Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2014, 07:59 PM   #1
mikebrls

passport 2810 BH ???

I'm looking at buying a new 2810 bh and the dry hitch weight is 565 lbs , Does anyone have an idea what average weight will that be once trailer is loaded ?

Thank you
Mike

any other info you mite want to share with me on this unit will be great .
Thank's again
mikebrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:20 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Most likely somewhere between 10% and 15% of the total weight will be where the tongue weight will fall.

Example: if the trailer loaded and ready to camp weighs in at 6000 lbs, the tongue will probably fall somewhere between 600 lbs and 900 lbs. Don't forget that the weight of the actual hitch will be added to that.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:58 AM   #3
mikebrls

I can have a max of 780 lbs on hitch to stay in spec of truck weights,I would be getting a equalizer wd sway hitch thats around 60 lbs
max weight on trailer is 7200lbs so if fully loaded I would need to be at 10% max weight and that would be 720lbs on hitch , do you think this is doable with loading trailer with goods for 4 people plus hose's tool box ect,

thank's
mike
Old 09-14-2014, 10:31 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebrls View Post
........do you think this is doable with loading trailer with goods for 4 people plus hose's tool box ect,

thank's
mike
Mike -
If you could provide us with some specs of your truck (door sticker info for example), it might help us give you a more accurate assessment as to whether or not "it is doable". Also, taking your "ready to go camping" tow vehicle to a scale and getting it weighed would give you an even more definitive answer.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:51 AM   #5
mikebrls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Mike -
If you could provide us with some specs of your truck (door sticker info for example), it might help us give you a more accurate assessment as to whether or not "it is doable". Also, taking your "ready to go camping" tow vehicle to a scale and getting it weighed would give you an even more definitive answer.

I have already deducted 600 lbs of people inside truck and these #s are left over
payload 784 lbs or hitch weight subtract wd 60lbs = 724 lbs allowed
trailer weight 6966 lbs allowed

im thinking I should be able to come in a at-least 3 or 400 lbs lighter then max weight on trailer " 7200 lbs "
I was just worried about the hitch weight , I no my truck would have no problem with the weight , but I wanted to be legal as far as the weight in concerned

my truck is a 2014 Ram Ecodeisel 1500 crew cab 4x4 with 3.55 gear ratio

thank you
mike
Old 09-14-2014, 11:05 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I can have a max of 780 lbs on hitch to stay in spec of truck weights,I would be getting a equalizer wd sway hitch thats around 60 lbs
max weight on trailer is 7200lbs so if fully loaded I would need to be at 10% max weight and that would be 720lbs on hitch , do you think this is doable with loading trailer with goods for 4 people plus hose's tool box ect,

thank's
mike
The "weak link" in your "reasoning" is that you're assuming your truck/trailer combination will "tow properly" at 10% tongue weight. That may well NOT be the situation at all. Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, the physical characteristics of the combination will not perform well (stop sway and bounce) with a "minimum tongue loading"..... Quite often people find that they need to reload their trailer to increase tongue weight to find a compromise that allows for "comfortable and safe" towing. If you calculate your loading at the "bare minimum" and buy a "top of that limit" trailer, what are you going to do if you encounter a trailer that won't stop "bouncing your lunch out of your stomach" until your tongue weight approaches 15%?

You can't always count on a mechanical combination to perform at the minimum, so calculating the "unknown" using that logic will probably disappoint you when you get on the road and face the reality of towing an "uncompromising rig"....

Then you'll face a decision of buying a new tow vehicle or not towing to the places you really bought the trailer to visit. Don't compromise, make sure you're going to be able to tow within your rig's weight limits with the "worst case scenario. It'll save you time, money and frustration/disappointment in the years to come.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:07 AM   #7
Rick2887

I can only offer a guess because we didn't unhook and weigh the tongue but I suspect you'll come in between 675 and 750 depending on what's loaded inside and how it's loaded.
Rick2887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:49 PM   #8
RGene7001

It all depends on how you load the trailer. In my case i try to carry 0.3 to 0.5 tank of water, put bulky but light stuff in the front storage, small and heavy items go to the rear storage and in the kitchen cabinets over the axles. After weight distribution is engaged (10-15% of weight is sent to the back ) my hitch weight is essentially same as empty, no more than 11% of total trailer weight. My weight receipt is somewhere in my prior posts.

Gene.

'13 Passport 2650 BH- traded in
RGene7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:35 PM   #9
bsmith0404

As already mentioned, I recommend staying away from anything that is borderline thinking you can load it heavy in the back to compensate. The attitude could require a redistribution of load to get it to tow best. If that puts you over, then what? I remember with our race car trailer we had to load everything we possibly could in the tool box up front, even added a couple extra tires on the rack that we didn't need just to keep the weight right so it wouldn't sway. During the off season we moved the axles back two inches so we didn't have to bring extra crap we didn't need. RVs are typically built pretty well so you don't have too many sway problems, but if you compensate for tongue weight capacity by loading everything in the back, you could run into problems.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:44 PM   #10
mikebrls

Look's like I will be liven on the edge Everything is with in spec, if the moon is aligned rite , It seem's there is nothing in a decent trailer unless its a pop up that will be 100% in spec 100% of the time once filled with cargo ,
I was just looking at the 2650 bh and that is lighter with a unloaded weight of 4819 but still has a 540 tong weight so once loaded even that has a chance of being over weight , even with 300 lb extra in the tong loaded im over weight , but here's the kicker I have 3900 lb axles so in reality even with the 2810 I would be under the axle rating fully loaded
There was a guy on the diesel forum that was towing 9500 lb trailer with same truck and he posted his cat scale receipt he had 4400 lbs on is rear axle and 3500 on front axle and 8500 lbs trailer axel now that is over weight , so now that I'm thinking with a trailer thats an easy 2500 lbs lighter I would think my back axle will be 700 to 800 lbs lighter easy , My truck has enough weight for the trailer the kicker is the tong weight
Old 09-17-2014, 04:48 PM   #11
mikebrls

13,500 combined gross weight check out this guy really living on the edge, and I'm worried about an extra 100 lbs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cat scale.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	7049  
Old 09-17-2014, 05:18 PM   #12
bsmith0404

Quote:
13,500 combined gross weight check out this guy really living on the edge, and I'm worried about an extra 100 lbs
Yep, he is seriously overweight and probably brags about it. Just another guy on the road that knows more than the manufacturer or highway safety folks about what his truck can safely tow.

Heck when I was a kid growing up on the farm, we used to tow hay wagons, without trailer brakes, in excess of 10k lbs, hitched to the bumper of a 2 wheel drive chevy 1/2 ton. Just because we did it, didn't make it safe.

You are close on your numbers and your truck will probably handle it just fine. Since you're going this route do everyone a favor and get on the scales and adjust your load accordingly. It's all about safety.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 09-17-2014, 05:35 PM   #13
mikebrls

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Yep, he is seriously overweight and probably brags about it. Just another guy on the road that knows more than the manufacturer or highway safety folks about what his truck can safely tow.

Heck when I was a kid growing up on the farm, we used to tow hay wagons, without trailer brakes, in excess of 10k lbs, hitched to the bumper of a 2 wheel drive chevy 1/2 ton. Just because we did it, didn't make it safe.

You are close on your numbers and your truck will probably handle it just fine. Since you're going this route do everyone a favor and get on the scales and adjust your load accordingly. It's all about safety.
Yes, I have a cat scale about a 1/2 hour from me , it will be the first trip I make there's about 1700 lbs of ccc after battery and propane , so If I can come in with 700 lbs of cargo I will be 1000 lbs under gross weight and be in great shape , as we all no with a wife and a little girl things can add up quickly I think maybe 50 lbs max for me " clothes " 150 lbs for wife and 150 lbs for kid that will still leave me 100 lbs for hose's tool's ect, and 50 lbs for food and I will be greatly under max gross weight and keep my weight 100% in check for the truck
mike
Old 09-17-2014, 05:47 PM   #14
bsmith0404

Quote:
Yes, I have a cat scale about a 1/2 hour from me , it will be the first trip I make there's about 1700 lbs of ccc after battery and propane , so If I can come in with 700 lbs of cargo I will be 1000 lbs under gross weight and be in great shape , as we all no with a wife and a little girl things can add up quickly I think maybe 50 lbs max for me " clothes " 150 lbs for wife and 150 lbs for kid that will still leave me 100 lbs for hose's tool's ect, and 50 lbs for food and I will be greatly under max gross weight and keep my weight 100% in check for the truck
mike
Don't forget your camp chairs, tables, coolers, screen tent, grill, extra power cord, camp lantern, small propane bottles, blocks for your scissor jacks, leveling blocks for under the tires, x chocks, fishing poles/tackle boxes, outdoor carpet/mats, and lord knows what else I've added to the basement storage of our 5er. Seems like every time we go out something else gets added.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 09-17-2014, 06:03 PM   #15
mikebrls

Quote:
Don't forget your camp chairs, tables, coolers, screen tent, grill, extra power cord, camp lantern, small propane bottles, blocks for your scissor jacks, leveling blocks for under the tires, x chocks, fishing poles/tackle boxes, outdoor carpet/mats, and lord knows what else I've added to the basement storage of our 5er. Seems like every time we go out something else gets added.
All that stuff does add up , but we will mainly be using the trailer for 3 or 4 day trips and once or twice a year for 10 day trips , I will have to watch what I load and since I will loading everything I will be able to keep both eye's on it .
I already told my wife that we can't pack this like we did the class A dp that I had example , instead of bringing 3 case's of water and a bunch of canned food we wait to we get where we are going and go shopping instead of hauling it from the start ,
Thank you for your help
mike
Old 09-18-2014, 09:06 AM   #16
Topglock

[QUOTE=mikebrls;144506]Look's like I will be liven on the edge Everything is with in spec, if the moon is aligned rite , It seem's there is nothing in a decent trailer unless its a pop up that will be 100% in spec 100% of the time once filled with cargo ,
I was just looking at the 2650 bh and that is lighter with a unloaded weight of 4819 but still has a 540 tong weight so once loaded even that has a chance of being over weight , even with 300 lb extra in the tong loaded im over weight , but here's the kicker I have 3900 lb axles so in reality even with the 2810 I would be under the axle rating fully loaded
There was a guy on the diesel forum that was towing 9500 lb trailer with same truck and he posted his cat scale receipt he had 4400 lbs on is rear axle and 3500 on front axle and 8500 lbs trailer axel now that is over weight , so now that I'm thinking with a trailer thats an easy 2500 lbs lighter I would think my back axle will be 700 to 800 lbs lighter easy , My truck has enough weight for the trailer the kicker is the tong

Your truck will do just fine. I pull a 27' Bullet with my 03 F150 screw with the 4.6 0-30 is not fun but once I'm rolling it pulls good.

We camp every year at yogi bear in Fremont Indiana and you would be surprised on how many big TT are being pulled by small tv. Heck while we were there a family bought a new 28' Bullet from the rv dealer attached to yogi and they were pulling it with a gmc acadia.

I would like to upgrade into F250 gas in the near future.
Topglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:59 AM   #17
bsmith0404

My understanding is that weight ticket was with a 1500 not a 2500

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 09-18-2014, 01:17 PM   #18
mikebrls

Quote:
My understanding is that weight ticket was with a 1500 not a 2500
Yes 1500 ecodeisel about 3000+ lbs over loaded

I weighed my truck empty today because I past a cat scale , my drive axle was in the 2500 lb range and steer axle was at 3500 range " I have ticket in truck " where as that guy had 4400 lbs on the drive axle that like 2000 lbs of tong weight
Old 09-20-2014, 04:54 AM   #19
Tbos

You may want to check your tongue weight allowance again. If you have a WD hitch it often goes up quite a bit. Mine goes from 900 to 1100 on my GMC. However, with a typical load on the truck it gets reduced back to about 1000. As mentioned by others, the fun thing is finding the right balance. When I bought my TT in OH I towed it home with no water, tools, toys, cairs, bbq , etc... in it. And it tracked like a dream. Now that I've had it a few months and know what we usually carry I plan on getting everything weighed this week. When I bought I gave myself a 1000 allowance between tow capacity and dry weight. I hope it turns out to be enough. I wish I'd been proactive and joined a forum 1st like you have.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:15 AM   #20
Javi

As a note.. my 2890RL which is pretty close to the same trailer has a tongue weight of 1060 pounds loaded with 1/2 tank of water (tank is at the front).

We are loaded pretty light in comparison to others I see on here, but with the 2890RL the storage is mostly under the bed or under the seats in the booth.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote