Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2015, 08:07 AM   #1
GaryWT

I found water inside the trailer

Ok, I know I have a leak but for now I am going to chalk it up to the winter we just had because I cannot figure out where it came in. I will keep an eye on things to see what else happens. The water and wet items were along the wall between the front storage and the under bed storage. If the roof was leaking I don't think it would get to where it is. Since we had snow have way up the trailer on both sides I am figuring that the storage doors might have leaked. They don't leak in rain but with snow up against them for a couple months then maybe. Hopefully it is not the windows.

Gave me a good reason to empty it, clean it out and as a few things are drying, I will decide what goes back in. I hope I am right but I realize it is highly doubtful that I am, will keep watching things.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:13 AM   #2
cw3jason

Don't neglect the roof. I would check and use lap sealant on any cracks you find. Pay special attention to the front and rear caps where they meet the roof. This should be done at least twice a year and we just had a brutal winter

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:14 AM   #3
GaryWT

Have already been on the roof, looks good, thanks.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:22 PM   #4
GaryWT

Ok, so I spent the day cleaning and drying the front storage and under the bed. Today it has been raining most of the day so I went out to take a look. The trailer is not level as it sits in the driveway and there is a wet strip from one storage door, down hill to the other door. Now I need to determine if the door is warped or if it is a seal issue. Either way, looks like I am getting close...
Old 04-20-2015, 12:54 PM   #5
slow

I had to seal the lip above my baggage doors to prevent water entry given that the door frame joint is centred below the lip. If you look under the lip, you will notice a piece of tape that the factory applied on the joint to "prevent" water entry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:00 PM   #6
CampDestinations.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
I had to seal the lip above my baggage doors to prevent water entry given that the door frame joint is centred below the lip. If you look under the lip, you will notice a piece of tape that the factory applied on the joint to "prevent" water entry.
I had the same problem with my passport. It wasn't the door seal itself but the door frame where it's inserted into the cutout in the side of the trailer. The door edges also have a plastic trim that can allow moisture into the door cavity. I applied clear silicone caulk all the way around all of my door hatches, including the outdoor kitchen door.

That's actually the one I noticed this problem with first. Ours started as an ant problem and I put bait traps everywhere to kill the buggers. Eventually I realized that the tiny ants were eating their way into the cavity of the door since it had gotten wet. Wet particle board and whatever glue they use on these things must make a nice meal.

I have had no problems at all in the 2 years since I caulked everything. Just wish I had caught it sooner. My outside kitchen hatch door now is a little "soggy" feeling along the bottom couple of inches but I'm not up for paying Keystone for a new one since it still works fine and most people can't tell.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:32 PM   #7
HappyCamperMN

Ugh, sorry to hear about your water problems. I'll be waiting to hear what the final verdict is so I can give ours a once over.

https://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...psyh8hlsyo.jpg
HappyCamperMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:53 AM   #8
GaryWT

The best I could figure is because I was not level water was staying at the bottom of the frame of the front storage door. The latch plate was full of water. I removed the plate and the the foam seal under it was wet. Once removed there is a straight open shot into the storage area. I filled this void with caulking and replaced the latch plate. I then covered the 2 screws of the plate and the 2 screws holding the frame in. There is not not way for water sitting on the bottom to get in. I did the same on the other side in case at some point that is the high side.

I have not tested it yet but cannot imagine water getting in the same way any more. If it does not rain in the next day or 2 I will get out the hose but I think it will rain tonight. Hope it works as I want to finish cleaning and packing for our first trip in 9 days.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:14 AM   #9
GaryWT

it rained and I used a hose on the storage door and although I have a puddle on the bottom of the frame, no water is inside so I think we are good to go. Ready to put all my stuff back in the storage area.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:39 PM   #10
JimQ

Good to hear Gary! I know you'll be checking the storage area periodically during the next month, just to be sure. Have a great camping season!! We are getting ours ready to roll also!!
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:04 PM   #11
GaryWT

Thanks Jim, have a great season. Our first stop is Normandy Farms.