Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
rburckhart

Slow Shower Drains in '07 Cougar

We just purchased a used '07 Cougar 292RKS 5th wheel. We really like it so far except the fact that the shower drains really slowly. I've determined it's not clogged (nor is the vent pipe), it just seems poor design in that it doesn't get enough air to aid in the draining process. Anyone else had similar problems, and hopefully any solutions? Thanks...Dick
rburckhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

We have an "08 Cougar 27rks 5th and haven't noticed a similar problem. Hankpage has a Cougar which is almost identical to yours and hopefully he will chime in and pass on his experience - in the shower. Excuse me, with the shower. Over to you, Hank.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Sorry I didn't get right back to you .... I was in the shower when you called. Seriously, We do have similar floorplans, but my shower drains fine. If you say your vent is clear I would suspect that there may not be enough pitch (if any) on the drain line from the shower across the width of the trailer to the pipe going down to the gray tank from the lavatory sink. If trailer is not level it can even be a negative pitch. I think they were more concerned with space in storage than plumbing ... even the two 45s in the gravity toilet waste pipe is a poor design, plumbing wise. Have you tried showering with the gray water dump valve open .... this would confirm that your vent is clear if no change. (of course with sewer hook-up) In some cases you can shorten the tail piece from the shower to increase pitch. Lowering the other end could be very involved but would work also. I have also heard of some vent pipes being too long into the tank and not working once the water level reaches the bottom of the vent before the tank is full. ..... Yes, I am rambling on but there could be many reasons and I am trying to cover all. Hope this helps, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
rburckhart

Tried all I knew to do...

Hank,

Thanks for your reply! What I did first was to check for hair, etc at the shower drain, then I opened the main drain valve and the gray water valve and flushed water (with a hose) down through the shower drain - there didn't seem to be any resistance - the water drained out the sewer hose freely. Then I went up on the roof and removed the vent cap, and with both the valves still open, I flushed water down through the vent pipe into the holding tank - same outcome - no resistance and the water flowed out the sewer hose OK.

And yes, since we do have sewer hookups here, I do leave the gray water valve open, and it does reasonably well. It seems like the shower drain itself is a size smaller than the one we had in our Forest River, which would slow it down too. I'll look at the pitch in the drain line in the basement soon; it's just a loooong way over to where it dumps into the tank!

Got another question for you: from the picture of you rig, your awning looks to be about the same length as mine (20'). Do you have a support in the middle of your awning tube? I notice I have a slight sag across the rolled up awning, and a neighbor here at the park said an awning guy told him over 18' you needed a center support. Good "talking" with you...Dick
rburckhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:29 PM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Dick, It seems to me that you covered everything on the shower drain very well. As you said the drain across the width of the trailer is very long and too far from the vent. I only camp with full hookups and leave my gray valve open when showering so I have not noticed a problem.
As for the awning, I do get a slight bow in the tube but not to the point that I would be concerned about adding a center support. Although I do have to keep the front end high and tight to clear the door. Maybe when it is time for a replacement I might consider a center post. Enjoy your Cougar, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote