Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2012, 05:21 AM   #1
crash

securing harleys in a toy hauler.

What type of system do you use to haul your motorcycles.We use the removeable front tire style but I dont care for it, but I like the removeable part of it.
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
allis15

I like the Pingel.
Have had it about 12 years, and like it because it is easily removable.

Recently bought a new Ultra Classic and purchased the chrome tie down brackets that bolt to the front forks.

Gary

http://pingelonline.com/wheel_chocks.htm
allis15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
Karlb

pit bull trailer restraint, strapless removeable.
Karlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
Little Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
What type of system do you use to haul your motorcycles.We use the removeable front tire style but I dont care for it, but I like the removeable part of it.
We like the Condor wheel chock or the Wheeldock.
The condor system is excellent. It is easily removed from the TH and you can use it freestanding in your garage.
Those Pingels are junk by comparison, although they are lot less expensive.
2012 Laredo 294RK TT "Larry"
'09 Chevy 2500HD Crewcab, 6.0L vortec (gas)
*Wishin' for a diesel*
Equal-I-Zer sway control hitch

Life is good!
Little Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
allis15

Video of Condor Wheel Chock

Gary

allis15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #6
jrp

I also use a Condor locking front wheel chock, with front & rear tie-downs, for my Harley Ultra.
jrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #7
BRAPOM

I use a front wheel chock mounted to a diamond plate that is 2 foot by 1 foot, two straps to center and 2 more on each side running front to back in a x pattern. Aslo you might want to add a back up camera to the hauler area to watch you bike in transit. Happy travles
BRAPOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:25 AM   #8
crash

Never thought about a back camera in the garage area ,Thats a great idea.
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #9
nuskovich

I am taking a motorcycle (850cc) to Alaska for a friend. I am not buying a mounting system, what are your ideas for securing the bike?? I am thinking of fabricating front and rear wheel cradles and straping to D-rings. What point of contacts on bike do you use??
Tikka .300WM w/ Leupold VariX III 3.5-10
nuskovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
mpd2001

Frame Lock

I use the frame lock system, awesome system, I can load my street glide and my wifes softail in the raptor in 10 min by myself. and once the pin is in you do not have to worry about the bikes at all. There are a couple videos on on there website. Really happy with the investment,
www.garagetoyz.net/frame.html
mpd2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #11
old racer

We use a harbor freight wheel chock and it works good. The pics shown are with a different chock. We went to the other style so it could be used with the bike at night when camping. In addition, our floor joists run from front to rear. The Harbor Freight or Condor chock spreads the weight out over two joists. As the pics show, the wheel chock is simply strapped towards the rear. When you strap the bike down, the straps pulling forward keep the wheel chock straps tight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2636.jpg
Views:	1622
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	2104   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2645.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	2105   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2643.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	2106  
old racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #12
rs1718

I use a bolt it on 2 cruiser set up. Two electra-glides in a 2012 300mp no problem. Was spendy 400 bucks but worth it to me. Look it up at boltiton.com
rs1718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:03 AM   #13
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuskovich View Post
I am taking a motorcycle (850cc) to Alaska for a friend. I am not buying a mounting system, what are your ideas for securing the bike?? I am thinking of fabricating front and rear wheel cradles and straping to D-rings. What point of contacts on bike do you use??
The 1st thing is when U think u have a good tiedown setup add at least two straps. There are alot of hidden bumps and heaves that you will not see any where else like coming to Alaska. So overkill in this case would be a good idea.

I use a Kondor but I do not bolt it to my floor of my toy hauler. I drilled two holes on each side of the wheel and installed a set of "S" hooks to tie bike in solid to Kondor. Then I run a strap from each side of the triple tree, using loop straps, down to the floor "D" rings. Pulling the front suspension down pretty tight. In the rear I ran another set of loop straps to the bottom of the shocks, as I did not see a reason to pull down suspension in rear, to floor "D" rings. Bikes stayed put both going to the lower 48 and on the return trip. Only thing that happened is the ladder fell from upper bunker and dented my wife's Sportie fender. Bunks did not get raised all the way to the roof.
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #14
randy69

I use bought a condor and installed the mounting bracket and 8 more tie downs in the garage. And never hauled my harley springer yet , Only dirt toys. My question is, Do you still have to carry some kind of ramps, So you don't scrape the pipes???? And can one man pull that harley out of the wheel chock easly ???? .

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #15
tanman32225

I secure two Goldwings in the rear of mine. I use cargo straps to secure mine and nothing else. I put a couple on the front and a couple on the rear and a couple at the middle. I use no chocks or other restraining devices and see no need to use them. oh, I also for shaking movement wrap another across the seats.

It takes a little while to strap them both down but afterwards they are secure.
tanman32225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #16
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy69 View Post
I use bought a condor and installed the mounting bracket and 8 more tie downs in the garage. And never hauled my harley springer yet , Only dirt toys. My question is, Do you still have to carry some kind of ramps, So you don't scrape the pipes???? And can one man pull that harley out of the wheel chock easly ???? .
I have a V Rod and I have to force my cycle jack underneath, but not had an issue loading. The ramp can be pretty intimadating looking at it but not a big deal. Riding out backwards is a different story. PLEASE DO REMEMBER AT THE BOTTOM OF THE RAMP YOU ARE GOING TO LOSE CONTACT WITH THE GROUND AND YOUR FEET BECAUSE OF RAMP ANGLE.

Also If worried about hitting when loading bike run the rear wheels of tow vehicle up on some blocks or drop the front wheels in a ditch or find a good hill. This will pitch front of your unit up and the back down.

As far as getting the bike out of the Condor all depends how tight you pull the bike into the chock. I did have a time or two after some rough roads that it stuck a little and had to make an extra grunt to get it out. I found parking as close to the edge of the deck break helped.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:19 AM   #17
T11ravis

Hello everyone,
1st post here, new Raptor 300mp owner as of last night!

I've raced motorcycles for a long time and tried almost every method, chock, etc. in several trailers. Pit Bull Trailer Restraint is the best I've ever used bar none. Not sure how many cruisers they currently can fit but it may be worth a look: http://www.pit-bull.com/mm5/merchant...ler_restraints

2nd choice would be a Condor.
T11ravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:02 AM   #18
Me.Bikes.Dogs

I use a Condor with tie downs going from the Condor to the tie down loops on the floor. Then a more tiedowns from the bike to the loops. Works great. No need to put any bolts or plates into the floor. I have an Electra Glide and a Big Dog Bulldog. My 52 year old butt can get both of them in and out without too much hassle. Both bikes are lowered and neither rub going in or out of me 300MP.
2004 Harley Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide (for fun), 1 dog (great company)

Me.Bikes.Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:22 PM   #19
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by T11ravis View Post
Hello everyone,
1st post here, new Raptor 300mp owner as of last night!

I've raced motorcycles for a long time and tried almost every method, chock, etc. in several trailers. Pit Bull Trailer Restraint is the best I've ever used bar none. Not sure how many cruisers they currently can fit but it may be worth a look: http://www.pit-bull.com/mm5/merchant...ler_restraints

2nd choice would be a Condor.
That is nice...and having something bolted to the floor that far back would put it out of the way, but it will not make an ALCAN trip without strapping the bike down.....let me restate that, if you make the trip and never go above 25 mph it will survive......maybe.

Guys I have seen 5th wheels that have split sturcturely travelling the ALCAN. Whole undercarrages torn from underneath travel trailers. The trip to Alaska is not like anything you ever have travelled unless you travel nothing but little improved dirt roads. Is the whole trip like that no, but there are places that will sneak up and you and bite you hard. Even for a seasoned ALCAN'er like me I miss a sign or forget a whoop and things get moving around.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #20
Karlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy w/ Big Toys View Post
That is nice...and having something bolted to the floor that far back would put it out of the way, but it will not make an ALCAN trip without strapping the bike down......
if a pit bull wont hold it then neither will the tie down points and straps as the pit bull is bolted thru the floor at least as well as the tie down points (actually better in most cases)
Karlb is offline   Reply With Quote