Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
azlee56

Wanted: Info on Airbags

I did a search on here and didn't really find anything. I am looking them up, but I don't have much knowledge of these and the bf doesn't have internet (so I am doing the search). For a Ford 250 diesel 7.3l engine, what would you suggest for air bags? They don't need to be automatic and all that. We just need some more lift on the back of the truck. Blasted landing gear is lower then any others we have seen (by design) and we'd like to pick it up a bit (I am told).
azlee56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

There are a variety of air bags available --- Firestone, Air Lift, Hellwig, and Goodyear to name a few. Firestone seems to be the most common and there are a wide number of kits from which to choose. Try going to the Firestone website and search for air bag kits. Once you find that section, you will need to type in the make, model, year and perhaps a couple of other pieces of info and a proper fitting kit will come up for you.
If your bf is handy, he can install it himself.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
azlee56

info on air bags

Thanks! I am learning more stuff since doing this RV thing. Fortunately, my boyfriend is very capable of doing so many things. He is a maintenance guy by trade. Only his body prevents him from doing stuff. I was so proud of him replacing a roof on our last 5th wheel. Amazing job too, I must say!

I am going to go look now. I have to learn new ways of saying stuff, but I am fortunate I have helped with auto mechanics through the years!
Old 03-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Go with the Firestone Ride- Rites, you won't be sorry. Easy to install and simple to use. Shop around, prices vary greatly for same kits. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
SAABDOCTOR

I too would go with the Firestone riderights. had them on a plow truck lasted for years with all the sand and salt here in the northeast good luck
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
Jim & Kay

Yes, I too agree, the Firestone Ride Rite IMHO are the best. I have them on my Toyota Tundra and they do a great job with our Cougar HC 5er. We decided to go with an on board air compressor because once we unhook I deflate the air bags to approx. 15 lbs and then reinflate when I hook back up to approx 70 lbs and without the an air compressor on board this would be difficult. Installation was about 2.5 hr job.
If the landing gear seems to be low on your 5er, maybe checking and changing the adjustment on the king pin may help. Good Luck

HAPPY TRAILS TO YOU
Jim, Kay, & Our Furry Kids
2012 Cougar HC 5er 291RLS aka "Rt 66 B&B"
2008 Toyota Tundra aka "The Hoss" 4X4 Limited DC 5.7 L
6 S Tranny w/TowHaul 4.30 RG 20" tires
Firestone Airbags w/compressor
16K Superglide hitch

Lovers of Route 66
Jim & Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #7
azlee56

air bags

Thanks. Does anyone happen to know if in bed hitch means factory 5th wheel hitch. We installed ours, so it would be the other one? Even this place here in Tucson wasn't sure.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
SLIMSHADIE

Factory hitch I believe would be the bumper hitch. I'm guessing cause the 5th wheel hitch was only an option in the last year or too. With your older reliable 7.3, the only hitch offered then would be the bumper hitch. Also I've ordered my firestone ride-rites from http://www.truckspring.com. At least you could get some good info there and pricing.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:57 PM   #9
azlee56

wanted: info on airbags

Thanks to who ever changed my title! I am a slow learner.

So I found out that the 2450 got replaced, so I gave up and emailed firestone to find out what I really need. There is a big gap of price what they will charge here in town to the internet. If you all don't mind I would love to have you look at few places and see if it is real or memorex (ie, if it true or I am getting rooked).

thanks!
Old 04-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #10
DJ85

I installed a set of Air Lift Air Bags. F-250 4x4 6.4l diesel pulling an RES 327. Before it would set the truck on the overload springs and talk about a rough ride. Since installing the air bags at 50 psi it pulls like a dream no more suspension bottoming out and the ride is quite comfortable. I think I am going to play around a little with the air pressure just to see if this the best psi to run. Just do your shopping and comparing don't go with a brand name find the best warranty on the product. Trust me you wont regret putting some on your truck. The only question you will ask is why did I wait so long.
DJ85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:03 AM   #11
antiqfreq

We have the Firestone Ride-Rite air bag with on board compressor in our F250, 7.3L diesel for 4 years now - no problems.

Not hard to install - hubby did it in a few hours at our house!

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:47 AM   #12
mhs4771

Just remember: Air Bags, Air Shocks, etc do not increase your TVs carring capacity. They will bring you TV back up to level, but can't change the weight your rear axle and tires can carry.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:33 AM   #13
azlee56

Bought the firestone airbags and the boyfreind went to install them on Saturday and after starting decided he wasn't quite sure what he was doing. The next call I got he was across town getting them installed. He was glad he did. The guy told him to measure the height of the truck before hooking up and then put enough air in them to come back to that height. The airlines were ran to the license plate so it had easy access to put air in and out. He hasn't hooked up yet, but we are going out this weekend camping so I will have to gauge his reaction.