Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2020, 10:37 AM   #1
Tonys67ss

2018 30RIPR Bullet Premier Interior trim blistering

Good afternoon.
I have a 2018 Bullet Premier 30RIPR. The interior trim around the slide outs are made of press board and are covered with paper to look like real wood. Just like all of the cabinets. The cabinet doors are only solid wood items inside. The paper is blistering all over the place on both the cabinet face and the trim pieces. Like their wasn't enough glue applied. Not sure what to do? I do not want to take the trailer to a dealer. Horror stories. I should have never purchased the extended warranty. Seems everything from delamination to this falls under "cosmetic" and isn't covered. Also... No signs of moisture anywhere. I keep all the windows open year round. So there's plenty of air circulating throughout.
Anyone else have this issue?
Thank you....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200913_232652.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	30287   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200913_232008~2.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	30288   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200913_231949.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	30289  
Tonys67ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 12:41 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

You can use a small hobby paint brush ( I get the 10 pack from harbor freight) and paint some wood glue on the surface. Then press the paper down. I use a heat gun set to low, to speed up drying. Be very careful how much heat you use as it can shrink the paper.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 12:42 PM   #3
Northofu1

Hello Tony,
Wow, It looks like humidity, but might not be. Maybe keep the windows and vents closed when not in use and buy a couple of the Damp rid containers follow directions. Check it in a few weeks and see if there's any change. It might take some time to dry out. But, it just might be the glue as you suggested. In that case I have no idea what to use.
Good luck

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 06:53 PM   #4
Tonys67ss

Thank you guys. I forgot to mention an important piece of information. I live in this full time. I'm not home much due to a crazy work schedule and thought leaving the windows open would help with ventilation. It's parked under a huge canopy/carport. At first I was leaving all the vents and windows closed but would come home to a really hot and stuffy trailer.
How would you apply the glue to the blistering area if there's no access to the back side of the paper? Injecting glue into the bubble. Then roll out the air bubbles?
Tonys67ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:26 AM   #5
linux3

We used Elmers Glue-All.
Brush it on then use a wall paper plastic smoother to remove bubbles. Drag the smoother up, do not push it as you may tear the paper.
Then use blue painter's tape to hold it till dry.

Anyway, this is what works for us. YMMV
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:39 PM   #6
Misenplace

Could not agree more with the tip using Damp rid for those not in a dry climate. We are in Houston. We own a 2017 293 UBH since new. We use our TT about 12-14 times per year and always place a Damp rid in the camper while not being used. Never (**crosses fingers) have we had any damage/deterioration. Our camper looks and smells like new.

One word of caution though, don't ever spill them on surfaces without immediate clean-up. It can make a mess if spilled and leaves a terrible rough surface where it was spilled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
Hello Tony,
Wow, It looks like humidity, but might not be. Maybe keep the windows and vents closed when not in use and buy a couple of the Damp rid containers follow directions. Check it in a few weeks and see if there's any change. It might take some time to dry out. But, it just might be the glue as you suggested. In that case I have no idea what to use.
Good luck
Misenplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:24 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonys67ss View Post
Thank you guys. I forgot to mention an important piece of information. I live in this full time. I'm not home much due to a crazy work schedule and thought leaving the windows open would help with ventilation. It's parked under a huge canopy/carport. At first I was leaving all the vents and windows closed but would come home to a really hot and stuffy trailer.
How would you apply the glue to the blistering area if there's no access to the back side of the paper? Injecting glue into the bubble. Then roll out the air bubbles?
Go to Tractor Supply or another livestock/feed store and buy a couple of 10CC syringes and some 20 ga 1.5" needles. Pull the plunger from a syringe and pour in Elmer's wood glue, insert the plunger and put a needle on the end of the syringe. Use a damp hand towel and an iron set on low temperature. Cover a blister with the hand towel, use the iron to warm the area, when it's warm and the vinyl is plyable, use the syringe to inject some glue into the bubble. Use your finger to massage the glue around under the bubble then massage the air out of the hole left by the needle. Place the towel back over the blistered area and use the iron to help flatten the vinyl covering.

If it lays flat, let the glue dry. If the blistered area looks like it's going to "bubble up" again, use a small piece of flat plastic or a small piece of thin plywood and a C-clamp (or spring clamp) to hold the vinyl flat for a day or two (until the glue dries and the vinyl is adhered to the area). Repeat on the other blistered areas. If there is any of the glue weeping from the needle hole, use a piece of wax paper between the vinyl and your flat surface (plastic or plywood).

I think the problem is two-fold. First issue is humidity that got into the trailer and into the wood when you were leaving the windows open and second is the heat that caused the vinyl to separate from the wood/MDF under it. Once the humidity and heat had a chance to do their damage, it took several weeks/months for it to finally become large enough for you to notice. Fix it now, but remember how you go about it. I would almost guarantee you that in a few months, when the weather changes, you'll find more areas that separate from the base layer and you'll need to repeat the process.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bullet, bullet premier