Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
larrym

3750FL MorRyde Pin Box bed rail clearance

Reading forums I see some folks having issues with their MorRyde pin boxes hitting the bed rails on sharp turns. I can't find dimensions (from pin center to the rear of the box) on these pin boxes and don't even know if mine will be an "extended" box or what.

Anyone able to tell me if I'll have a problem or not? GM 6.6L, Pullrite 18K Superglide with the 3 inch lift kit, and the hitch plate is 2 1/2" below the bed rails when leveled, bed is 5' 3" wide (inside).

Thanks, Larry
Banks SpeedBrake w/IQ
18K Superglide
RideRites & Pump
8-71 Blown '68 Nova SS
21' Interceptor 212BR
'23 T-Bucket, Tunnel Ram 427 BBC

https://banners.wunderground.com/weat...t=40 width=467
larrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
CarKath

You should be ok for clearance and turning. You suggest sharp turns are an issue, I suggest be aware of your surroundings. I have personally never come across an issue where I need to turn "too sharp". It is more about the situations you could put yourself in. Think ahead and you should be fine.

BTW, I suspect you are way over weight with that trailer and TV combo. I personally think that is your bigger issue. ( sorry for taking thread that way)
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
larrym

Why do you say that about being overweight? Researching your TV, mine being the 6.6 Duramax HD, we both have similar or the same tow and axle ratings, (I assume, without knowing your bed length and drive configuration), same motor, trans and driveline, suspension, etc; your 3450RL has exactly the same pin weight as my 3750, and shipping weights are less than 200 pounds difference. I assume you're "way over weight" with your combo as well?

The turning issue I have concerns about weren't related not paying attention, or not being aware of my surroundings! I have over 45 years RVing experience, TT's, 2 - 40' motor homes, however, I have never had the opportunity to pull a 5er until now.

My question is regarding clearance at the bed rail and the length of that particular pin box, in the event I needed to cut sharply backing, intentionally.

Thanks for the reply.
Banks SpeedBrake w/IQ
18K Superglide
RideRites & Pump
8-71 Blown '68 Nova SS
21' Interceptor 212BR

Old 02-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
CarKath

I personally don't see clearance as an issue. By design if nothing else.

The weight issue comes from this. I wanted that unit.

My 2011 2500 could not handle it. Pin weight is way over.Check keystones site, in weight is posted there. Front living room is very heavy pin weight. (sorry) It takes a 1 ton to haul.

My 2011 has a way higher rating than a 2009 2500 as well. Simple math without even knowing your exact truck and capacities, I know you will be over weight.

I apologize if I have offended you. I am just stating personal experience and something I researched to death before I bought my current unit.

Good luck. and do enjoy your new unit, I am jealous and wish I had one of those.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
Paddler

Hi Larry,
I have a 3400RL with the Morryde pin box and I did scar up the trucks plastic top rail, by turning to tight while backing the trailer up a slight incline. I don't know how the 3" lift kit is going to effect your towing and turning capabilities. I suspect the lift will not work in your favor.

I highly recommend you check the max payload label located on the driver's door or door frame. My old 07 GMC Sierra 2500HD D/A only had a payload capacity of 2650. I was probably towing 800-1000 lbs overloaded. Thus my new 3500 dually.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #6
larrym

Hey Carl, perhaps I was a little think skinned when I looked up the specs. I just did again and see the pin weight for a 2012 Alpine 3450RL is 2240, shipping weight 12,314. http://www.keystone-alpine.com/index...=&model=3450RL

Looking at the 3750FL, Keystone lists pin weight at 2240, shipping weight at 12,522. http://www.keystone-montana.com/inde...=&model=3750FL

That's were I was coming from, I only list the URL's so you can see what I was referencing. I've had my truck on the CAT scale recently, and anxious to weigh hooked up. I don't put much faith in Keystones data at this point. No hard feelings, I was just taken aback by that comment after looking at Keystones data.

Thanks for the reply, I got a call from the dealer this evening in Prescott that the unit was enroute, allowing for the foul weather through Colorado, I am taking delivery on the 14th, leaving Texas on the 12th.

Paddler, I don't think the lift kit, which is raising the entire hitch only 3 inches, will impact anything, other than possibly level towing, if that. But, not knowing for sure, I can't say. My official CAT axle weights last week were steer axle 4,280, drive axle 2860, gross 7,140, with me in it, and a full tank.

Thanks, Larry
Banks SpeedBrake w/IQ
18K Superglide
RideRites & Pump
8-71 Blown '68 Nova SS
21' Interceptor 212BR

Old 02-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
CarKath

It appears Keystone has changed published specs. They never used to be equal.

A 2009 chev is not rated the same as a 2011. 2011 2500 is closer to a 1 ton and hauls more than in some cases.

I am sorry, you are going to be over.

I do hope you enjoy your new trailer.

I look forward to your post with scale weights.