM   #8
MarkEHansen

Doesn't the GCWR consider the sum of the GVWR of each component of the rig? In that case, empty holding tanks won't help.
Old 12-22-2019, 06:06 PM   #9
bsmith0404

It’s debatable if a state will consider a swivel wheel a trailer. Some have argued that it is not since it’s more like a tailgate than a trailer. Does not use a trailer coupler and does not pivot separate from the RV. If you go with the dual wheel version, it uses a double receiver type connection that has to be welded to the regular receiver hitch. One other issue for you to be aware of, unless your Montana is a 2020, technically, you could void your frame warranty by adding a hitch to the back. I’ve never let that stop me, same as probably thousands of others. I’m adding one to my Alpine as well. I can put the Harley or the RZR on it and shorten up a lot from my current setup.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, montana, tow