Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2019, 05:52 PM   #41
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cag View Post
how much propane does the Onan 5500 use? I only have 2 30 lb bottles.
From the Onan site:
LP Consumption Full Load 1.1gal/hr
LP Consumption Half Load .8 gal/hr

So a full 30 pound (7 gallon) tank would last about 6.5 hours at full load and about 9 hours at half load (which is around 2700 watts).

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:56 PM   #42
ADQ K9

Is it possible to fit 40# tanks to get more run time?
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:19 AM   #43
JRTJH
Site Team

Even if you could "re-engineer the storage spaces in a fifth wheel to install 40 pound propane tanks (40 pounds is 10 gallons) you'd "enhance the run time" like this:

10 gallons at 1.1 GPH = a run time of 9 hours
10 gallons at 0.8 GPH = a run time of 12.5 hours

So, 40 pound tanks would extend the run time by 2.5 hours at 100% and 3.5 hours at 50%. Assuming that you don't use any propane for heat, cooking, water heater or grill, you still couldn't get much over a 24 hour period before you're out of propane, even with 40 pound tanks.

That said, most wouldn't run the generator 24/7, so the above figures are "hypothetical/worst case" rather than "real world"...

Using a propane powered generator in an RV has always had a "logistics issue" in most situations. The limiting factor is propane availability. Typically, there's a "gas station" relatively close to most campgrounds and to most "dry camping areas" which makes availability to get gas in a 5 gallon can relatively available. Propane filling stations, on the other hand, are more difficult to find. Couple that with the expense of propane vs gas and the propane generator is a "second choice" for most applications.

Propane does have its supporters and it is better than nothing, in most situations, but it is simply harder to manage sustained run times with propane in most RV applications.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:58 AM   #44
NotyetMHCowner

We love having our Onan LP 5500. We ordered our unit new and only paid $3500 for the generator upgrade. It was a no-brainer for us since we would have spent $2000 for a pair of Hondas and then had to deal with a third fuel. The propane generators dont have to be exercised like the gasoline and they wont gum up or fuel go stale. But they do use more fuel than the gas models. We have had our unit for over 4 years and have less than 40 hours on our gen set. If you need to run it a lot, then gas may be the better choice. We just use it to cool the camper down for a couple of hours on the road, or use it when having a power outage at a campground.

If I had it to do again I would probably still buy the onan but only because of the little price I got it for. Otherwise I would have rather spent the money on a larger battery bank and solar.
1998 Coleman Grandview pop-up with slide

Trucks:
2006 Ford F350 CC, SB, DRW, 4x4
1992 Ford F150 SC, SB, 4x4
NotyetMHCowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:10 AM   #45
travelin texans

Agree LP gennys are thirstier, but IMO you'd have a much easier time upgrading to 4O# LP tanks, if necessary, than storing/hauling 5/10/15 gallons of gas or worse yet trying to install a gas tank on a RV not designed to have one.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 09:33 AM   #46
cag

Propane 30lb = 7 gal. If you don't have a toy hauler then fuel seems to be the issue with generators. Class A will have big propane tanks so not so much a worry, but the 5th wheel have much smaller tanks.

Adding an extend a stay would let you use additional tanks that you could store in the back of the truck. Interested in what others have done, I don't think the OP had a toy hauler.
cag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:24 AM   #47
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotyetMHCowner View Post
We love having our Onan LP 5500. We ordered our unit new and only paid $3500 for the generator upgrade. It was a no-brainer for us since we would have spent $2000 for a pair of Hondas and then had to deal with a third fuel. The propane generators dont have to be exercised like the gasoline and they wont gum up or fuel go stale. But they do use more fuel than the gas models. We have had our unit for over 4 years and have less than 40 hours on our gen set. If you need to run it a lot, then gas may be the better choice. We just use it to cool the camper down for a couple of hours on the road, or use it when having a power outage at a campground.

If I had it to do again I would probably still buy the onan but only because of the little price I got it for. Otherwise I would have rather spent the money on a larger battery bank and solar.
Is the bolded above in the Onan instructions? All the standby generators I've ever seen, LP or NG require periodic exercising to keep the internals oil coated and lubed, among other reasons.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 02:05 PM   #48
notanlines

We have the Onan 7000 watt propane, 62 hours in two years, and two things to keep in mind. It will suck up gas like crazy and it will freeze up your propane tanks and shut off. We bought a $100 tank blanket, 120 volt, and it does the trick.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 12:55 AM   #49
mikz86ta

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
I found a onan site PPL motor home generate running sales on 5550 The DB is 56. I have a 5500 in my toy hauler that is very quiet when the air conditioners are running I can't hear the generator in side my camper.
X2.
Our toyhauler gas Onan is not bad...inside the RV. And the gen-house is insulated or sound deadend. Plus the box is also AirIntake prepped so u can keep the door closed. Never gets too hot even in summers down south.
Yours is likely propane prepped unit. I don't think there's much sound difference.

So inside noise is of little concern.
Outside noise isn't bad but definitely know when it's on.
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator