Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2009, 06:18 PM   #1
linebiker

low amp led interior lighting

Looking for ways to extend battery life I found you can get LED replacement bulbs to fit existing standard fixtures. Could not find any specs on light output to compare so I picked up a couple of LED's from the web.

Replaced the 921 push in bulbs in one of my two bulb fixtures, I am sure the amp draw decreased.... but in direct proportion to the light output! Will keep these in bathroom as mine is small used only for business, no primping.

Note, LED's many times have a bluish hue, as this bulb setup did.

Will look for a fixture that is made for LED lamps. Retrofitting creates a compromise.

08 Raptor 299
06 Dodge 3500 Cummins Lone Star
B&W Companion 5th
linebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:40 AM   #2
HermitKrab

I found these fixtures with the LED included the other day.
Thinking about buying 1 to see if I like it.

http://www.tweetys.com/double-dome-w...light-kit.aspx
Old 11-03-2009, 12:11 PM   #3
linebiker

Looks like that setup could work, retro bulbs I used projected light left and right rather that down.

08 Raptor 299
06 Dodge 3500 Cummins Lone Star
B&W Companion 5th
linebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:24 PM   #4
Flyguy

Here's a link that I have found for replacement 921 bulbs in LED's http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...ED-xHP10-D.htm the warm white option should be closer to the yellowish light that we would expect. The 6 and the 10 panel bulbs face down or from the side so the light is directed downward. A single 921 bulb puts out 264 lumens of light and consumes 1.4 amps of current, compare this to whatever the led's lumen and current rating is to see how much a reduction in light you will have, (ain't no free lunch in life, if your getting something extra your giving something up to pay for it!!).
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:44 AM   #5
antiqfreq

HermitKrab,

Let me know how this fixture works for you.

We'd like to change a few in our fiver!!

Prefer whitish light, rather than bluish!

But definitely want to save battery life as we like to dry camp.....

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:50 PM   #6
Bowline

Check out Sensibulbs LED lighting

Two years ago I retrofitted the high-draw 12 volt dome lights on my sailboat with high efficiency LEDs with a warm color temperature. I plan to do the same for my new Cougar 27RLS trailer. I purchased my lights from Sailor's Solutions www.sailorssolutions.com My boat's cabin is brightly illuminated with only three of these bulbs, and with all of them on, they draw less then one amp per hour!! They are not cheap - $39.95 each; however, they have allowed me to go for several days without the need for a battery recharge when we are cruising.

By replacing only three of my incandescents with Sensibulbs, I will greatly extend the time I can dry camp my trailer. I will need to solder in new sockets to accommodate the Sensibulbs.
Bowline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:24 AM   #7
bennydog

There is a long thread over on the RV.net forum about this topic as well.
Some have tested the retrofit from this outfit. The ceiling lights are near the end of the LED page. If you click the link on their site it will take you to the RV.net posting which include before and after photos. Again kind of spendy but from the photos a huge improvement.
http://www.commandelectronics.com/

2010 Cougar 24RKS
2012 Dodge RAM 2500
6.7 Turbo
bennydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:59 PM   #8
hoffbrew

I own a lighting distribution center her in California, I will check, again, into the LED replacements. When these LED's first came out they where terrible. Very directional, as in light goes the way the bulb is facing. Let me know some of your bulb numbers that you are looking for and I will see if any specs have changed and I could probably get some samples for us to try out.
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
(Reserved for new trailer)
hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:31 AM   #9
Flyguy

many of the overhead lights use the 921 bulb.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:32 PM   #10
ColeNight

Hi Bowline,

I also sail (MacGregor 26X). What kind of sailboat do you have and where do you sail?

Cole
Old 12-26-2009, 08:54 AM   #11
Bowline

Sailboat

Hi ColeNight,

I sail a 1997 Hunter 26 water ballasted boat. My wife and I have cruised extensively in the San Juan Islands of Washington State, and the Gulf Islands of British Columbia. Year before last, we sailed for 30 days and visited 23 ports of call. All told, we sailed over 300 nautical miles. This past summer, we sailed for 3 weeks and covered 125 miles. Using our solar system alone, we were able to anchor out for 4 days at a time without recharging our 2 group 24 batteries.

The boat is really comfortable and performs well in winds to 30 kts. It weighs 3000 lbs. dry, and 5000 with the water ballast tank filled. Compared to our Cougar trailer, it is primitive with its porta-potty, ice box and 2 burner alcohol stove.

If you are interested, I have an old blog that contains many pictures and a narrative of our trip two years ago. You can access it at http://www.sailingthesanjuanswithdon...a.blogspot.com
Old 12-27-2009, 08:35 AM   #12
hoffbrew

I have the 921-LED's coming in, I will let you know when I get them.
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
(Reserved for new trailer)
hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:59 PM   #13
DLP

Led Replacements

I changed out all of my quartz lites as I have 24 of them in my coach and at 10 amps each it was a heck of a draw. These are the G4 pin base and when I started checking on the web, I kept finding full round fixtures that were quite expensive. At $20-$30 times 24, it was going to be outrageous. I found some led replacements that are round with 12 leds in them and have the pin base and fit into my ceiling fixtures. They are warm whites (G4 12SMD-Side Pin, 12v). I tried the cool whites but they were too blue. The regular warm whites were great. I found them for $9.00 a piece and put them in. They've been really great........light output is the same as the other bulbs, plus mamps each.

I found some replacements for the 921's, but haven't found any with enough lite output yet. I saw some on line that were a small square with the 921's bayonet and T15 base but now can't find the site.

This is one of about four sites that I found...........just have to look around for the right price. Sometimes going to ebay and the likes also helps with these. http://www.ledlight.com/
Old 03-08-2010, 02:32 PM   #14
rver

Just joined this site. We have an '08 34 SAQ Challenger. Spent the month of Jan. '10 boondocking north of Yuma. We purchased 10 led's at the big market in Yuma. They were about $15 ea. They really do drop the aps use. We purchased two types; 90 and 120 degree angle output, with 32 leds each. We used the 90 over our chairs for reading and the 120's for general lighting. These came with velco attachments to use inside the fixtures.
rver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:54 AM   #15
Bowline

Sailing a Hunter 26

Hi ColeNight,

I sail a 1997 Hunter 26 water ballasted sailboat. It is nicely equipped with shore power, a Garmin 492 chartplotter, solar power, and an LED interior lighting system. My wife and I have cruised extensively in the San Juan Islands of Washington, and the Gulf Islands of British Columbia. Most of the time we anchor in sheltered coves and dinghy ashore to hike, go to the store, etc. The price is right, as anchoring out is free! Every few nights, we dock at a marina to recharge the batteries, refill the water tanks and dump the sewage. Marinas cost about the same as an RV park with hookups.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8-22-2009 Sailboat bimini 002.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	69