Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
maisiedog

Too much TT for 2001 F150?

I'm new to this so forgive my ignorance. I'm looking at buying the Cougar 24RLS, with WDH/sway, but concerned with my ability to get it up and over mountain passes. I live in South Lake Tahoe, and most of our exscursion are in the eastern Sierras, not the most forgiving of mountain passes. I have a 2001 Ford F150 5.4 V8 4X4 Screw with 4.10 gears and other mods for max towing capacity. Yet, I've never towed with the truck I bought it years ago with all the mods. I've spent the last three days pouring over my Ford owners guide, reading thread after thread on weight limits and recomendations, caulculating GCWR, trying to stay at 80% of max towing for my vehicle. My owners guide says GCWR is 13500, max trailer weight 7700, well that right there tells me I'm over if I want to stay at 80% with the Cougar weighing in at 5854 dry, and I haven't even factored in the cargo weight and my campershell that I would rather not have to take off every time I wanted to tow TT out of the Tahoe basin. My question is what difference do all the modification make to my towing capacity, if any. And I might add that this all feels so subjective, I hear alot of people saying the truck was made to tow so tow, but most of the people with active imaginations and opinions about pushing the tow limits don't live anywhere near or travel in the Rockies or Sierras. I love the trailer, but need to be realistic as I'm not looking to replace my truck for another couple of years. I'd appreciate any advice.
maisiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

When you asked...."what difference do all my modifications make to my towing capacity".... could you list/explain all of the modifications that you have made that you think will make a difference to your towing capacity? A vehicle's towing capacity is deterrmined by:
1) First checking the sticker in your tow vehicle. Look for the combined gross weight rating (CGWR).... the weight of everything (loaded TV, loaded TT, etc.)
2) Determine the loaded weight of your TV - including the fuel, passengers, cargo, etc. Weigh it at a scale if you can.
3) Subtract 2 from 1 and that figure will give you your towing capacity.

There isn't a whole lot, if anything, you can do to change that number - that is why I asked about what modifications you have done. Adding items like airbags, heavier springs, etc., will not increase your towing capacity.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
f6bits

I’m not sure how much the 4:10 mod helps, but on the standard cab, going up to a 3:73 gets you an extra 500 lbs of towing capacity. One other factor is your altitude. With a standard gasser, it’s going to have a harder time climbing hills. Sure, the truck is made to tow, but you’re talking about towing three tons. That’s some pretty serious towing.

It just doesn’t sound like it’s going to be fun. Have you looked at the Passport series? They’re 500 lbs lighter and would put you closer to the 80% when lightly loaded.

And as for the 24RLS, did you see one for sale near you? From what I see on the Keystone site, that’s an eastern model.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
maisiedog

The Keystone dealer in Reno frequently buys Eastern models, so yes we walked through that particular model and loved it, and the salesman assured us that our vehicle could handle it, but I'm having serious second thoughts. My husband is not too concerned but I'm the researcher and worry-wort of the family.
The mods are the gear re-ratio from 3:55 to 4:10, Mag-Hytec rear defferential cover, Mag-Hytec tran pan, tran cooler.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

A word of caution about RV salespeople ... remember that they are in the business of selling RV's and may know very little about towing and tow vehicles. Many will tell you what they think you want to hear........"Not to worry, your Smart Car will be just fine. No problem."
I think you are wise to find out the facts and select a TT that can, first of all, be safely towed by your F150 and secondly, towed without putting excessive strain on all components of your TV in the mountainous area in which you live. Towing on the flats is one thing - towing for long periods of time in the mountains is another story.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:58 AM   #6
Halibutman214

My two cents but plain and simple the Cougar 24RLS is too much for the power you have. Ask the salesman if you can take it for a tow and then decide. I've spent a bit of time in South Lake Tahoe and I don't think towing that rig with your F150 will be much fun.
Halibutman214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:02 AM   #7
maisiedog

I appreciate everyone’s advice and input. I agree salespeople want the sale and will tell you what you want to hear not what you need to hear. I think at this point we are going to be looking at a TT that comes in at a GVWR of <6600#.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:22 AM   #8
f6bits

I must have a weird dealer (Mike Thompson’s). The sales guy talked about weights and said to expect the trailer to weigh 1,000 pounds more once I hit the road. He didn’t even talk about my tow vehicle, nor did I ask (I already did the research). They have big signs in their sales offices that warn that it’s the buyer’s responsibility to figure out if they can tow the trailer and there’s even a form to sign that you understand this responsibility.

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 04-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #9
CampDestinations.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdayman View Post
I must have a weird dealer (Mike Thompson’s). The sales guy talked about weights and said to expect the trailer to weigh 1,000 pounds more once I hit the road. He didn’t even talk about my tow vehicle, nor did I ask (I already did the research). They have big signs in their sales offices that warn that it’s the buyer’s responsibility to figure out if they can tow the trailer and there’s even a form to sign that you understand this responsibility.
Same thing here. Our sales person at Beckley's RV in Thurmont, MD was considerate of what we were towing with. We initially were interested in a KS Spree with a similar layout, but dry weight was near the towing limit. Salesman steered us to the Passport, which loaded up pushed the limits of our 'burb. It worked for where we tow, but I would not have wanted to tow in significant mountain grades.

The OP's F150 has a similar capacity to our previous Suburban. I would try to find a trailer that keeps the loaded weight under 6,000lbs.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:34 PM   #10
chuck&gail

My signature shows what I tow with. I live in the Rockys, so we know what hills are. In fact road to our house exceeds all allowable grade rules for Colorado, so it has remained a private road. Most all of us up here like that, but seems every few years some nut wants road to be made public. County says not unless road is redesigned, LOL.

Our Expedition tows our TT fine, here and whereever we've gone. Limitation is usually VEHICLE tongue weight (not receiver spec, VEHICLE spec), in fact I think that is where 80% rule started, since most TV's rate tongue weight at 10% of tow weight, yet we all (?) know less than 13% is asking for trouble. So suppose tow weight is 10,000#, tongue weight likely 1000#. 80% of 10,000 is 8000. 13% of 8000, drum roll please, 1040#.

So, what is your TONGUE WEIGHT spec. Likely 770#. If so max TT weight is 5900# FULLY LOADED.

Just my two cents.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:13 PM   #11
Jorme

I have been pulling the eastern sierras for years and lived in Reno for 5 of those. The sierras for towing are no joke. 4 in particular come to mind that you can't really get away from. Those are spooner, Conway, deadmans, and sherwin. Even if the truck tows ok, that's a lot of trailer for that truck on those hills. Cooling is going to be put to the test both in the motor and trans. Not to mention the strain you are going to put on your braking system on the way down. I would suggest either a bigger tv or find a smaller tt

https://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l..._1572720_n.jpg
Jorme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:38 PM   #12
maisiedog

We’ll I think we’ve come to the conclusion that we definitely need a smaller trailer. I’m afraid we are locked in with this particular dealer as we’ve put money down and signed an intent to purchase. I know stupid on my part, lesson learned. Frankly I would like to get my deposit back and start over with another dealer, but at the very least hoping this dealer will work with us on getting us into a trailer that fits our circumstance. I appreciate everyone’s feedback, this is what I needed. Any advice on my new predicament, If I tell them no thanks to any sort of deal with them am I out my deposit?

KP
Old 04-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #13
Festus2
Site Team

Hopefully your dealer will understand your circumstances and work with you so that you can get a TT that better suits your TV. I would think that he would still be happy to sell you an RV - even though it may be somewhat smaller, he would still be making a profit.
I can't comment on your legal obligations having put a deposit and signed an intent to purchase. Was your intention a specific make and model or was it simply a general intent with no mention of a particular unit?
The main thing is to try to get a TT that you are happy with and one that you are certain will be safely towed by your TV. Can't see much sense in having to buy something you are not going to be pleased with right from the get-go. You don't want to buy something that you really don't want.
If at all possible, I'd really try to work with your dealer so that you will end up in a win-win situation for the two of you.
Let us know how you make out and good luck with your negotiations!
Old 04-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #14
maisiedog

Our intent was to purchase the Cougar 24rls, but running the numbers and listening to the feedback here has made us uncomfortable with that match up to our TV.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #15
f6bits

If it’s the rear lounge setup you’re looking for, there isn’t much that’s lighter. The Passport 2850RLWE is quite a bit lighter but may be hard to find.

I find that the nicer units are also heavier since they’re made with more and better options. That’s why the Passport, being lower cost, is quite a bit lighter. Other manufacturers seem to have the same offerings as far as weight and features.

2011 Passport 2590BH