Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2021, 04:36 PM   #21
NH_Bulldog

If I read it right, the question was specifically about the USB ports in the bunk areas. There are no 110vac outlets in the bunk areas, just USB ports.

That being said, I installed this in place of the exterior duplex outlet on the sidewall of the camper. It won’t work if we are boondocking, but we don’t do that often.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D9270445-6A5D-4F58-9635-BB8D91B3CBF7.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	31969  
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 06:03 PM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
If I read it right, the question was specifically about the USB ports in the bunk areas. There are no 110vac outlets in the bunk areas, just USB ports.

That being said, I installed this in place of the exterior duplex outlet on the sidewall of the camper. It won’t work if we are boondocking, but we don’t do that often.

You are right. The OP did not ask about "bunk" areas; the "bump" did. I don't have "bunk areas" but my bedroom does and that's what I referenced.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 07:32 AM   #23
crawford

Thanks everyone. My experience with the lower-powered USB ports that they charge newer devices pretty slowly; in the case of an iPad, slower than they consume power.

I can adjust my expectations, but wanted to know in advance. Not like it’s a dealbreaker on a new camper!
crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 01:21 PM   #24
BigBobIa

How about a power bank?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MB11ZQX...7BZE4SMPHG6PQG

At 2.1A that is 10 watt output. Leave plugged in charging and then available to run and charge the iPod.
Old 02-14-2021, 01:39 PM   #25
MarkEHansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
The current ports will safely charge everything you plug into them, but may take a little longer than you are used to. Yes, you can buy replacement USB outlets at higher output wattages, but unless you label them for specific devices only, you run the risk of overheating the device battery, which can shorten the life of the device or cause a fire. If you went no higher than a 5 volt DC with 5 watt output, you should be fine, but we have never had any issues using the provided ports.
Can you please explain what you mean here? A device plugged in will only draw the power it needs. It can't be "over-powered". You can certainly provide too many volts, but power (amps) is not the same.

If your device attempts to draw more power than the circuit from the power source is capable, you run the risk of over-heating the line/circuit. A properly designed circuit will have a fuse to protect against this.

Tags
outlets