Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2021, 02:13 PM   #1
BuckSally

Hot water heater

We picked up our Montana HC 331RLS yesterday and spent night in campground to see if any issues came up and there were. One of them was we ran out of hot water while showering in less than 5 mins. They said that was pretty standard - that it does run out fairly quickly. So we had them go back thru it and they said the size of the shower head (water pressure) was using too much too fast. This doesn’t seem correct. Anyone else have issues running out of hot water so quickly?
BuckSally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 02:39 PM   #2
Cbrez

Welcome to the forum. Your water heater capacity is probably 6 gal. If your shower head flow rate is about 1.25 gal/min you’re going to run out of hot water in about 5 min. This is completely normal. We turn the water off while lathering up and only use it to rinse off. Provides enough hot water for two back to back showers, which is all we need.

The recovery time is pretty fast. It seems like if we wait 15 min or so between showers, the second person has a full tank of hot water.

I don’t buy what the dealership told you. I’d be very surprised if you don’t have the same shower head as the rest of us. I think you’re in great shape if this is the only issue you have with your new rig.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 03:22 PM   #3
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckSally View Post
We picked up our 331 yesterday and spent night in campground to see if any issues came up and there were. One of them was we ran out of hot water while showering in less than 5 mins. They said that was pretty standard - that it does run out fairly quickly. So we had them go back thru it and they said the size of the shower head (water pressure) was using too much too fast. This doesn’t seem correct. Anyone else have issues running out of hot water so quickly?
I turn it on and get right in.. it is a small tank ...you don’t have to wait for it to get hot very long.. you don’t want to turn the shower on and then brush your teeth or something before getting in as you will have waisted a good bit of the hot water.
Old 02-26-2021, 03:37 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
We picked up our 331 yesterday and spent night in campground to see if any issues came up and there were. One of them was we ran out of hot water while showering in less than 5 mins. They said that was pretty standard - that it does run out fairly quickly. So we had them go back thru it and they said the size of the shower head (water pressure) was using too much too fast. This doesn’t seem correct. Anyone else have issues running out of hot water so quickly?
What is your trailer? Year/model etc. really, really helps when trying to answer some of these questions.

I have the trailer in my sig, also a 331. It has a 12 gal. hot water tank and every MHC 331RL I looked at did as well. What is yours?

Have you ever had an RV before? I assume you are aware (if it new...you said you just picked it up) that you can run both electric and LP at the same time greatly helping your run time. A little more info would go a very long way in helping you get accurate answers.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 03:47 PM   #5
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
What is your trailer? Year/model etc. really, really helps when trying to answer some of these questions.

I have the trailer in my sig, also a 331. It has a 12 gal. hot water tank and every MHC 331RL I looked at did as well. What is yours?

Have you ever had an RV before? I assume you are aware (if it new...you said you just picked it up) that you can run both electric and LP at the same time greatly helping your run time. A little more info would go a very long way in helping you get accurate answers.
I didn’t know you could run the water heater on electric and propane at the same time ... it didn’t even occur to me as I’m used to residential systems ...learn something new every day ..guess it would help to read through my owners manuals ... but we haven’t had a problem with lack of hot water
Old 02-26-2021, 04:07 PM   #6
travelin texans

Replace the original shower head with an Oxygenic head, it feels like more water with more pressure, but actually uses less water with less pressure required.
Also use the on/off button on it, wet down, shut water off, lather up, turn on water & rinse, don't just let the water run continuously or you will run out of hot water eventually + fill the grey tank much quicker.
We also had a 12 gallon water heater that just on electric we could both take showers one after the other & not run out of hot water, but did shut off the shower head as I mentioned above.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 05:11 PM   #7
NH_Bulldog

We run ours on gas and electric at the same time (6 gallon Dometic). We also went with the Oxygenic shower head and use the “pause” button. As long as you know the limitations, the system works well. Unlike a home shower, you have limited capacity for the drain water so it is worthwhile to get the hang of it sooner rather than later.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 07:42 PM   #8
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Replace the original shower head with an Oxygenic head, it feels like more water with more pressure, but actually uses less water with less pressure required.
Also use the on/off button on it, wet down, shut water off, lather up, turn on water & rinse, don't just let the water run continuously or you will run out of hot water eventually + fill the grey tank much quicker.
We also had a 12 gallon water heater that just on electric we could both take showers one after the other & not run out of hot water, but did shut off the shower head as I mentioned above.
We also run gas and electric, cook with gas, a 7 gallon tank of propane will last about one month. We just went through a nine day power outage, we used about 2 gallons of propane a day, outside temp between 35 and 40 degrees. Usage was for heat 60 to 65 at night, 68 day time, hot water, cooking, heating water for drinks, refrigerator. I love the fast recovery with gas!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 08:13 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

It’s NOT a “hot” water heater, hot water doesn’t need to be heated.

It’s a WATER HEATER. Really doesn’t matter to me but a tech that I used to work with would actually get mad if you called it a hot water heater.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:17 PM   #10
gkainz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
It’s NOT a “hot” water heater, hot water doesn’t need to be heated.

It’s a WATER HEATER. Really doesn’t matter to me but a tech that I used to work with would actually get mad if you called it a hot water heater.

LOL thank you. I bite my tongue on that so many times
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:05 AM   #11
dutchmensport

If this is your first camper, and if you have a 6 gallon water heater, then yes, you will run out of hot water very fast. This is one reason why RV water heaters are set so high. So it takes less "hot" to mix with cold to get a comfortable temperature. The hotter the water, the more cold it takes to mix, thus, you are using less hot water, which will run longer.

Changing the shower head is a help and I recommend you do so. But here are some other tips for shower usage in an RV (of any type or size).

First, Navy showers, always. As stated above. Get wet, water off. Soap up. Water on, rinse as fast as you can and turn the water off.

Next person in the shower? Wait about 30 minutes or more before the next shower, and they repeat the process.

Another tip, yes, turn the gas and the electric on at the same time. Recovery will be faster, but it won't create enough hot to make any difference if you are actually running the water. It does make recovery time faster if water is not running.

Another tip. Make sure you turn your shower off at the faucet handles and not just the head of the shower. If you have an outside shower or set up, make sure you always shut the faucets off with the turn handles. If you don't, hot and cold will mix at that spot, and when doing dishes, or using the sink, the water will never get "hot", but barely lukewarm. You'll think something is wrong and be calling your dealer service center for help, or asking for help on these forums. Always turn the knobs off when done, at ever faucet in your camper.

Practice taking "Navy" showers in your home, and just make it a part of normal routine so when you use your camper, it now become first nature.

If the wife continue to insist on taking long showers, she'll eventually figure all this out when the water keeps getting cold so fast. She'll just have to figure this out herself. But, she will, eventually.

Remember, every drop of water you use, goes into your holding tank. It's easy to fill a holding tank taking long showers. The more water you use, the more you will have to dump your tank. If you are at a campsite that does not have a sewer hook-up, you'll be buying a blue tote real fast, or breaking camp to haul the camper to the dump station. Just remember, every drop that comes out of the faucet, goes into the hold tank. This itself is a discouragement for taking long showers.
Old 02-28-2021, 06:09 PM   #12
BuckSally

It’s not our first camper and I learned when we picked this one up (Montana HC 331RL) about using elec and propane. We did some troubleshooting and found that the electric wasn’t working. It ended up being a bad heating element. I do see the recommendations of switching out shower head, which we will do. In my previous camper it would last much longer. I do use the pause button as well.
BuckSally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:20 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
It’s not our first camper and I learned when we picked this one up (Montana HC 331RL) about using elec and propane. We did some troubleshooting and found that the electric wasn’t working. It ended up being a bad heating element. I do see the recommendations of switching out shower head, which we will do. In my previous camper it would last much longer. I do use the pause button as well.

Posting your RV specifics in your signature line is greatly beneficial for those trying to help. I assume this is a used trailer? If the element was bad right off the bat and then you found it something was missed somewhere? You indicate you have experience with RVs and hot water lasted much longer "back when"??

Informing members with what you have, experience etc. greatly enhances the possibility of success in questions. Basic trouble shooting right off the bat can many times fix things much faster.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:32 AM   #14
KarenK

Quote:
We picked up our Montana HC 331RLS yesterday and spent night in campground to see if any issues came up and there were. One of them was we ran out of hot water while showering in less than 5 mins. They said that was pretty standard - that it does run out fairly quickly. So we had them go back thru it and they said the size of the shower head (water pressure) was using too much too fast. This doesn’t seem correct. Anyone else have issues running out of hot water so quickly?
Sounds normal. I switched out my shower head and will also not turn the handles open fully, can push it to almost 10 minutes with a pause to shampoo and body wash.
KarenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:43 AM   #15
Cracker

Surprisingly enough, "HWH" was often used on architectural plans to designate the location of the water heater - possibly to differentiate from "WH" - but, if so, I can't remember what "WH" would have meant???
Old 03-04-2021, 09:03 AM   #16
rlh1957

Ditto to what was said.
. Oxygenics shower head or wand, turn on both elec & gas to help recovery time if at power hookup site.
Try reducing your flow at the faucet when showering till final rinse. Pause button is nice to conserve water and give HW a change to heat.
With experience you’ll find your happy medium. Many of us shower on for getting wet, turn off, pause or trickle for soap and wash, back on for rinse. Navy Shower!

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:05 AM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

HWH is also the manufacturer of RV leveling systems.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:33 AM   #18
firestation12

Another factor in that influences useable shower time is the inlet temperature of water entering the cold side shower valve. Wintertime will require more hot water to be mixed with the cold, to achieve a pleasurable outcome at the shower head. Summer time in Arizona allows for longer showers (if connected to septic system) before running out. Getting into the habit of turning off the flow between soaping and rinsing, is always a good idea as has been suggested by others in this thread.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:43 AM   #19
DeniseJ

Quote:
Hi Sally, our hot water only holds 6 gallons of hot water at a time. Normally our showers are fairly quick for 2 reasons. We don't want to run out of hot water and also we don't want to use all our water supply and fill the tanks. We shut the water on and off while showering so we don't waste the water. We take for granted to endless water supply at home, but not when we're camping. I hope this helps a bit.
DeniseJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:46 AM   #20
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestation12 View Post
Another factor in that influences useable shower time is the inlet temperature of water entering the cold side shower valve. Wintertime will require more hot water to be mixed with the cold, to achieve a pleasurable outcome at the shower head. Summer time in Arizona allows for longer showers (if connected to septic system) before running out. Getting into the habit of turning off the flow between soaping and rinsing, is always a good idea as has been suggested by others in this thread.
You mentioned summer in Arizona. We live in a rv resort that their water is treated by reverse osmosis & the treated water is stored in an above ground stainless tanks. In the summer I turn our water heater off & use that 30 gallons as the cold water supply to cool down the cold side which is usually hotter the the heated water from the heater.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, hot water heater, water, water heater