Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2017, 05:53 PM   #21
66joej

I have the Tonno Pro rollup. Works great for me. But as mentioned above you have to be careful in the extreme cold. It does become a bit stiff and hard to roll and reattach the velcro. Price was right.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:56 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrySharon View Post
I have not experienced any issues... I couldn't afford the better aluminum rollups. .
A few people I know around here have the "hinged aluminum rollup" covers, the kind that roll up into a box under the front of the cover. In the winter, with ice and snow, you have to clean the cover before you can open it. Much worse than that, one friend rolled his up one evening, it froze in the box and when he tried to unroll it the following week (yup, he left his bed open during a blizzard) it had frozen into the box and he couldn't get it to come out of the box until he removed the tonneau from his truck, took it into the house and thawed it out.

I suppose there's advantages and disadvantages (that go beyond cost) with any style, so it pretty much depends on what you're trying to do and what you can afford. Thankfully, there's a lot of choices so everyone can find something that fits their needs.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 06:15 PM   #23
Tbos

Thanks everyone. The truck gets spray in Bed liner tomorrow. After that I will be making my purchase. Currently leaning towards the Access Vanish low profile. Haven't fully made up my mind. There are a lot to choose from in that price range. I've had the Undercover Flex on 3 previous trucks but don't want to spend that much this time. I appreciate everyone's suggestions. Thanks.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:17 PM   #24
gearhead

Access original is what I have, I think. I was concerned that the handle on my Curt hitch is higher than my truck bed side rails and the low profile wouldn't clear.
Only issue I've had is the hold down latches they use. They are advertised as "no drill" and the hold downs would let go just when I thought they needed a bit more tightening. I drilled 4 holes ( 1/4" ) for each side rail and bolted them on.
I had the aluminum roll up on the previous Ford and had a scare on the Montana maiden voyage. About 10 miles from home, and at 65mph, I heard a very loud pop. Oh no I knew I should have replaced those China Bombs very first thing. Pulled over and looked around. Nothing. Looked and looked and finally looked under the truck. What the heck is that? It's the bed cover pull strap wrapped around the driveshaft! The strap had gotten between the cab and the bed and found the driveshaft. Different aerodynamics on the Montana than the Cougar XLite. So think about securing that pull strap somewhere if you have a roll-up cover.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:12 AM   #25
pawpaw

I had the BakFlip VP tri fold on my '13 F-150 I traded in. I took it off and gave it to one of my son in laws for his '13 F-150. Cover was 3 yrs old and still looks brand new. After I get my hitch installed I'll probably start looking for a cover to protect the hitch but the nice ones are expensive for the 8 ft beds. I also had a Pace Edwards Jackrabbit on a '04 Lariat I had which was the retractable type but it leaked at the tailgate where the cover met. Both covers looked great and low profile while fitting flush with the bed rails.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:12 AM   #26
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'd recommend a folding (tri-fold) tonneau rather than a roll-up. This is the one I had on my long bed F250. It held up for 3 winters in Michigan snow and cold, never had a problem and never leaked. https://www.tonnopro.com/catalog/991...ck-p-2442.html

Current price is $250 with free shipping.

I bought the aluminum version for this truck (short bed) and although it's supposed to be stronger, I don't see where there's enough difference to justify the added weight and added cost. This one is 2 years old, still looks new and I don't imagine I'll have an opportunity to buy the lighter version any time soon...
How high does that stick up when it is folded forward?
Old 03-17-2017, 09:40 AM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Both versions, the aluminum backed "heavy duty" version and the soft vinyl "regular duty" version use the same frame. When folded to the front of the bed, the entire cover is about 4.5" high. When "unfolded" to cover the bed, it is about 0.75" to 1" above the top of the bedrail.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:46 AM   #28
canesfan

Thanks. Couldn't find it on the website. I thought it looked high. I scratched my cap on my last rig with my last cover that was roughly 2" high folded up and it was a quarter fold that didn't stick as far back into the bed as a tri-fold. I need a low profile for the next one I get.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:46 PM   #29
Tbos

As a follow up. I bought an Extang revolution. Low profile no Velcro. So far so good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 05:05 AM   #30
the sodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
As a follow up. I bought an Extang revolution. Low profile no Velcro. So far so good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Good deal. All that matters is if in the end, you got what works for you.

Tags
cover