Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2012, 04:39 PM   #21
Phil/Shirl805

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil/Shirl805 View Post
Ok just got back from home depot. Guy in electrical seem to think not enough watts to support both ACs. Will find out shortly. If not found another genny on line for less but much more power, 10000 watts with built in 50 AMP RV outlet. Oh yea and only 45dba with idle control on.
Finished making dog bone for 120/240 20 AMP outlet, still having problem. Ran for about 10 mins triped reset button on outlet. Reset and tried again, this time 13k AC just shut down, did not trip inside breaker or reset button on genny. So i guess it time to sweet talk DW
Phil/Shirl805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #22
Johnnyfry

Generator problems

You need to get a clamp on ammeter to find out just what is going on. Just throwing a larger gennie at the problem is an expensive way to troubleshoot the problem.

The two AC units need to be on opposite legs and you need to make sure that the genset plug is wired to supply split 120/240 volts to the 50 amp trailer plug. You also need to find out where other AC loads are and what they are drawing. You can't guess this stuff, you really need to measure.

Generator sockets are sometimes wired differently than RV plugs so you need to test to be sure.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #23
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyfry View Post
You need to get a clamp on ammeter to find out just what is going on. Just throwing a larger gennie at the problem is an expensive way to troubleshoot the problem.

The two AC units need to be on opposite legs and you need to make sure that the genset plug is wired to supply split 120/240 volts to the 50 amp trailer plug. You also need to find out where other AC loads are and what they are drawing. You can't guess this stuff, you really need to measure.

Generator sockets are sometimes wired differently than RV plugs so you need to test to be sure.

John
Yeah.. I'm with Johhny.

Phil, you also mentioned that the second A/C just stopped and didn't trip the RV breaker or the Benny breaker? Something's not right. I'd validate you're still getting 110v to the A/C.... Based upon the fact that you indicated earlier that you moved it from one leg to the other, I would initially check your wires in the panel. Make sure nothing's loose.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #24
alpine 1

thanks grate;

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
What kind of 5000 watt generator do you have now? I am surprised it would not run both A/Cs.

Current 5000 watt gen power output is 125/250? If so, I'm betting that both A/Cs are wired on the same leg. My avalanche came that way.

Moving one A/C to the other leg will likely solve your problem without buying a new genset.
just moved the bedroom to a different breaker and you are right both a/c are on the same leg yyyyyy
Old 07-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #25
alpine 1

done

Just changed it to a different breaker and you are right they put both AC's on the same poste why would they do that. Thanks for the advice Alpine1