Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2011, 01:17 PM   #1
Berg570FE

Mouse problems

We still have mice problems in our 2010 Cougar. Ive plugged all the holes i think are entry points. Ive set 4 traps, 6 trays of poison, and 3 sticky traps. I removed panels and put said traps under the sink/fridge/furnace and other nooks and cranny's.

I checked on our trailer today, as it is still "In hibernation" just to make sure everything was ok, and still see signs of the mouse (tissue paper, ect).

Whats my next step?

Thanks for any advise!
Berg570FE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
HigginsPod

Mice

I would remove most everything that i could to include any cushions. Open all cabinets and then put out the traps and poison. Not sure if it would help now. But I was told dryer sheets. They don't like moth balls but they stink. Sorry you are having this problem.
2010 Chevy HD Silverado
HigginsPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:32 AM   #3
Maxzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berg570FE View Post
We still have mice problems in our 2010 Cougar. Ive plugged all the holes i think are entry points. Ive set 4 traps, 6 trays of poison, and 3 sticky traps. I removed panels and put said traps under the sink/fridge/furnace and other nooks and cranny's.

I checked on our trailer today, as it is still "In hibernation" just to make sure everything was ok, and still see signs of the mouse (tissue paper, ect).

Whats my next step?

Thanks for any advise!
What model cougar? I spent a few hours mice proofing our new 5th wheel unit. The front hatch where the landing gear comes in had big openings around the sides of each landing gear. Angle iron side to side and plywood cut to fit covered the openings. Propane tanks now have wire screens lining the bottom. Main slide out big gap between gearing and unit. Now has a Neoprene cover siliconed around frame where gear slides in so no critters or air gets in. Skirting is still a potential problem, mice could get into it when slide is open, but can't go anywhere but back and forth. No entry point into trailer in there at least don't think so. Keystone has a cover but leaves a couple inch gap near frame for some reason. Right above that (a foot in) is the fresh water filler hose. Maybe a place to check if you have not already. In my unit there is an access hole to the belly of the trailer from inside. Its in a cabinet has an access panel.

So do you think you solved all access points and this mouse is trapped inside or still getting in somehow? Not fun. Family friend had mice get in and end up in the ceiling light dome fixture running round and around. Another had dozens in their motorhome one night. Couldn't figure out how, traps set for hours kept coming. Turns out an electric damper in the engine compartment for ac was stuck open got in thru there. Once closed problem over but crazy they are relentless.

Good luck!!

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Maxzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:04 AM   #4
Devildogmom

Thumbs up I hate meeces to pieces!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HigginsPod View Post
I would remove most everything that i could to include any cushions. Open all cabinets and then put out the traps and poison. Not sure if it would help now. But I was told dryer sheets. They don't like moth balls but they stink. Sorry you are having this problem.
We haven't tried the sheets or moth balls. What we did use was Irish Spring soap. Last year was the first year we used the soap and it seemed to work okay. We'll see if it worked come Spring.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:15 PM   #5
Berg570FE

I actually found a gap in the front slide that i had previously missed. So it is now plugged too.

We set out dryer sheets also, Id never heard of this trick.

Another month and its camping time for us!
Berg570FE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:11 PM   #6
SJMcKee

Mouse annilation

We got mice shortly after we brought it home, we live on the prairie, so went to work with the traps and Jiff peanut butter (they like jif), and then put Irish spring soap in all the hidden area, including outside storage. Got a lot of those suckers on the peanut butter, and so far this winter no signs....nock on wood, But the 5r smells really nice. Steve,
SJMcKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:43 PM   #7
littlejim623

Peanut butter on sticky traps in the basement works for me.
littlejim623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:15 PM   #8
chuck&gail

Mice

We live very rural, and see mice in our front yard quite often (usually in the mouth of a fox or bird). For over 20 years we have successfully used ultrasonics to keep them out of our TT. Ultrasonic mouse deterrer sits under TT, and runs off TT battery 24x7. Battery kept charged with 15 watt solar panel. We figured if they never got under the TT, they would never get inside. Worked so far.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:09 AM   #9
Kunkler

We use dryer sheets. i have used them on old campers and new ones and have never had an issue. just go grab a box at the dollar store and put them all over in behind pannels in cabinets in the middle of the floor you should'nt have a problem. this is for storage of course
Kunkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #10
DocData757

If you keep researching on other sites, you will come up with the case where a camper found the mice were using the dryer sheets to build a nest. I prefer the use of moth balls. I bought some nylon mesh fabric and made bags of mothballs. I put then inside the front bay where the legs retract, on top of both wheel axles where they connect to the wheels and then strewn on the ground concentrating mostly at anyplace anything from the camper touches the ground. Inside I place a couple of bags of 'Fresh Cab' which was created for use in storing large farm equipment with cabs over the winter. Worked great. I found the Fresh Cab on line somewhere.
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #11
ftwildernessguy

Not a real fan of poison here. Besides the possibility of pets getting into it, there is also the problem of the mice eating the poison, crawling into some hidden space in the trailer to die, and leaving a really bad odor behind.
ftwildernessguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:14 AM   #12
Tina D

Mouse Free

I have had some issues with mice entering my RV and i've tried everything out there and nothing seemed to work for any length of time. I came across something called Mouse Free while researching ways to get rid of mice and I decided to give it a try. Its a coating that goes on the undercarriage of your trailer or motorhome that keeps mice out. The site where I found it was http://www.mouse-free.com. I used the do it yourself kit but there are also RV dealers who can do it for you. The videos on the site are really good for showing how it works.
Tina D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #13
cliff1323

Mouse Prevention

We took our fifth wheel out and the first morning found evidence of mice. Upon returning home I crawled around underneath and looked in every crack,or crevice and filled those gaps with steel wool, this made a difference but got mice the next time we used the camper. To my surprise I found there entry space... THE CORD HOLE... Now I have steel wool under the cover for the power cord, extended or stored, I have NO more mice...YAHOO!
cliff1323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:02 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff1323 View Post
We took our fifth wheel out and the first morning found evidence of mice. Upon returning home I crawled around underneath and looked in every crack,or crevice and filled those gaps with steel wool, this made a difference but got mice the next time we used the camper. To my surprise I found there entry space... THE CORD HOLE... Now I have steel wool under the cover for the power cord, extended or stored, I have NO more mice...YAHOO!
Cliff,
If you are interested, there are a couple of threads about replacing the "cord hole" with a Marinco Electrical connection with detachable cord. Total cost, if you shop carefully is less than $80 and it seals the hole you're stuffing with steel wool permanently. Once that's done, no more mice through that port

If you're interested, here's one link to the subject:
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3825

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #15
dksd39

We have had some very bad trouble with mice including them eating all the wiring for the fridge. Have yet to have issues with the new camper but I have tried just about everything listed above...here is my personal experience. Dryer sheets seem to move them away from a specific location and they make the camper smell darn nice. The best solution so far has been poison placed in a length of pvc pipe laying next to the camper. In a side by side compairison with the poison blocks purchases at local store I have found one clear winner... Just one bite bars are far and away superior and do an amazing job. If the use of poison is an option for you...give them a look...you will be surprised.
dksd39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:05 PM   #16
AlbertaRvMan

https://www.mouse-free.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina D View Post
I have had some issues with mice entering my RV and i've tried everything out there and nothing seemed to work for any length of time. I came across something called Mouse Free while researching ways to get rid of mice and I decided to give it a try. Its a coating that goes on the undercarriage of your trailer or motorhome that keeps mice out. The site where I found it was http://www.mouse-free.com. I used the do it yourself kit but there are also RV dealers who can do it for you. The videos on the site are really good for showing how it works.
Hi Tina,

Just wondering how well (or not) this product is working for you. My dealer suggested it.

Thanks.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:19 PM   #17
Festus2
Site Team

AlbertaRVMan -

I don't think that you'll be getting a reply from Tina. If you check the date of her post, you will note that it was back in June of 2011. In addition, this was her one and only post.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:38 PM   #18
BC Canada

I haven't heard dryer sheets for mice but I have used dryer sheets for ants.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:29 PM   #19
66joej

mouse problem

We put mouse traps on top of all 4 tires and on the front landing gear.
6 in total with peanut butter bait. Actually this is the only way mice can access the RV. They can't jump! Works great!
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:52 PM   #20
Sherwood

I was always told and read not to use food in traps inside your RV as this will attract mice if they aren't already in there. Once in there, they now smell that entrance even if you do not know its there and others smell it too and use it. But that's just what I've heard. I use heavily scented soap run through the cheese grater and disperse it throughout the camper on plates where ever they may come in like doors, holes in floor for plumbing, slide outs, etc... So far, never had a problem.

Eric & Kim Sherwood
2011 Cougar 31SQB Travel Trailer, EZ-Flex
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0L
Reese Straight Line Trunnion Bar w/Dual Cam Anti-Sway
Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote