Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2015, 11:51 AM   #1
DTJ9610

Question Camping with a Dog -where to tie up

So this is will be our 1st trip taking our dog camping. He has always stayed home with my parents who lived above us in an in-law suite. They recently moved out and can not watch the dog. I am looking for the best place to tie up the lead for the dog (hitch, trailer-someplace etc). Leaving him untied is not an option

Background:
The dog is a 75# Chow-Retreiver that wants to get to everything to play. He is rather strong and I want to make sure wherever we tie him it will be safe for him and the object he is tied to.

I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

Previous Trailers
2011 Jayco 17z

Previous Tows
2007 Toyota Sienna
2008 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7L V8 4x4
DTJ9610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:01 PM   #2
BirchyBoy

I have large posts that I can screw into the dirt outside. I'll attach a rope to that. Most places I've been to don't allow you tie them to the trees, etc.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:27 PM   #3
DTJ9610

That's what I'm thinking with regards to not being able to use a tree. Ideally if I could find a place on the camper he would stay closer to us. The hitch of the truck would alow him to get to the front of the site and possibly into the road area.

Previous Trailers
2011 Jayco 17z

Previous Tows
2007 Toyota Sienna
2008 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7L V8 4x4
DTJ9610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:10 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Another option to consider is the length of the rope. The rope shouldn't be long enough to allow the dog to wander into adjacent campsites or onto any paths or campsite roads. There may also be a campsite restriction on the length of leads or leashes which may apply to both walking-type leashes or campsite ones. To be certain, check with the manager or host.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:35 PM   #5
HappyCamperMN

We use a "tie out cable". I think we have the 15' version of the one linked below. Normally hook it to the picnic table at our site. Or in the case of our dog a folding chair will do (as long as it is hooked to something that will deter him from running around).

Four Paws medium weight tie out cable

https://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...psyh8hlsyo.jpg
HappyCamperMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:50 PM   #6
JohnD

Luke is my 127 pound German Shepard, I have always put a cable tie around a tree on my site, it is a plastic wrapped cable so it does not harm the tree.
With my old TT I hooked to a stabilizer once, lesson learned, bent stabilizer. If all else fails A picnic table will suffice, at least then you have some control over where he roams.
2012 Heartland North Trail
2015 Keystone Cougar 337fls
2021 Keystone Montana 3763BP
JohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:57 PM   #7
murphysranch

We tie our two cattle dogs to the steps.
murphysranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:30 PM   #8
poncho62

Old 05-07-2015, 04:33 PM   #9
Steve S

Tie him to the bumper just don't forget that he's there when you leave
Old 05-07-2015, 04:57 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Many places we stay specify leash length; 6-8'. Many, if not most, specify the dog can't be left alone. I have my pup (53lbs) and keep her within arms (leash) length all the time. I just wrap the end of the leash around a post, picnic table leg or whatever; put her blanket/rug down (close to me) and she stays where I say (her "place"). Folks don't have any idea we have a pup unless they see her with one of us or sitting out with us. That's the way I like other folks pups to be; no barking, no wandering into a site, no mess left etc.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 05:21 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Almost every campground I've stayed at has pretty specific rules requiring that animals remain under control. The common requirements are a leash not longer than 6', direct adult supervision, not left outside unattended (many require not being left alone "ever"), no barking or unnecessary noise and not be a nuisance to other campers.

While we do occasionally let our GWP out "unsupervised" in the early morning (to do his business), he is on a 6' leash which is tied to the bottom step of the folding steps on the trailer and we are right inside the open door monitoring him and we bring him back in when he's finished his business.

If I were considering a longer leash or a place to tie him while we're not "right there with him" I would certainly confirm all the rules with the campground host before attempting it.

Remember that animals are "instinctive" and depending on the circumstances that you can't always control, he may react to protect you or "his home", may consider another animal (on a leash or not) as a threat and attack, may "playfully" (or not) jump on a toddler who happens to wander into the "longer leash area".....

Strangers in a campground aren't usually extremely "understanding" when their child or pet is injured by a "friendly" (or not) dog who isn't under direct supervision and is on a leash that's longer than allowed.

So, caution is warranted when "bending the rules".

If we are out in the boonies, I often use a 15' field training lead, tie it to the standoff on the rear bumper and let him have some extra space, but only if we are alone and there aren't any "critters" that would either attack him or that he would chase and potentially injure himself when he hit the "end of the lead"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:15 PM   #12
hankaye

Howdy All;

I have it pretty good here where I live with Rascal. He very rarely makes
any noise and he stays out side most of the day on a 20' nylon rope that
is secured to the big handle next to the door. Steps bend to easily should
the furry family member spot something that needs immediate
attention. Rascal is well behaved, he is after all a Border Collie, but he is a
dog. We live here so he has gotten to know what the boundaries are as far
as his "World" goes.
Most dogs don't know the size of the temporary "territory" as we travel
about. They just know what they are used to. You have a 1/2 acre yard,
that's the size they consider theirs. 1/4 acre same story. Rascal has 'grown
up' in RV parks so his size is roughly 30'X75'. It's all in what they are used
to.
The cork-screw type of anchor is great for allowing the rope/cable
/whatever to get wound around the handle at the top. One needs to also
exercise care where one 'screws them in. no telling where the
underground wires run. I don't think ALL campgrounds go by code,
no telling where a leftover from the last owner went and may still be
active. I do have a spike I can use something like this
http://www.amazon.com/Boss-Pet-Prest...ie+out+for+dog
Still I'd make very sure that it not in line between electrical posts.
The comment that they are instinctual is very true, and well worth
remembering.
Just a few random thoughts from a teammate of the best dog under this
roof.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 04:11 AM   #13
GaryWT

We have a 6 foot leash for when we go for a walk but while on the site we have a 12 or 15 foot thing that as long as it keeps her within our site we are good. Most of the time she is tied to the picnic table but once in awhile she is tied to the steps. All depends on how far she gets from the 3 different areas.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:31 AM   #14
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
If I owned or managed a campground I wouldn't allow that. Besides damaged terrain there is no telling what you could hit screwing that in the ground.
My neighbor had his dog tied to one of those and the dog pulled on it long enough to run out in the street chasing the police chief's wife on her bicycle. Kinda went downhill from there.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:57 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

To illustrate the point about driven or screw in stakes:

The park we are in right now has been owned by 2 or more previous folks. The new owners are renovating gradually. I was out walking the other day and found a black cable that had grown over a tree root, become partially visible and had been hit apparently by a riding mower. I brought it to the manager's attention and found that indeed it was an underground TV serving cable they didn't know was there. Just goes to show that there is no telling what's under the ground in some of these places - especially old ones. Fortunately it wasn't an underground power distribution cable
Old 05-08-2015, 07:24 AM   #16
koko

If we're in the mountains, we can use the anchor-type spike with the rotating top (no worries about what's underneath). The corkscrew type would not be strong enough for our dog. If the terrain is right, we sometimes tie a sturdy nylon rope to two trees and make a short run for our dog using a heavy-duty carabiner as a slide-through.

When we're in a campground, we tie her with her 6 ft. leach and a carabiner to the largest step rail. I've seen dogs drag a picnic table (unless the table's anchored). We've never been to a public campground that will allow tying a dog to their trees. We're at a campground right now that has 150-year-old pinion pines that are treated as they should be, like precious gems.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:31 AM   #17
Ken / Claudia

Our dog is right at 100 lbs, now 4 years old. I had the screw ground mount. At the beach house he pulled it out 2 times, sandy soil. At home we have clay soil and he bent the eye far enough to pull free. Both yards are now fenced. When camping we use a cable and hook it to the picnic table or rear trailer bumper. So, far he has not pulled the trailer but, moved the heavy tables alittle in use here in the camp grounds.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:12 AM   #18
Javi

We travel with two Beagles, one a 13" and the other a 15". Both are either on a 6 foot leash or in an extra large dog carrier like the one below. We've made room in the trailer for the carrier and it will also fit through the door so we can bring it outside if we need our hands free. The boys usually sleep in the carrier when we camp so they are very comfortable with staying in it for a good while, during meals or when friends stop by.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...FQaPaQodYCMAQA
Old 05-08-2015, 07:09 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

As I read these posts I'm wondering about how you have a 100lb dog that would carry a picnic table away or anything like that. If your animal is so untrained what could happen to those near you? I would assume those animals would also be the ones we hear barking incessantly? Mine doesn't bark unless I let her...she hmmphs. She wouldn't dream of taking off without a command. She, and we, taught her those things....I can't believe that folks that bring their dogs into parks haven't done the same.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:34 PM   #20
theeyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
As I read these posts I'm wondering about how you have a 100lb dog that would carry a picnic table away or anything like that. If your animal is so untrained what could happen to those near you? I would assume those animals would also be the ones we hear barking incessantly? Mine doesn't bark unless I let her...she hmmphs. She wouldn't dream of taking off without a command. She, and we, taught her those things....I can't believe that folks that bring their dogs into parks haven't done the same.
Sort of wondered the same thing. Dog's so untrained they are moving picnic tables? Does make you wonder.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote