RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-14-2021, 07:35 PM   #21
sourdough
Site Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: W. Texas
Posts: 11,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
To be clear I was talking about their best initial OTD price, not MSRP. MSRP means nothing.

You would probably want to double check your estimates or buy somewhere else. I didn't come close to that trading in a 6 year old RV bought new. My trade in allowance, 6 years later, was approx. 50% of my OTD price. If it lost 40% by year 2 it sure slowed down for the rest of the time.
__________________

__________________
Danny & Susan wife of 53 years
2019 Ram 3500 Laramie CC SB 6.4 4x4 4.10
2020 Montana High Country 331RL
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:21 PM   #22
Mikelff
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Keller
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You would probably want to double check your estimates or buy somewhere else. I didn't come close to that trading in a 6 year old RV bought new. My trade in allowance, 6 years later, was approx. 50% of my OTD price. If it lost 40% by year 2 it sure slowed down for the rest of the time.
Yes and no. The depreciation slows considerably after about the fourth year. Actually the second year is about 15%-17% from what I have read. My neighbor and fishing buddy owns a good size RV dealer, and he basically confirmed this information. He gave me a hard time because I didnít buy from him but he didnít have what I was looking for. That's another story. The market for trade ins at the time you trade also has a bearing on your price. Dealers can play with numbers on trade in units for purchase of a new unit and do that all the time. A whole lot more wiggle room on the profit side for new units to make up for a higher price on a used trade in unit. Also, more price stability comes with the condition of the RV at time of trade in. Your trade in price of 50% of what you paid new on a 6 year old trailer was made up in profit on your new unit you traded for. If you were not trading for a new unit you would not have gotten that price, believe me. Iím betting your trade in was in great condition? If so, the dealer didnít have to put much in your trade in to sell it. On a 6 year old trailer in good condition they probably sold it for near what they had in it. A 6 year old trailer they will want to move off the lot as fast as they can. The profit margins in new RVís for the dealers is sinful. Thats why they can come off their ďMSRPĒ $20k or more, come off more to make a ď dealĒ for you, and still make a ton of money. Check the NADA dealer version and you will be close to the real value of the used RV. Kelly Blue book is worthless. Dealers donít use it. Because of covid, new and used units are in demand so they are not coming off prices like they did pre covid. Inventory got real tight and they held their prices, but its coming back a bit. Iím going to be curious about what the market will be like in 3,4, or 5 years when the people that bought all these RVís because of covid decide to dump them when things get back to ďnormalĒ. Might be a glut and prices will take a tumble. I guess time will tell.
__________________

Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:36 AM   #23
Ken / Claudia
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Fruitland
Posts: 2,984
Before the C-19 flu when Portland Or dealers were good at selling 40 units a month. They are now selling 200 a month, that is coming from a salesman. I am not sure many will take your lower price offer.
In my 40 plus years of RVing this was how you got the best price on a new RV.
Wait for the RV shows. Many large metro areas have 1 in the fall and 1 in the spring.
Both events create dealer/maker and loan incentives. If you have being shopping and looking at prices before and during those events. You will find prices around 1/3 off most MSRP. Yea, MSRPs mean nothing for several reasons, but that's a number they sure like you to see.
__________________
2013 24RKSWE (27ft TT) Cougar 1/2 ton series
2013 Ford F350 4x4 CC 6.7 engine, 8 ft bed 3.55 rear end lariat package
Retired from Oregon State Police in 2011 than worked another 9.5 years as a small town traffic cop:
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:17 AM   #24
JGEORGE
Member
 
JGEORGE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Turlock
Posts: 58
If your still looking, Someone previously posted about Best RV in Turlock. I've bought two trailers there. Price was always lowest I found but their service is poor at best. So if you want lowest price I would go there, if want after sale service Referral auto group in Escalon seems to be the place to go. I had one warranty claim on our first trailer and I just went to Los Banos rv dealer who took good care of us even thought we didn't buy there. So far our Bullet has been problem free a year and a half in. Good luck
__________________
Jonathan
2020 Bullet 210RUDWE
2003 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 4X4
JGEORGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:41 AM   #25
travelin texans
Senior Member
 
travelin texans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Picacho Peak Rv Resort
Posts: 4,290
Just keep in mind that wherever you buy is where you'll need to return for warranty work. Unlike autos rv dealers are not obligated to do warranty repairs on units they didn't sell. That could seriously impact the price or savings if you have to travel a 1000 round trip for warranty work.
You may also want to check reviews on the service department of wherever you buy, they're the ones you'll be dealing with after the sale, the salesman won't remember your name 5 minutes after the sale.
__________________
Danny & Linda
Former '13 Redwood FB owner
Currently rvless!
travelin texans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:49 AM   #26
sourdough
Site Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: W. Texas
Posts: 11,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
Yes and no. The depreciation slows considerably after about the fourth year. Actually the second year is about 15%-17% from what I have read. My neighbor and fishing buddy owns a good size RV dealer, and he basically confirmed this information. He gave me a hard time because I didnít buy from him but he didnít have what I was looking for. That's another story. The market for trade ins at the time you trade also has a bearing on your price. Dealers can play with numbers on trade in units for purchase of a new unit and do that all the time. A whole lot more wiggle room on the profit side for new units to make up for a higher price on a used trade in unit. Also, more price stability comes with the condition of the RV at time of trade in. Your trade in price of 50% of what you paid new on a 6 year old trailer was made up in profit on your new unit you traded for. If you were not trading for a new unit you would not have gotten that price, believe me. Iím betting your trade in was in great condition? If so, the dealer didnít have to put much in your trade in to sell it. On a 6 year old trailer in good condition they probably sold it for near what they had in it. A 6 year old trailer they will want to move off the lot as fast as they can. The profit margins in new RVís for the dealers is sinful. Thats why they can come off their ďMSRPĒ $20k or more, come off more to make a ď dealĒ for you, and still make a ton of money. Check the NADA dealer version and you will be close to the real value of the used RV. Kelly Blue book is worthless. Dealers donít use it. Because of covid, new and used units are in demand so they are not coming off prices like they did pre covid. Inventory got real tight and they held their prices, but its coming back a bit. Iím going to be curious about what the market will be like in 3,4, or 5 years when the people that bought all these RVís because of covid decide to dump them when things get back to ďnormalĒ. Might be a glut and prices will take a tumble. I guess time will tell.

I understand, and know, what you are saying. I've bought countless new cars, trucks, RVs, homes, motorcycles etc. I've sat with good friends that were finance managers at an RV dealerships/auto dealerships and discussed the ins and outs of trading, buying etc. My son was a car salesman, then GM, then dealership owner etc. I know how to play both ends against the middle so I'm confident of my numbers any time I get ready to buy or trade.

I will say for folks doing this that NADA is a place to start but only a place to start. I've had better luck getting written offers from competing dealerships after a final negotiation then using that as a tool to get better pricing elsewhere. I've also found that I can get better deals in the East then use those to negotiate back in TX.....and they truly hate that because their delivered price is higher than it is here in the E.

Last trailer I bought (this one) was bounced back and forth pricing/trade wise between FL and TX. My negotiations were with the GM, not a salesman or finance guy. He said he couldn't match the E coast pricing so told him Marcus (CW) had advised that they (TX) would honor any warranty work as if I'd bought the trailer from him and was going to buy the FL unit. Came back with his last offer - he said he would NOT (verbally) meet the FL price (trade) out of principle but would offer me $25 less; he met the price for the new unit. In addition he would throw in mounting and dismounting the new tires (Sailuns), cutting down the bed frame to queen and installation of a new mattress I had purchased. Said he was beyond rock bottom and I believe him; I don't go into these things blindly or believe what I'm told without having ammo in my mag as well. Sales guy I started dealing with initially told me the GM told him he wouldn't be making anything off the sale which the GM confirmed so I took the sales guy aside, gave him some compensation on the side then took him out for a steak dinner so all was not lost. At the end of the day you gotta do your homework and know your business when doing these things or you will always come out on the bottom (and probably will to some degree anyway) - they have lots of little nooks and crannies to hide little pockets of "fluff" money for themselves.
__________________
Danny & Susan wife of 53 years
2019 Ram 3500 Laramie CC SB 6.4 4x4 4.10
2020 Montana High Country 331RL
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 05:38 AM   #27
Toat
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Yo mammy house
Posts: 1
I'm also in the process of buying a 1700bh. From my experience ignore the MSRPs that you know are fake. The dealer's MSRP should basically be the price listed on the Keystone website plus the cost to get it from Indiana. That should also be what the NADA price is, and I think the NADA price seemed accurate for my zip code.

I was only able to negotiate to 77% of the NADA which all said and done comes to $21,500 delivered to my door, but I'm a little closer to Indiana than you. I hope that helps. It seems this is still a sellers market and dealers are content to sit and wait for a sucker. I had one dealer flat out refuse to negotiate after I got their best price and came back with a lower price quote from another dealer.
Toat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:42 AM   #28
machz
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Concord
Posts: 1
I just ordered a cougar 22MLS and as others have said ignore MSRP. I decided to send out email to anyone within a days drive from me. I hit the big ones like General, Haylett and several others. I told them that I was looking around and asked for a best price out the door. The all came in high so I started sending email from the lowest to the highest asking if they could beat the price.


So in the end the best was $29898 with Theater seats and slide toppers out the door. The RV MSRP is 35,805 but that doesn't include thinks like destination, prep, extras and dealer fees. This is where the pricing can vary a ton. as an example below is one dealers additional charges.


Delivery $999
Document $499
Dealer prep$495
Plate $6

$1999 just in extra fees.



In the end there were several thousand dollars between dealers so make sure you spend the time looking for a good deal.
machz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:29 PM   #29
notanlines
Senior Member
 
notanlines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Germantown, TN
Posts: 4,592
I know this is a little old, but "On a 6 year old trailer in good condition they probably sold it for near what they had in it" Car dealers, RV dealers, motorcycle dealers, etc, NEVER sell for what they have in it. Who's going to pay the salesman? The overhead? You might be so naÔve as to believe what the salesman told you, but I believe our resident Arizona Danny would ask "Is the salesman's lips moving?"
__________________
Jim in Memphis
Wife of 49 years is Brenda
2019 F450 6.7 Powerstroke
2017 Mobile Suites 40RSSA
2015 26TBUD Salem Forest River (For Alaska Trip)
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:00 PM   #30
hornet28
Senior Member
 
hornet28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Muskegon
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I know this is a little old, but "On a 6 year old trailer in good condition they probably sold it for near what they had in it" Car dealers, RV dealers, motorcycle dealers, etc, NEVER sell for what they have in it. Who's going to pay the salesman? The overhead? You might be so naÔve as to believe what the salesman told you, but I believe our resident Arizona Danny would ask "Is the salesman's lips moving?"
True. But by the time they get done adding in all the BS charges they do make money. In this area when I looked at used unit at dealers they wanted an $1000 to "clean" the unit. I told him they should be doing that to sell it just as car dealers do. They all have a way of getting more money from buyers. That's why I avoid dealers as much as possible. I've never bought an RV from a dealer and in 60 years of owing vehicles have bought less than a dozen from dealers. I also do my own maintenance and most repairs
__________________

__________________
07 GMC CC LB dually LBZ, Idaho Rob EFI, DeeZee boards, 50 gal TransferFlow inbed tank
05 32' Montana Mountaineer 5th wheel 2 slides
1941 Ford cpe 454/700R4
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RVģ is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×