Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2014, 01:27 PM   #1
dgleason

General Questions - Locks & HWH

Have a fairly new Cougar 5th wheel so still getting everything ready for camping. Only been out once with this rv last fall, but have several reservations for this summer.

The spare tire is attached to the back of the rv with just 2 regular lug nuts. With a tire iron, I could have it off and gone in a few minutes. What do you folks use to lock your spare tires? I was thinking a tire cover would be nice to keep the sun off the space tire too.

What do you use to secure the king pin? Several years ago an rv dealer told me that some rv's are stolen and pulled up to a lot in the forest/mountains and used as a cabin. They never get caught because once in place, the thieves don't move them again and they are hard to find.

Last question is on the water heater. Mine has the fast recovery feature, which will be nice when I'm connected to power. I'd like to disable that feature when I'm not connected to power. Is that possible by pulling a fuse or flipping a switch? I have reservations for Rocky Mt NP in June, which has no hookups. A generator can be used a few hours in the morning and evening. So I will be conserving my battery.

Also have 3 different styles of LED 921 replacement lights. Will go out and see how those work soon. Probably next weekend, right now it's snowing in Colorado.

Thanks.
dgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:55 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

dgleason -
You can purchase a "collar" for the kingpin which has a slot for attaching a padlock. You can buy one of these things at CW or most RV suppliers.

We can disable our HW tank electrical supply buy turning the external switch to OFF. This switch is located on the tank's exterior in the bottom left-hand corner. Look for a small rocker switch with provisions for a small cotter pin.
On our Cougar, there is no interior electrical switch to turn the HW tank on and off -- just the propane side. You can use both, BTW- electricity and propane - for the HW tank.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:50 PM   #3
dgleason

Next time I'm by the rv I'll look for that HWH rocker switch. Thanks!
Old 04-06-2014, 06:16 PM   #4
GaryWT

Never gave the spare tire much thought. Mine came with a vinyl cover on it. I guess if you think it will be a problem you can get a locking lug nut for it.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:42 PM   #5
Dave & SUe

http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Lock...able_Lock.aspx

try this link.
Dave & SUe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:19 AM   #6
airforceret

i pulled the spare tire off the back and stuck it in the middle of my front storage compartment. safe, out of the weather, makes room for my bike rack...

I run a kingpin lock as already mentioned. Yes they do periodically get stolen when left unlocked but I've heard it's less common if you have slides and they are extended!!!
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:58 AM   #7
dgleason

Found the switch on the water heater. It had a piece of silver tape over the top of it.

I like the idea of moving the spare in the front storage compartment. Keeps the sun from rotting the rubber too.

Thanks everyone.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:38 AM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

Something to keep in mind about this little HW tank rocker switch. When you come to winterize your RV and drain the water from the tank, this switch has to be in OFF position. The rocker switch has a tiny hole to accept a small cotter pin. I insert the cotter pin to make sure that I don't accidentally turn it on and then plug into shore power.

If the tank is empty and the switch is left in the ON position, then you will quickly burn out the element if you plug your unit into shore power.

The tape that you found over the switch could have been used for two reasons: one to keep the switch in the OFF position or two - in the ON position. When you removed the tape, did you notice what position the switch was in?
Old 04-14-2014, 05:20 PM   #9
dgleason

When I removed the tape, the rocker switch was in the off position. Now I know why. Thanks. I just went out to make sure I left it in the off position.

These are the kind of things that dealers ought to explain when they walk you thru all the equipment.