Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2011, 05:23 PM   #21
Handysam

Make sure you do the pre turbo. If you go to the different dodge diesel forums there are some great tips and instructions with pics. Let me know how it goes. Sam
Old 04-07-2011, 04:08 AM   #22
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenn209 View Post
Just explain to her how expensive it is to replace the tranny! Turbo, etc. lol What else? Not sure why the kit I'm buying has boost. Wouldn't fuel pressure be better to watch than boost? Just asking cause I have no idea... So it has tranny temp, pryo and boost. A little nervouse about drilling and tapping for the sending unit pre-turbo.

Thanks
Ken,
Here are two links on how to install the EGT probe from Diesel Truck Resource. You do not need to be a member to see the pictures, like some other forums require. The first thread does not have pictures but it concerns a 5.9L engine. The second thread has a photo on page two, but it is the 6.7L engine.

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...drilling+turbo

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...drilling+turbo

I feel that a Fuel pressure gage is required if you are making big power and pumping more fuel then stock, that is required with over size injectors. Or if you have a first gen or second gen truck that is stock. The fuel pump in the tank on these trucks have had issues delivering fuel. To the different style fuel pumps on the engine that Dodge has offered on those model of trucks.
On the third gen trucks especially after 05, the stock fuel pump in the fuel tank has been very reliable in deliver of fuel to the CP3 engine mounted fuel pump. So to me a fuel pressure gage is a nice thing to have but not necessary with your truck
Just my $0.02
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:17 AM   #23
kenn209

Thanks Jim, Just wanting to make sure I get the right gauges. Tranny temp is mandatory as well as pyro. Not sure if I need the boost gauge, could just stick with the 2 gauge pod
kenn209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:24 AM   #24
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Thanks Jim, Just wanting to make sure I get the right gauges. Tranny temp is mandatory as well as pyro. Not sure if I need the boost gauge, could just stick with the 2 gauge pod
I think boost is a good to have. Not as important as pyro, but still good to keep an eye on.

My gauge reads the boost from the OBD port, which is not the best but I'm not making much extra power and am not more more than stock boost so it's fine. If you are modding, you want a real boost gauge that measures manifold pressure directly, not from the computer.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:35 AM   #25
Jim W

The reason for the BOOST Gage is, so you do not lift your cylinder heads when pulling a heavy load and going up hill on a long 7% grade. As the truck is working hard to pull this load up the hill.
I have a programmer on my truck a "Smarty S67ME", and I am running about 60 HP over stock. I watch my BOOST all the time to make sure I do not build over 30PSI in BOOST pressure. This way I ensure that I do not lift the cylinder head and fail the head gasket. Do to high boost pressure that is pushing air into the cyliders. Even on a level road when starting from a stop I am up near 30PSI and then drop down to 15 or 20 PSI in BOOST pressure as I move down the road.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:52 AM   #26
kenn209

Quote:
Just explain to her how expensive it is to replace the tranny! Turbo, etc. lol What else? Not sure why the kit I'm buying has boost. Wouldn't fuel pressure be better to watch than boost? Just asking cause I have no idea... So it has tranny temp, pryo and boost. A little nervouse about drilling and tapping for the sending unit pre-turbo.

Thanks
What about a Edge CTD monitor? I still have to drill and tap the pyro, but everything else comes from the OBDII port. Anyone running one of these?
kenn209 is offline   Reply With Quote