Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 04:31 AM   #41
RGRTim

I have been in every state in the lower 48 either tent camping, rv or in a big truck. I have spent the night in hundreds of rest areas and truck stops and have never had a problem. That being said, I don't get complacent, I pay attention to my surroundings and my gut and exit the area if either doesn't feel right. Furthermore I am at that age where I am too old to take a beating and too young to die and therefore I have my little friend with me everywhere I go. Safe travels.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:07 PM   #42
mespro

I had an incident

I had an incident 30 years ago at a state campground between Albuquerque and Santa Fe at Cochitee Lake. The campground was gated and the gate had a keeper during the daylite hours to take the fees ( $ 2.00 back then.)
My two boys and I fished all day and my wife stayed at the camper all day setting around reading in a lawn chair.

That night about Midnight I heard a car idleing and looked out the window. I could see the license plate and it was a custom plate had "00" with the quotation marks. No one was in the car the park spaces were pretty isolated with not to many people there. I grabbed my 357 S&W at about the same time someone jerked on the door pretty hard twice. I told my wife and boys to get on the floor and I yelled as load as I could , " I HAVE A GUN AND I WILL SHOOT YOU IF THAT DOOR COMES OPEN" It immediatly sounded like a heard of elephants stampeding toward their car and they roared off.

The next day I told the gate keeper what happened, she said she new of the car with the "00" plates and she would report it to authoritys. We were on vacation and didn't hang want to hang around all day waiting on that. Back then they didn't have 911. Never heard what happened or from them. We probably should have taken the time to follow through to maybe prevent it from happing to some on else but were in a hurry and depended on the gate keeper to follow through.
My guess is the perps road around and spied my wife earlier and thought she was alone.

I sure felt better that I had the gun for protection instead of a plastic screen door. I don't leave home with out the 45 to this day. I owe it to my family!!
Old 06-26-2014, 02:40 AM   #43
flybouy
Site Team

I don't anticipate a fire, take all reasonable precautions to prevent one, but I can't control what someone else, or nature may do. Therefore I have fire extinguishers in the home, camper, and vehicles. I don't anticipate an injury but keep a well stocked first aid kit in the same areas as the extinguishers. I use the same logic in protecting my personal safety and my families safety.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:08 AM   #44
So Cal CPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I don't anticipate a fire, take all reasonable precautions to prevent one, but I can't control what someone else, or nature may do. Therefore I have fire extinguishers in the home, camper, and vehicles. I don't anticipate an injury but keep a well stocked first aid kit in the same areas as the extinguishers. I use the same logic in protecting my personal safety and my families safety.
As a former boy scout - I agree. Be prepared.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:51 AM   #45
hankpage
Site Team

I can feel our members from above our northern border flinch every time a new post comes to this thread. The main thing here is to be safe and obey the laws in the areas we travel. Most states have some form of "Castle Doctrine" which includes your trailer as if it were your home ... but on the other hand most do not consider your TV or a tent as part of it. Even in states that allow you to have a firearm in your trailer there may be restrictions or bans in state parks or public events. The use, possession or brandishing of a firearm in some areas may be punishable with sentencing harsher than that of your offender.
... Bottom Line, Respect and obey the laws in the areas that you travel, Know the alternatives for protection of your family and if you don't agree with the rules in some areas, avoid them and spend your money elsewhere.
So far, this thread has done a pretty good job of not becoming political and I, as (one) moderator, would like to thank the membership for that. Travel safely, Hank
Old 06-26-2014, 10:21 AM   #46
Festus2
Site Team

[QUOTE=hankpage;133205]I can feel our members from above our northern border flinch every time a new post comes to this thread.
So far, this thread has done a pretty good job of not becoming political and I, as (one) moderator, would like to thank the membership for that. Travel safely, Hank[/QUOTE

hankpage -
Not flinching just twitching a bit ....
Yes, a "Thank you" from one of your neighbours to the north for keeping the politics out of the discussion. "Good on ya!" (or y'all or ???)

Kristi - I am trying really hard to get it right.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:49 AM   #47
outwest

A few years ago was traveling with elderly mother and stopped at a rest stop on I-39 in Illinois for lunch, bathroom, and a little rest/stretch. We weren't parked for long before some trash knocked on our trailer door trying to lure us out. I could see through the window that it was some scum at the door, but she opened the door and was heading out of the trailer before I could get the pistol out *sigh* He was claiming to be with the rest stop, but you could tell from looking at him that he wasn't, that he was simply up to no good.

I got her corralled and back in the trailer before anything happened, luckily. Since I was now out in the parking lot, I checked it out and saw that him and his group of thugs were hiding behind an unsuspecting trucker's rig and running a game of three card monty out in the parking lot and were going vehicle to vehicle looking for marks. (for safety, I dont carry any more than a few dollars in cash on my person nor wear any jewelry when traveling -- been conscious of that ever since was mugged back when I was a teen) I rang up the state troopers and alerted them to it. Of course, by the time a car arrived, they were gone. At the next fuel stop ran into a truck driver that had had the same thug banging on his cab door. That trucker said he had reached down to his pistol and was wondering if he was going to have to use it.

Anyway, point of the story is that even in broad daylight at a large, busy rest stop, things can happen and you should always watch your back.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
Old 06-26-2014, 11:21 AM   #48
filmtex
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
Do your homework and find out which states have reciprocity wit yours. I don't go to states that don't allow me to carry.Truck stops, roadside parks, rest stops, you don't know who is there or what their intentions are.

Also check on the Castle Doctrine for the places you are going. Many states have passed this and it considers your vehicle a part of your home and you are allowed to have a firearm on you or in your truck provided you don't step outside in it.
You can also carry concealed in the National Parks in states that have recognize your state's CCW laws. It doesn't take much to be safe. I only carry a .45 because no one makes .46.

Actually unless I was going to a state that really gets stupid about it,like New York, Kakifornia, or Illinois, I would have one in the camper anyway. Unless there's an incident no one is going to look for a firearm, and if there is, I would rather be able to explain it to 12 people rather be carried away in a body bag.
I'm with Bob. All the way!
Old 06-26-2014, 12:12 PM   #49
austinp

As a retired LEO from California I am CCW about 95% of the time. The other 5% is taken up by showering. I usually have a 45 on me and another where I can get to easily. I was a SWAT operator and have always gone by the adage, one is none and 2 is one.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:29 PM   #50
Randy_K

So what you are all saying is that its not safe for anyone < Canadians> who don't carry a gun and aren't willing to kill someone ?

2010 Ford F150 Screw, E rated tires and Air Lift
2013 Passport Elite 23RB
https://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps749334ca.jpg
Old 06-26-2014, 01:42 PM   #51
Festus2
Site Team

Randy -
I really don't think that is what is being said and I was really hoping that all members, Canadians included, would refrain from making any comments that have the potential of turning this thread into a political discussion about carrying guns and gun laws. As I said earlier, this forum is not the place for those discussions and debates to take place. There are other more suitable places for these kinds of discussions to take place - this forum is not one of those.

We are here to talk about RVing. The topic of this thread is "dangers from assault and robbery while on the road." Guns are bound to come into the discussion which is acceptable as long as the posts do not turn into a debate about guns and the pros and cons of carrying them.

I understand where you are coming from but your comment is going to provoke others who do not share your point of view into steering the thread into a place where we won't be going.

So, once again, let's keep the politics and morals out of the equation and try to focus on the topic. If that cannot be accomplished, the alternative is to close the thread.

Thank you all for your anticipated co-operation.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:43 PM   #52
Luckybuck55

be safe if have a cwp by all means protect your self just like you are at home don't go to states you can't carry and you won't have any problem with law!
Old 06-26-2014, 01:54 PM   #53
Randy_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckybuck55 View Post
don't go to states you can't carry!
A lot of people cant / wont carry. It's a shame that apparently you need too in the USA.

I have been planning on spending 6 months of the year in the USA after I retire. This thread defiantly has me thinking that is not a very smart thing to do.

I'm not complaining about those who carry, just not something most Canadians do. Part of that may be just the laws and what we are used to.

2010 Ford F150 Screw, E rated tires and Air Lift
2013 Passport Elite 23RB
https://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps749334ca.jpg
Old 06-26-2014, 02:00 PM   #54
Festus2
Site Team

[QUOTE=Festus2;133212]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
I can feel our members from above our northern border flinch every time a new post comes to this thread.
So far, this thread has done a pretty good job of not becoming political and I, as (one) moderator, would like to thank the membership for that. Travel safely, Hank[/QUOTE

hankpage -
Not flinching just twitching a bit ....
Yes, a "Thank you" from one of your neighbours to the north for keeping the politics out of the discussion. :
Mmmmm -Looks like we may have been prematurely optimistic.
Still hoping cooler heads will prevail.

On a similar note .... I just went back to the beginning of this thread to see if the OP has been a part of this rather lengthy and sometimes controversial discussion. Wouldn't you know that he has not been seen or heard from since he started this thread...makes you wonder doesn't it??
Old 06-26-2014, 02:58 PM   #55
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_K View Post
So what you are all saying is that its not safe for anyone < Canadians> who don't carry a gun and aren't willing to kill someone ?
Randy, I think that what most are saying is that they would use any means necessary to protect their loved ones from harm. Whether it is with a bat, a broom handle or anything else at hand. The laws in our countries and even in different states will justify what means you can legally use. In my home state even retired law officers must prove a need to carry a concealed weapon and not many of these permits are granted.
I agree 100% with the US 2nd amendment but on this forum we all have agreed the Forums 1rst (rule) amendment and that states that political or religious discussions will not be tolerated.
I think we all have to step back, take a deep breath or close this thread.
Moderators with opinions on both sides of this issue agree completely that this is the only way to keep our forum at the family level we have enjoyed to this point. I hope we all understand the need for these rules, Hank
Old 06-26-2014, 04:56 PM   #56
austinp

The US is as safe if not safer than many countries. Just as anywhere else there bad elements. Just be aware of your surroundings. 90% of folks are good law abiding people.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:18 PM   #57
Steve S

Why go camping if you have to carry a gun and be paranoid about being robbed or jacked? Wouldn't it be easier to stay at home, arm yourself, install steal barriers on your doors and windows as it's the American way? lol!
My parents are 80 and I never ever worry about their safety when they hook up and leave for weeks while traveling through Canada.
Being afraid and on edge with a gun under my pillow just isn't my idea of a stress free vacation.
I miss traveling in the States as it's such a nice country but I haven't been down there in a few years because of what I see on the news and hear from friends that travel there.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:36 PM   #58
SAD
Permanent User Ban

I have a fire extinguisher in my RV.

I have seat belts in my vehicles.

I have smoke detectors.

I back up my hard drive.

I have insurance of all kinds.

I even have a horn!!

Old 06-26-2014, 05:59 PM   #59
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
I have a fire extinguisher in my RV.

I have seat belts in my vehicles.

I have smoke detectors.

I back up my hard drive.

I have insurance of all kinds.

I even have a horn!!

Damn, I've never had to use my horn ever! Going to see if it works now
Old 06-26-2014, 07:36 PM   #60
hankpage
Site Team

Closing this thread

This thread has been kicked around for over a year now. Since he has never replied I would imagine the OP has received the answer he was looking for.
Seeing as the posts are no longer about RVing and seem to be causing friction between our normally friendly membership, I am closing this thread. I think we all know that this is not the place for what boils down to a political discussion. .... Hank (Moderator)
Closed Thread