Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2013, 06:31 AM   #1
woodsman

Leak inside slideout

hello. I recently purchased a 2011 Passport 2590bh. I took it to a dealer to do their 45 point inspection and it passed with flying colors (only needed 1 $3 part). So I was thrilled. However, I went camping this past weekend (in torrential rain I might add)...and at the end of our trip, we notice a small leak below the large window on the slideout. I assumed it was the window, and purchased the caulk etc, but oddly enough when I went to apply it (after the slide had been closed for 2 days, it was all dried up)....the rain has not stopped here in NC.. so I am wondering why a window would leak when the slide was out, but not when the slide was in? I inspected the seal around the window, and can't really see any defects in the caulk.. has anyone else run into this? thank you....
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:02 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You didn't say where the inside of the camper is wet, it may be that you don't have a leak, but rather condensation is forming on the window and running down onto the frame of the window. If the "wet" is along the bottom lip of the window next to the glass, that's pretty much normal. If you look closely, there's two holes/slits in the aluminum frame along the bottom edge so that water can drain to the outside. If, however, the "wet" is along the wallboard, you may have a leak in the sealant and just didn't spot it. Most of us, rather than buy "sealant" to stop that kind of leak, will remove the entire window, clean the camper sidewall and the window of all "old" butyl tape and apply a new thread of butyl tape to the flange starting at the bottom center of the window frame and continuing with one piece of butyl tape until it joins, again at the bottom. Then, reinstall the window, tightening all the screws evenly and similar to the way you torque lug nuts on a wheel until the butyl tape is compressed equally all along the perimeter of the window frame.

Good luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
woodsman

thank you for the quick reply. the leak was running down the wall in the middle of the window. it was definitely not condensation...there was too much water for that, and that was the only place it was coming in, checked all other windows as well. I will take your suggestion and have the seal replaced.

did you have any thoughts as to why it would leak when the slide was out, but not when closed? I thought this was strange....
Old 12-10-2013, 07:51 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

woodsman -
IF you have a slide topper, that may have acted as bit of a barrier to any rain falling on the upper edge of the window while the slide was in and there was no leaking. When the slide was extended, the topper was not "over" the window and didn't act like a canopy. Just a thought.....???
Old 12-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Additionally, when the slide is out, there is no pressure on the outer wall, so it "hangs there". When the slide is in, that wall rests against the framework of the RV side wall. This puts a little pressure on the wall and "bends it" just enough to possibly straighten any curve that might be in the wall. ???? That's a "hypothetical guess" at best, but may explain why the window leaks when the slide is out, but the sidewall of the slide is "bent" just enough to put pressure on the window and prevent a leak when the slide is in.

Strictly a guess, nothing scientific to base the guess on !!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
woodsman

thank you both for your input... I will replace the window seal see if that fixed the prob...