Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2016, 06:44 PM   #21
Jas1234on

2016 3500 HD SRW duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Or a bigger truck LOL

Thought it was a big truck. GM does not make a bigger truck besides the DRW..will not fit in garage. This 17,200 towing capacity is a hard to believe unless pin weight is about 18% of trailer. 17k x 25% way over payload. Oh well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Jas1234on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:30 PM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Re: 2016 3500 HD SRW duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas1234on View Post
Thought it was a big truck. GM does not make a bigger truck besides the DRW..will not fit in garage. This 17,200 towing capacity is a hard to believe unless pin weight is about 18% of trailer. 17k x 25% way over payload. Oh well

It IS a big truck. You are just looking at a BIG trailer for that size truck. Been there done that. Know your truck limitations and fit your trailer to that. If it doesn't work.....bigger truck, or, smaller trailer. It's not a BAD deal, just have to keep your eye on the ball
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:43 PM   #23
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Hmmm, what kind of 2500 do you have? What does the door sticker say? 3000 lbs pin weight "is nothing" ....on a 2500? Not trying to be argumentative but the OP is looking for safe numbers.
One that exceeds the door sticker , The one ton has a better pin weight then the 3/4 ton . The real concern is what is the load rating on the tv tires. Some one is going to roll over in there grave because a accident happened and the rv is splattered all over the road, or some body slams me from the back and cry 200 lbs over the pin weigh and the insurance wont pay. 1 ton is more then capable of handling 3060 lb pin weight.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:52 PM   #24
Jas1234on

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
One that exceeds the door sticker , The one ton has a better pin weight then the 3/4 ton . The real concern is what is the load rating on the tv tires. Some one is going to roll over in there grave because a accident happened and the rv is splattered all over the road, or some body slams me from the back and cry 200 lbs over the pin weigh and the insurance wont pay. 1 ton is more then capable of handling 3060 lb pin weight.

True but what I learned today is my 1 ton truck payload has roughly only 3180 left after myself, wife, full gas, hitch.. And dry pin weight of 3000 lbs will increase as you add weight to trailer....could add another 1200 lbs. I would be over real fast.

Old 11-05-2016, 08:17 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post

The exact reason prudent folks drive down the road marveling at people like you and wondering when you're going to kill someone or yourself. The rating on your TV tires is, literally, the smallest of your/our (other drivers) concerns. You do a great disservice to someone asking legitimate questions about weights and trying to be safe. Lord knows I've done it when I was "ignorant" (35 years ago), but I've never, and won't, advocate that a person drive in a dangerous fashion because "I did, used to etc.". The poster is concerned about his, and his family's well being and doing the right thing. Because those things mean nothing to you....please, don't willingly lead him in the wrong direction. He is trying to do the right thing.

Your lack of knowledge, and concern is very disconcerting. Worried about your "RV spattered all over the road"? No, I'm worried about you getting me, my family or some else splattered all over the road.

"The one ton is more than capable of handling a 3060 pin weight". Please tune in. That is the dry pin weight. The truck has a max payload of 4000 lbs. The dry pin weight will grow substantially. Please, if you like putting yourself, your family and others in jeopardy, keep it to yourself. The OP is looking for info to keep him safe - let's try to give him good, safe info - not, "hell yeah, it's a one ton....it'll pull the shuttle...you're good to go". He deserves better.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:24 PM   #26
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Air bags do nothing for payload.

Actually, they do. Maybe not from a technical/"legal" standpoint... but they do increase the load carrying ability of the vehicle. As long as you don't overload other components, you are fine.

The trick is knowing whether or not you are overloading the other components. Tires and wheels are easy. The rear axle is trickier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:30 PM   #27
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
The exact reason prudent folks drive down the road marveling at people like you and wondering when you're going to kill someone or yourself. The rating on your TV tires is, literally, the smallest of your/our (other drivers) concerns. You do a great disservice to someone asking legitimate questions about weights and trying to be safe. Lord knows I've done it when I was "ignorant" (35 years ago), but I've never, and won't, advocate that a person drive in a dangerous fashion because "I did, used to etc.". The poster is concerned about his, and his family's well being and doing the right thing. Because those things mean nothing to you....please, don't willingly lead him in the wrong direction. He is trying to do the right thing.

Your lack of knowledge, and concern is very disconcerting. Worried about your "RV spattered all over the road"? No, I'm worried about you getting me, my family or some else splattered all over the road.

"The one ton is more than capable of handling a 3060 pin weight". Please tune in. That is the dry pin weight. The truck has a max payload of 4000 lbs. The dry pin weight will grow substantially. Please, if you like putting yourself, your family and others in jeopardy, keep it to yourself. The OP is looking for info to keep him safe - let's try to give him good, safe info - not, "hell yeah, it's a one ton....it'll pull the shuttle...you're good to go". He deserves better.

Oh, the horror!

I see you're a card-carrying member of the WP...

Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:55 PM   #28
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback 325BH View Post
Actually, they do. Maybe not from a technical/"legal" standpoint... but they do increase the load carrying ability of the vehicle. As long as you don't overload other components, you are fine.

The trick is knowing whether or not you are overloading the other components. Tires and wheels are easy. The rear axle is trickier.

I think if you read the documents from Airlift, Firestone etc. they tell you implicitly that the air bags DO NOT increase payload capacity if I recall.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:32 AM   #29
xcntrk

I tow a similarly sized 5'er with a similarly equipped SRW. Depending on the load in garage and overall crap in the truck, I'm right at max GVWR, sometime slightly under, other times a couple hundred pounds over. Here's a couple things to help you with your decision.

First, consider weighing your truck the next time you're loaded down with people and gear. Consider this your "realistic" running weight. Meaning the weight the truck would normally see, heading out on a trip with your occupants and misc. gear in the rig. I bet you'll find that your remaining available payload goes way down from what's on the door sticker. You'd be surprised how much a bed cover, full tank of fuel, and 4 passengers eat into the available capacity.

Secondly, shop long and hard for the right hitch. I didn't see if you had a short or long bed, but the lighter the hitch the less payload consumed by it. For me with a short box, my only option was a slider hitch - and I chose to use an auto unit (of which there's only 2 to choose from) and both are incredibly heavy. I lose probably 250# to the hitch alone. In comparison an Anderson hitch is like 50# but may not work in a short bed.

Lastly, to answer your question, the pin weight does decrease when hauling a load in the garage for sure, but keep in mind the overall GCWR will go up (and potentially push you over). I've heard many toy hauler owners say they'll bring along that toy (golf cart, atv, bike, etc) just for a smoother tow than to haul an empty hauler. My pin weight goes down 2~300# with my 1k# cart in the garage.

Air bags are great, help to level the ride and smooth out the bumps.
Good luck!

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:48 AM   #30
Jas1234on

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcntrk View Post
I tow a similarly sized 5'er with a similarly equipped SRW. Depending on the load in garage and overall crap in the truck, I'm right at max GVWR, sometime slightly under, other times a couple hundred pounds over. Here's a couple things to help you with your decision.

First, consider weighing your truck the next time you're loaded down with people and gear. Consider this your "realistic" running weight. Meaning the weight the truck would normally see, heading out on a trip with your occupants and misc. gear in the rig. I bet you'll find that your remaining available payload goes way down from what's on the door sticker. You'd be surprised how much a bed cover, full tank of fuel, and 4 passengers eat into the available capacity.

Secondly, shop long and hard for the right hitch. I didn't see if you had a short or long bed, but the lighter the hitch the less payload consumed by it. For me with a short box, my only option was a slider hitch - and I chose to use an auto unit (of which there's only 2 to choose from) and both are incredibly heavy. I lose probably 250# to the hitch alone. In comparison an Anderson hitch is like 50# but may not work in a short bed.

Lastly, to answer your question, the pin weight does decrease when hauling a load in the garage for sure, but keep in mind the overall GCWR will go up (and potentially push you over). I've heard many toy hauler owners say they'll bring along that toy (golf cart, atv, bike, etc) just for a smoother tow than to haul an empty hauler. My pin weight goes down 2~300# with my 1k# cart in the garage.

Air bags are great, help to level the ride and smooth out the bumps.
Good luck!

I have a 8foot bed. Was going to use the Anderson ultimate aluminum. Was going to test first of course. But looks like it works on 8foot beds.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:15 AM   #31
Javi

Just to note... air bags actually decrease carry capacity by their own weight. They do however allow you to hide the fact that you have a big load, by leveling the appearance of the truck.

Javi
Old 11-06-2016, 06:15 PM   #32
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback 325BH View Post
Oh, the horror!

I see you're a card-carrying member of the WP...

I'm not the WP. I'm trying to provide factual, real life, safe info to a person that is interested in trying to tow safely....and within the stated legal limits. He hasn't bought the trailer; he is just thinking about it. He is smart, and thoughtful; some could learn by that. Nothing to do with WP.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:14 PM   #33
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas1234on View Post
Oh well that means the 357 is out. That stinks.

Yes it does stink but so much better to find that out before you buy. The last thing needed is to find out later you require a bigger truck or that you are towing unsafe with your family. I bought a new F250 to pull out TT and just a few months later my wife found a 5er we (or she) had to have. That meant a new F350 had to be in the driveway. You made an intelligent decision to find out prior to your purchase. Good luck and have fun as you continue your search for the perfect camper for your family and your TV.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:40 PM   #34
Jas1234on

Not much from keystone toy hauler fifth. I see a grand design momentum M 327. UVW-11,900 hitch weight - 2450...21% dry pin percentage. If I add 1300 toy ( looks to be less cantilevered ) 950 water plus another 500 of misc. This puts me at 2750 cargo...this puts me at 14650. and assume a 2% creep on pin distribution (14650 * 23%) this puts me at 3370 pin weight. With the turndown ball and Anderson aluminum...wife and I...full gas..3260. This puts me 100lbs over. If my pin creep estimate is right the max I can have the trailer to weigh is 14,000. This means lose 1/2 my water. Problem is gray and black will fill up. I wonder if dealer has scales to see how close the manufacturer avg is weights are. Assuming how they just openly sell this stuff to anyone I guess no. I will ask.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:57 PM   #35
chuckster57
Site Team

2016 3500 HD SRW duramax

I haven't seen any dealer have a scale that can weigh a trailer. That would require too much "floor space".

Another option would be asking if a salesperson could accompany you to the nearest public scale.
There are tongue weight scales but it's more for TT than fiver.
http://www.truckspring.com/towing/tr...cale-5780.aspx

Sherline LM5000 will weigh up to 5000 pounds and advertises use for king pin weights. $179.00 on Amazon

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:38 AM   #36
xcntrk

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the Keystone trailers are individually weighed out the door. So the yellow weight decal (typically affixed on the entry door) are the actual exact weight of that individual unit as it left the factory. So all options and accessories included, the very same as it would sit on the dealer lot. This is why you'll notice the yellow stick varies from unit to unit. Not sure if the other manufactures do this or not.

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:16 PM   #37
MattHelm21

Back in 2000, our Newmar American Star weight sticker was the weight with options at the time of build. I can't begin to describe how shocked I was that all my weight calculations were over 2600 lbs off due to all the options I had selected.

While looking at the Fuzion, I found a neat trick. If you want to get an idea of what the actual weight of your model would be with the options package you picked, look at one of the online new RV web listing sites that have all the pictures(sometimes up to and over 40) for a listing of your model and you will eventually find someone(individual or dealer) who posts a picture of the yellow sticker with weights.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:06 PM   #38
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcntrk View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the Keystone trailers are individually weighed out the door. So the yellow weight decal (typically affixed on the entry door) are the actual exact weight of that individual unit as it left the factory. So all options and accessories included, the very same as it would sit on the dealer lot. This is why you'll notice the yellow stick varies from unit to unit. Not sure if the other manufactures do this or not.
Published pin was 1705, yellow sticker 1900. Ready to camp 2475. Still need to add the W/D.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:09 PM   #39
CWSWine

If you are looking at a Grand Design they include a weight sheet in the black Grand Design doc bag that has the UVW of that 5er which will match the yellow label on the 5er but will also have left and right 5er wheels weights. It also includes a dry pin weight of that 5er as it left the factory. This sheet also has the VIN listed on the sheet. If there any questions you can call GD with the VIN and they will quote you the dry pin weight as it left the factory.
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:10 PM   #40
EVMIII

Just a couple random thoughts:

I lived in Colorado a couple years, saw way to many RV's (both Class A gassers and all sizes of 5vers and TT) in the right lane struggling to get up a hill. Always had that in mind when I was truck shopping.

I never wanted to be that guy that was at any of his max limits. I understand there is some kind of safety factor built in, but I think it puts a lot of stress on everything and can't help lead to potential problems.

Lots of people do it successfully everyday, just didn't want it to be me. Couldn't afford a new one, but I love my 2007 Chevy 3500HD DRW with the Duramax/Allison. Best of luck with your pursuit, safe travels.