Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2022, 06:40 AM   #1
TimeTravel

Carlisle ST Tires

Good morning.
Sitting here this morning watching the snow plow go up and down the road and figured it would be a good time to turn my attention to things I need to do for the upcoming season. The biggest one being new tires. I have searched through the form and read just about all prior threads on tires and came to the conclusion Carlisle would be my tire of choice. First choice was Goodyear Endurance (ran these on my Outback with not one issue); however, trying to locate them right now is difficult.
My local Goodyear dealer (been using him for years) also sells Carlisle. It appears I have two options going with Carlisle: ST225/75R/10ply or ST225/75R/12ply. Specifications.

ST225/75/15/10ply
Load/speed: M
Weight: 29
Max Load single: 2830
Load Range: E
Max Pressure: 80

ST/225/75/15/12ply
Load/Speed: M
Weight: 44
Max Load single: 3080
Load Range: F
Max Pressure: 95

Any thoughts or experience regarding the 10 vs 12-ply tire? Plus side increased single tire max load/tire and a more robust profile. Only down side I see is increased weight of approx 12lbs/tire.
TimeTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 07:24 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Biggest issue is the difference in the PSI. Check your rims and contact the manufacturer if necessary to confirm the wheels are rated for the pressure.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 07:49 AM   #3
wiredgeorge

My camper originally came with LRD tires and I have gone to LRE and never once had the urge to remove a wheel or crawl under the camper to see if there was a PSI rating. The rims haven't blown up yet and I keep the tires inflated cold at 80 PSI. Mike, you haven't mention what tires were on the camper originally or are listed on your tire placard on the trailer. If they are LRE, then the LRE Carlisles are a safe bet and I am pretty sure they will be since you have 15" rims. How many lugs on the rims and what was the original tire spec/rating?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:11 AM   #4
TimeTravel

Marshall, I have not crawled under the camper to confirm PSI rating (too much snow on the ground). Prior to ordering either the "E" or "F" rated tire I will confirm.

George, the original tires are Trailer King (kept them on for two seasons and was comfortable in doing so as no sign of wear or other issues, and date code was well within my comfort zone). However, it is now time! The original tires are ST225/75R/15 Load Range E. The rims are a 6 lug pattern. I like the thought of a step up on the load rating for an increase of +250lbs/tire. The added weight (12lbs/tire) per tire does not concern me.
TimeTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 09:15 AM   #5
gearhead

If you decide on Carlisle, look on Walmart.com for their price. Print that out and take to your dealer.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 09:25 AM   #6
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeTravel View Post
Marshall, I have not crawled under the camper to confirm PSI rating (too much snow on the ground). Prior to ordering either the "E" or "F" rated tire I will confirm.

George, the original tires are Trailer King (kept them on for two seasons and was comfortable in doing so as no sign of wear or other issues, and date code was well within my comfort zone). However, it is now time! The original tires are ST225/75R/15 Load Range E. The rims are a 6 lug pattern. I like the thought of a step up on the load rating for an increase of +250lbs/tire. The added weight (12lbs/tire) per tire does not concern me.
Six lug rims generally have higher PSI ratings than do my 5 lug steel rims. Your camper is heavier and manufacturers are now required to put a bit more safety margin in newly built campers than back in 2002 so I would just get the Carlisle LRG and be happy with the extra safety cushion. I likely violate rules and such but its my camper and I can live with my decision to upgrade the tires. The tire experts will jump all over this thread shortly and give you some real fine sounding advice based on rules.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 11:44 AM   #7
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeTravel View Post
Good morning.
Sitting here this morning watching the snow plow go up and down the road and figured it would be a good time to turn my attention to things I need to do for the upcoming season. The biggest one being new tires. I have searched through the form and read just about all prior threads on tires and came to the conclusion Carlisle would be my tire of choice. First choice was Goodyear Endurance (ran these on my Outback with not one issue); however, trying to locate them right now is difficult.
My local Goodyear dealer (been using him for years) also sells Carlisle. It appears I have two options going with Carlisle: ST225/75R/10ply or ST225/75R/12ply. Specifications.

ST225/75/15/10ply
Load/speed: M
Weight: 29
Max Load single: 2830
Load Range: E
Max Pressure: 80

ST/225/75/15/12ply
Load/Speed: M
Weight: 44
Max Load single: 3080
Load Range: F
Max Pressure: 95

Any thoughts or experience regarding the 10 vs 12-ply tire? Plus side increased single tire max load/tire and a more robust profile. Only down side I see is increased weight of approx 12lbs/tire.
Just some food for thought: Keystone has greatly improved their OE tires to very manageable load capacity levels. For instance; if your trailer has vehicle certified 5000# GAWRs, the LRE tires will provide 860# in load capacity reserves at 80 PSI. That is more than double what the RVIA recommendation provides.

To move up to the LRF you will be going from polyester tires, to steel cased tires. Will the stiffness of those steel cased tires be worth the wear and tear on your trailer’s suspension?

Whatever choice you go with make sure to upgrade to high pressure metal valve stems.

There can be two limits for wheels/rims. One is the load. That limit is driven by the GAWR limiters. The other is inflation pressure. Depending on the wheel manufacturer there may be a PSI value not to exceed. Other manufacturers allow their wheels to be inflated to whatever is needed to support the wheel’s weight limit. Remember; if you can’t find the answer, ask the wheel manufacturer. Wheels are certified by the SAE.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 04:28 PM   #8
firestation12

checking the rim rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
My camper originally came with LRD tires and I have gone to LRE and never once had the urge to remove a wheel or crawl under the camper to see if there was a PSI rating. The rims haven't blown up yet and I keep the tires inflated cold at 80 PSI. Mike, you haven't mention what tires were on the camper originally or are listed on your tire placard on the trailer. If they are LRE, then the LRE Carlisles are a safe bet and I am pretty sure they will be since you have 15" rims. How many lugs on the rims and what was the original tire spec/rating?

If you are the big guy standing on the right side, then I can understand why you wouldn't want to crawl under the camper!
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires