Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2012, 03:12 AM   #1
Seneca

Looking for water heater and water heater by pass switch,

First time in Cougar Lite and can not find the water heater to check the bypass switch before I turn it on. Where are they located?
Seneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:20 AM   #2
Roberson4

Look for a cover like the one in the picture on the outside of your RV. Inside your RV behind this cover is the HWH. There may be a panel with a couple screws in it that have to be removed to see the HWH bypass valves.

2011 Avalanche 340TG
2001 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
B&W Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch
Had
2008 Hornet Retreat 38BHDS (Good camper)
2006 Terry 320DBHS (POS)
Roberson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:44 AM   #3
Roberson4

Here are a couple more pictures. While you RV is different than ours, they are all basically the same.

This picture shows the outside cover removed. The yellow arrow is pointing to the electric on/off switch that is behind the outside cover. Some RVs have this electric switch PLUS another HWH electric on off switch inside the camper at the control panel somewhere.

This picture shows the HWH from inside the camper. There may be a wood panel that needs to be removed to see the backside of the HWH. The yellow arrow is pointing to the HWH bypass valve.

2011 Avalanche 340TG
Had
2006 Terry 320DBHS (POS)
Old 09-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
Seneca

Thank you these photographs have been very helpful. Now the next question is -how do I make the water temperature hotter?
Seneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
Roberson4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seneca View Post
Thank you these photographs have been very helpful. Now the next question is -how do I make the water temperature hotter?
There are no adjustments that I know of or have heard of.
You could try running the HWH on both elec. and gas at the same time, but don't think this will make the water hotter. It should just make the water hot faster.

2011 Avalanche 340TG
Had
2006 Terry 320DBHS (POS)
Old 09-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #6
Shoey

If everything is working properly, I seriously doubt you would need the water to be hotter? I'm on my third camper and on every one, the hot water by itself was too hot to use. Ether the typical 6 gallon hot water heater does not have enough capacity and the recovery time is too long for your needs (in this case using both electrical and propane at the same time will help) or maybe the bypass is not closed all the way, unintentionally allowing some cold water to be mixed in with the hot water.
Shoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Also check that the inside and outside showers are turned off at the valves and not just by the switch on the head.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #8
Roller4Tan

Wink

If you look at the picture of the outside of the water heater you can see a squarish looking black box with two circles on it. This is where your thermostats are , one for AC and one for DC. They come in 130 degree and 140 degree only. So if you have the 130 degree ones you can upgrade to 140. They run around $25 apiece, but like the man says, you shouldn't need it any hotter. my2cents.
Roller4Tan is offline   Reply With Quote