Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
wapinord

storage for Rhino Flex

I'm wondering what RV owners have done to store the Rhino flex sewer hose? I would like to keep adapters on, in doing so I can't put it in the bumper even in the E-Z Hose Carrier.
wapinord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
f6bits

Rubbermaid tub. It’s where I keep all my sewer gear.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdayman View Post
+1 It's the only way to really protect the hose.

I use the lid of the tub to keep the hose off the concrete pad around the dump station. Concrete is just as abrasive as coarse sandpaper and will wear holes in your expensive sewer hose real fast.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
therink

I store mine in a 4" pvc pipe I made that is strapped to the belly. I put solid cap on one end and threaded plug on access end. I had to trim the ears off of the Rhino end fittings to slide in the pipe but no big deal. I find this much better than storing in and rotting out the bumper tube. I drilled holes in the pvc so it drains.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
fla-gypsy

Plastic bin that goes in the exterior storage area
Old 05-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #6
cathcartww

I have seen others use the PVC plastic fence posts - they come in 5" size - and can be hung on the frame or under the bumper somewhere.

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #7
Klosequarters

Smile

I just completed the installation of my solution. I bought a 5" sq. by 8' lg. PVC fence post and two end caps at Home Depot. Here is the drill:

* Cut the flange off one side of each of the end caps and about another 3/8" of the face leaving two side tabs extending.
* Cut off a few inches of the post so it just b eacharely extends about an 1" over end of the bumper.
* put the end caps on and put a pop rivet in each of the tabs to act as a hinge for tilting the end caps down.
* flip the post so the side that comes in contact with the bumper is up and come 10" in and drill two 5/16" holes at each end.
* flip the post back in position on the bumper, take a marker pen and reach inside and stick it in the drilled holes to mark the bumper for drilling.
* drill the four 5/16" holes in the bumper where marked and file any rough edges
* insert 1/4 X 3/4" machine bolts with flat washers in the PVC post down into the bumper and use lock washers and nuts inside the bumper. (a short screwdriver and ratchet style wrench worked great to tighten things down.
* I find the friction of the pop rivets and the end caps is adequate to keep them closed, but you may want to use a small bungie cord tied through a couple holes on each end for safety sake

I am very happy with this and it gets the Rhino Flex hose, fittings and tub out of the storage compartment. I would send you a picture but it is dark here and we are leaving in the morning for a 6 day trip to Rocky Mountain NP.

Hope you find this helpful.
2011 F350 Diesel 4WD Lariat
Klosequarters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #8
Laredo291OH

My rhino flex fits right into the rear bumper. Just have to make sure the tabs are in the corners. I added the hinged bumper caps that use a couple of small screws to hold them on, so far thru 3 short trips they work fine. I also keep the caps on the ends of the stink pipe that came with the rhinoflex. Keep them in the bumper while campin so they are right there when I put it away.
Laredo291OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:12 PM   #9
golfpro

I though or do think the 90 end comes apart and will fit in the rear bumper
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #10
fred1609

pictures....I have been thinking the rear bumper isnt the best way to store the hose....I like what you folks have written but pictures are so much easier to understand...thx
fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:17 AM   #11
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdayman View Post
this ^^^^^
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:54 AM   #12
johnnyrose

5 gallon bucket

I use a five gallon bucket. This serves a double purpose for me. I can store the hose in it with all attachments left in place with no issue and the lid keeps everything contained. Also I use the bucket to take an exact amount of five gallons into the toilet to flush the system and then leave exactly five gallons in there once I am all done to keep the tank fresh along with my deoderizer tablet. It is a win-win!!!

Johnny and Kelley Rose + 4 kids and 2 dogs!
2005 Cougar 254 EFS (Whispering eye)
2005 Ford F-250 Lariat Supercab 6.0L Diesel
johnnyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:53 AM   #13
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo291OH View Post
My rhino flex fits right into the rear bumper. Just have to make sure the tabs are in the corners. I added the hinged bumper caps that use a couple of small screws to hold them on, so far thru 3 short trips they work fine. I also keep the caps on the ends of the stink pipe that came with the rhinoflex. Keep them in the bumper while campin so they are right there when I put it away.
Check the inside of that bumper. I'll bet it's unpainted and rusty. Rust is just as abrasive as sand paper. That's why so many of us no longer keep the hose in the bumper.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #14
wapinord

Thank you every one for your answer.
wapinord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #15
Egnilk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
this ^^^^^
This is a good idea...IF you have exterior storage for it. I don't care how clean it gets, I don't want the poop pipe inside.

I would love to see photos of the 5" PVC under-the-bumper-sewer hose-stumper...
Old 06-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #16
Egnilk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klosequarters View Post
I just completed the installation of my solution. I bought a 5" sq. by 8' lg. PVC fence post and two end caps at Home Depot. Here is the drill:

* Cut the flange off one side of each of the end caps and about another 3/8" of the face leaving two side tabs extending.
* Cut off a few inches of the post so it just b eacharely extends about an 1" over end of the bumper.
* put the end caps on and put a pop rivet in each of the tabs to act as a hinge for tilting the end caps down.
* flip the post so the side that comes in contact with the bumper is up and come 10" in and drill two 5/16" holes at each end.
* flip the post back in position on the bumper, take a marker pen and reach inside and stick it in the drilled holes to mark the bumper for drilling.
* drill the four 5/16" holes in the bumper where marked and file any rough edges
* insert 1/4 X 3/4" machine bolts with flat washers in the PVC post down into the bumper and use lock washers and nuts inside the bumper. (a short screwdriver and ratchet style wrench worked great to tighten things down.
* I find the friction of the pop rivets and the end caps is adequate to keep them closed, but you may want to use a small bungie cord tied through a couple holes on each end for safety sake

I am very happy with this and it gets the Rhino Flex hose, fittings and tub out of the storage compartment. I would send you a picture but it is dark here and we are leaving in the morning for a 6 day trip to Rocky Mountain NP.

Hope you find this helpful.
Any way you can post a couple pics? I would appreciate it!
Old 06-28-2012, 01:57 AM   #17
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egnilk66 View Post
This is a good idea...IF you have exterior storage for it. I don't care how clean it gets, I don't want the poop pipe inside. ...
We don't keep any poop in the bin. Just the hose
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:52 AM   #18
rjsurfer

I join the others that have said the bumper is not the place to store you sewer hose. Way too rough on the inside of the bumper, will eventually wear out the hose where it contacts the walls.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:54 AM   #19
Egnilk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
We don't keep any poop in the bin. Just the hose
hahahah Yeah, I know you don't MEAN to keep poop in there. But, poop has a way of making things smell of it even after being rinsed. Finger ever go through the paper? You can wash the sh*t outta that finger and it'll STILL smell!

Old 06-28-2012, 06:34 AM   #20
sandy43

Look in Mod's & Upgrades. Pictures and explanation about storage of sewer hose.

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote