Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2010, 02:32 PM   #1
rburckhart

manual slideout override on 292RKS

Well, I've got another question about my new-to-me '07 Cougar 292RKS. First of all, I guess my slides are electric, since that's what was in the owners packet I got. According to the Lippert slide manual there is a manual override in case you have a problem, but neither I nor the two guys on either side of me here at the RV park can figure out where it is!

My rig has the Polar Package, so the bottom is all covered. My next door neighbor has a '03 Keystone TT and the motor for his slide is evident on the underside of the slide. We don't see any evidence of a motor on mine, and there's sure no 3/4" hex bolt or nut that is supposed to be there that you manually turn to move the slide. Any of you guys have any insight on this? Thanks...Dick
rburckhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:09 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

I may be able to help you locate the access to the manual over-ride/crank. I have a 2008 27RKS 5th which is very similar to yours. You have probably looked in all the obvious places where you think it might or should be found. But you came close by looking underneath.
I have a cut-out access door/flap located on the underbelly by the entrance side of the 5th --- just ahead of the front tire and slightly to the rear of the steps. If you look in this area, you should see a small cut-out about 6 in square. It is cut on 3 sides and the flap held in place by a plastic tie.
If you cut the tie and fold the flap downwards, you will see the manual "crank". I believe it requires a 3/4" drive to turn it. I have never had to use it, but have heard that it takes a very long time to bring the slide in or out by hand. Apparently, the job becomes somewhat easier if you have someone lean against the slide or to pull on it - whichever way you are going. Not sure about using a drill set on torque rather than manually cranking it --- I have heard that it might turn the nut too fast and cause slippage???????/
Hopefully, I will never have to use it but have a 3/4'' driver set aside just in case. And if I ever have to manually move the slide in or out, you can bet it will be raining and I will be lying in mud cranking - and cursing - with each turn of the ratchet.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you find the access to the slide motor and manual crank.

Richard aka Dick
Old 01-28-2010, 05:02 PM   #3
SLIMSHADIE

I dont have the same camper but it might help. I have the flap too and taped shut, so I cut and looked. Basically my crank or nut or socket is on the other side of the camper. My slide is on the road side and the nut just pokes out the frame on the curbside, next to my steps. It basically follows one of the two rails that is on the slide. Hope this helps?
Old 01-28-2010, 05:25 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Wow! I feel special ..... I have a plate (plastic, I think) about 12" square, held on by four hex head screws. It is located in the same area just behind the stairs and believe it or not it was pointed out to me when I asked on my PDI. I keep saying "One of these days, I'm gonna have to remove that plate to see what is really under it." But I'll bet When I get to it I'll be in the same mud puddle as Richard. I only have the one slide so I don't have any idea where they hide the access to the bedroom slide. If the access hole is not cut, I would think you could locate it by listening in that area while someone operates the slide .... assuming it is still working. ....................... Two months and counting till my vacation and on the road again. Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:32 AM   #5
rburckhart

Kudos to you guys!

I sure do appreciate this forum! I crawled partway under my rig this AM (it rained again last night) and lo and behold, there was the flap - thanks guys! Since it was a little wet underneath and I didn't actually open up the flap, it that also where the electric motor is mounted, or is it located on the slide side under my "Polar Package" covering? I have a bedroom slide too, and I lifted the bed and saw the motor and manual bolt, so no problem there. Thanks again - wonder why Keystone couldn't put that info in their manual?
also Richard aka Dick
Old 01-29-2010, 09:04 AM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

Richard aka Dick --- I did have a brief peek inside the flap and I am sure that the slide motor is also located in the same area - close to the manual crank. See, I told you it would be raining and wet underneath! I would think that the reason Keystone does not put this information in their Manual, is that they seem to produce a generic manual that fits all of their RV's and says very little. The manual overrides are located in different locations as well as the accesss to them so Keystone would have to make a different manual for each model. Mmmmm,. what a novel idea!
Glad you found it. Next time, pray for sunshine.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #7
Ruffus

Cool Manual Overide

Now I'm going to have to check mine. My dealer told me that the only manual overide that my unit has is to put a cresent wrench on the square tubing on the drive and wrench away. I don't know, I never had a rig with slide outs. I guess I better wait until it rains though before crawling underneath.
Jim B.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:27 PM   #8
rburckhart

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed...

...but I'm not the dullest either. O.K. - I just crawled underneath and opened the magic trap door and lo and behold there was the motor, but I guess I have to agree with the previous responder in that the only way to move the slide is to crank on the square bar. There was no place on the motor/gear housing to put a wrench, there was only a maybe 1/2" round shaft that stuck out an inch or so and it had a hole in it. So......I looked again under the steps on the outside of the frame for an access hole for a landing gear crank to fit in, and there's nothing there. Boy, if you have to crank on that square bar with a wrench, I guess it wouldn't matter if it rained or not - it would be a bad job any way you looked at it! I guess I'll pray my motor never malfunctions!! Thanks again guys...Dick
Old 01-29-2010, 01:47 PM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

I went online and downloaded , from Lippert, the manual for the electric slideout system. There are two ways the slide can be manually put in or out. One is via a through frame crank - the other, an in frame crank. Ours is the latter. According to the diagram that I am looking at, the motor and the the manual crank extension head are mounted on the same plate. The manual states that you need a 3/4 inch socket and ratchet - the socket fits over the hexagon-shaped metal extension rod. This rod protrudes out about 2 inches or so beyond the plate . You might also see a cotter pin going through the shaft - preventing the shaft and plate from separating. The hole you saw --- should have a cotter pin in it.
The download and resulting manual ofLippert Electric Slideout System is well worth it. It shows a lot of the system that is covered up by the plastic underbelly. It ended up being about 20 pages long. Hope this sheds a bit more light on the manual over-ride.
In any case, let's hope we never have to see if it really works!!!
Old 01-29-2010, 02:03 PM   #10
rburckhart

maybe duller than I think...

I was just showing DW how the bedroom slide motor housing had a hex head so you could crank it manually. I realized there was a spring clip through the shaft; I removed it and whadya know, I now have a hex headed sleeve to slide over the shaft on the bedroom slide so I can manually crank it. It's funny - yesterday I downloaded a manual on the Lippert website, maybe not the right one, or.....maybe I didn't read far enough. Hope this is entertaining for you guys who are a little sharper than I am!
Dick
Old 01-29-2010, 02:10 PM   #11
hankpage
Site Team

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This is what we are looking for ... one in frame ( covered with the magic FLAP)
The other is through frame and usually accessed by the steps.
It looks to me as if there is an adapter that should be on the rod and held on with a pin. It is 16 degrees here but now I am really curious.
There also was a warning that the battery MUST be disconnected or the motor WILL be damaged.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:18 PM   #12
Festus2
Site Team

Should have known----- a picture or photo from Hank is worth a thousand words. Thanks for sending it along and saving me from another 1000.