Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2011, 05:41 AM   #1
DTJ9610

Ceiling condensation

I noticed a spot of condensation next to my AC unit. I also felt along the side and it was damp. Is this normal? The unit has been running quite a bit this week.

Previous Trailers
2011 Jayco 17z

Previous Tows
2007 Toyota Sienna
2008 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7L V8 4x4
DTJ9610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:57 AM   #2
therink

It is possible the condensate water is not all draining to the outside. Remove the ceiling cover (4 screws) and you should see 4 bolts that secure the ac unit to the roof. These may be loose allowing water to get past the compression seal on the roof. If they are loose, tighten them evenly but do not overtighten. It could be that the seal is bad as well.
Another thought is that the condensation you are experiencing if small may just be due to extreme humidity.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:43 AM   #3
rjsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
It is possible the condensate water is not all draining to the outside. Remove the ceiling cover (4 screws) and you should see 4 bolts that secure the ac unit to the roof. These may be loose allowing water to get past the compression seal on the roof. If they are loose, tighten them evenly but do not overtighten. It could be that the seal is bad as well.
Another thought is that the condensation you are experiencing if small may just be due to extreme humidity.
Steve
+1 on the 4 hold down bolts being loose.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:48 AM   #4
Bob Landry

Along with the above suggestions, drop the Chill Grill and inspect all of the taping in the plenum area. Several of us have found sloppy tape jobs that allow cold air to be forced into the ceiling areas instead of the duct like it should. While you are doing that, it's a good time to remove the ceiling grills and make sure the duct is adequately taped to the register. That's also a source of lost cold air and condensation possibilities.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote