Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2011, 07:48 PM   #1
dixonlaredo

Outdoor kitchen stove issue

Hello everyone. Well this weekend went fine with the door to the kitchen, but the outdoor cooktop had a melt down. The one burner would not turn off and started to melt the the switch. I had to shut off the gas to turn it off. Anyone else have similar issues?
dixonlaredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:50 AM   #2
Outbackmel

Cooktop Meltdown

No, but thanks for the warning. I certainly will be more observant of this when cooking. If you ever figure out "why", please post it. You made me think where my gas shut off is and to go there first and fast ! (of course I hope the need never happens).
Let's see if there are any other similar stories out there.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
therink

Yes, I have had the same problem. Well almost. I noticed that on the cheap po* stove, the valves heat up when boiling large pot for a long time. Using a large pot causes the heat to come out too close to the valves. My valve started to stick and was afraid it was going to melt. Glad I caught it when I did. Very disappointed KEYSTONE.
These stoves are not good for anything more than heating up a can of beans. I remember telling my wife when we bought it that I didn't want the outside kitchen, just because of this reason. I rarely even use it now.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
The Sod Father

I rarely use the stove, but REALLY like having the fridge, sink and cabinet in the outside kitchen. The stove is useless IMHO since it is low pressure and generates very little heat. Great for frying an egg on a still day, but that's about it.
Tekonsha Prodigy playing the role of brake control
The Sod Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sod Father View Post
I rarely use the stove, but REALLY like having the fridge, sink and cabinet in the outside kitchen. The stove is useless IMHO since it is low pressure and generates very little heat. Great for frying an egg on a still day, but that's about it.
All LP stoves are low pressure as the gas pressure is controlled by the regulator. It doesn't matter if the regulator is at the propane bottle or on the stove. It still reduces the gas pressure to 11"WC. The amount of heat generated is determined by the BTU rating of he stove. If you look closely, you see that your three burner stove has 2 burners that are rated less than the third one.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:34 PM   #6
The Sod Father

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
All LP stoves are low pressure as the gas pressure is controlled by the regulator. It doesn't matter if the regulator is at the propane bottle or on the stove. It still reduces the gas pressure to 11"WC. The amount of heat generated is determined by the BTU rating of he stove. If you look closely, you see that your three burner stove has 2 burners that are rated less than the third one.
Yes and no. My Coleman popup had two stoves. A low pressure inside stove and a high pressure outside stove. Low pressure tends to not do too well outside where there is wind which is why a high pressure appliance is preferred.

When I cook outside (which is most of the time) I use one of these.
Cabelas 3 burner blind stove. The one I have is branded by Cabelas but Camp Chef now has their brand on it. Most of my camping buddies use the Camp Chef Pro 90. Same idea in that it puts out a ton of BTU's and is, I believe, high pressure.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:50 PM   #7
Bob Landry

Even your "High Pressure" stove has to have a regulator. High pressure right out of the bottle would shut off the orifice. I don't know if we are talking the same thing, but there are only two pressures associated with propane, at least for RVs. High pressure which is right out of the bottle and regulated. There's nothing in between.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:06 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

The "jet burner" stoves and fish fryers don't have a regulator (unless you want to consider the on/off valve a regulator) and they run on pressure directly from the LP tank. Mine will go through a 20 lb LP cylinder in about 5 hours. It will heat 6 gallons of oil to 375 F in about 7 or 8 minutes and keep it there with a 12 lb turkey added to the pot.

It consists of a steel framework, a burner rack, a 48" hose with a brass burner assembly on one end. The cap has a 1/16 IN hole drilled in it and a shut off valve/gas connection on the other. There's no regulator anywhere, only the valve on one end and the "burner orfice" on the other. It will shoot flames about 5 ft into the air without a pot to deflect the fire.

It is my understanding that nearly all the disposable cylinder stoves use a similar setup to produce flame and there is no "diaphragm regulator" in any of them that I have used. All the Coleman white gas stoves use pretty much the same system to operate. Pump the tank to pressurize the gas, then control/adjust the flow through the shutoff valve. No regulator on them either.

However, my quick connect gas connection comes off the trailer manifold and is tied into the same automatic regulator used for the entire trailer gas supply. It is low pressure and feeds the grill through a flex hose at 11 in of water pressure as Bob says.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:52 PM   #9
The Sod Father

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
Even your "High Pressure" stove has to have a regulator. High pressure right out of the bottle would shut off the orifice. I don't know if we are talking the same thing, but there are only two pressures associated with propane, at least for RVs. High pressure which is right out of the bottle and regulated. There's nothing in between.
Yes there is a regulator, but it allows more pressure through that 11WC.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:22 PM   #10
dixonlaredo

problem resolved....keystone put in a new stovetop.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #11
rturriff7

Did they replace it with the same type of stove or a different (better) one?
Andersen Ultimate
Honda EU3000is
rturriff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #12
dixonlaredo

replaced with same cooktop. that was all the warranty would cover. Some one mentioned not using a large pot on the cooktop, but mine melted while cooking eggs in an 8 inch skillet. Will be much more careful next time.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #13
Lluker

YES! I have mentioned this very thing in another part of this forum and can not find it... it didn't get any responses but now I see you have had the same problem.... I was looking at this melted knobs and face plate and wondered the same thing... if this happened how many folks would have the presence of mind to go turn off the gas as soon as they see the melting happening? Thank you for posting this matter and verifying my concerns are not just a fluke on our 2008 Passport 285RLS. Now the question is what to do with the darn thing... hummm.
Lluker is offline   Reply With Quote