Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
old racer

South Dakota

Has anyone ever stayed at Elkhorn Ridge Rv resort in SD? We are planning a trip out there this summer and taking our bike. Would like to see the area just not during Sturgis week. Any other camping spots you know of greatly appreciated
old racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
Jim&Kelly

south dakota

We were there last hear for sturgis and stayed at Hill City Palmer Gulch Koa and enjoyed it very much! It was pretty central to all the great rides. Beautiful campground with all the amentities. Would stay there again. We could see all the lights from the nite show at mount rushmore or crazy horse. We reccommend it. Not going to sturgis this year but plan on it next year. We also pack the bike with tent etc. And spend the nite at buffalo chip for one of the concerts. If you go try to get close to the concert arena to have access to the bathrooms..... don't use the portable toilets!......... I repeat...... don't use the portable toilets! NASTY!!!!!!!! Riding in its not hard to get close. Have fun wish we were going this year!
Bela the std poodle
Yoda the Siamese cat
2008 HD heritage softail anniversary edition
Kawasaki teryx side-by-side Atv
Jim&Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:28 AM   #3
fred

we stayed at elk ridge last year one of the best we stayed at.well maintained easy sites to back into and wide roads great pool.
fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:06 AM   #4
Jim W

MY DW and I stayed at the Rafter J-Bar Ranch in Hill City, SD. Great camp ground with pull-thru and back-ins. I believe that there were 4 separate areas for the RV's to park, in this way the camp ground did not seem over crowded with campers. Very near Keystone SD and you can take the train (Steam Engine) run trip to Keystone and back in a couple of hours.
Here are some reviews on the camp ground. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...th_Dakota.html
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:42 AM   #5
campingcpl

We stayed at Rafter J Bar Ranch a couple years back and loved it there! We stayed in the Island section and had wildlife around us every night. The only thing is if you want wi-fi, tv or satilite reception you will want to get into the Base Camp section near the office, there are not many trees in that section. The area we stayed was heavy trees and even though they had a wi-fi antenna a couple hundred feet from our site we still had a hard time getting a strong signal and forget about tv or satilite reception in most of the area's with the heavy tree cover. The people there are really friendly and very helpful. I would have to say one of the best campgrounds we have stayed at. Plus close to all the attractions in the area.
http://www.rafterj.com/
http://www.woodalls.com/campground/c...undid=41022500
http://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions....html#CGID2577

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
antiqfreq

The only time we stayed in South Dakota was for a week at Custer State Park and that has no hook ups.

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #7
Klosequarters

Smile

We are making a trip to SD in mid-June and have reservations at two campgrounds I searched out.

White River KOA at Interior (just south of the east entrance to Badlands NP) and Rushmore Shadows Resort (just north of Rushmore, Custer SP, and near Black Hills) just south of Rapid City.

Both are highly rated and look very nice. Good luck and have a great trip.
2011 F350 Diesel 4WD Lariat
Klosequarters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:06 AM   #8
scott1k

We stayed at both Elkhorn Ridge and Rafter J last summer. Both are excellent. I would suggesting splitting time between both. Elkhorn makes a good base for exploring the northern Black Hills such as Sturgis, Deadwood, and Devil's Tower. Rafter J is a good base for Rushmore, Keystone, Hill City and Custer.
scott1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #9
phenrichs

I would note for you that to traverse the entire Black Hills area is a wonderful experience and the drive straight up from Custer to Deadwood takes about 1 hour. There is really no need to relocate as you will be driving from one thing to the next. There are several great bus tours as well.
Here is the SD website for recreation. http://www.travelsd.com/ For camping another great site is http://campsd.com/ this one is for State parks though which are mostly electric only for site hookups.
phenrichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:40 AM   #10
old racer

Thanks for all of the replys.
old racer is offline   Reply With Quote