Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2014, 08:38 PM   #1
outrider

Corps of Engineers Parks

Does anyone stay at any Corp of Engineer parks? Several here in Texas and I was wondering? Do they normally have full hookup or are there dump stations?

Do they have a limit on size of the RV? What about duration of stay?

Thanks.

Accompanied by Peanut
known as mouth with legs
outrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:55 AM   #2
Beekeeper

We camp at a few COE parks in Illinois. Everyone I have ever seen, at least around here, does offer sites with full hookups. They also all have a dump station, nice showers and flush toilet restrooms. Most have a variety of campsites, but most will accommodate rig sizes up to the biggest coach.

I think stay duration is 30 days, but you can find that info. with a quick internet search. We like the Corps campgrounds. They are well maintained, and usually offer very spacious sites.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:21 AM   #3
rnkburg

There is a monthly limit, I believe 14 days in a month, most that want to get around it by having reservations alternate between spouses names. I dont get that much time off to have to worry about that

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:01 AM   #4
Bob Landry

The COE parks in Texas are very well maintained and to me a lot better than the Texas parks, at least the ones in the Central Texas Region. The only drawback is that a lot of them are new and do not have a lot of shaded sites, so Summer can be tough.The sites are spacious, and the showers are clean. They do not have sewer hookup, but they all have dump stations. That was an issue when we first started RVing, but we acclimated to it. There is a 14 day per month limit. They are particularly attractive to me because my NP Senior Pass gets me half price campsites. We can do a lot of weekends for not much money.
To the OP, the parks on Lake Georgetown are very nice. We particularly like Jim Hogg Park

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:14 AM   #5
antiqfreq

We have stayed at many COE parks across the country.

Never a problem. All of them can vary in size of RV that will fit in.

You can get all that information on line though, or just call and
get advise.

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:48 AM   #6
canesfan

I stay at one here in Virginia that I really like. No full hookups, but water and electric and a "4 rig" dump station, really nice, clean bath houses, etc. I think the limit is 14 days a month if I remember. They also have a huge "No Alcohol" sign right at the entrance, but the rangers usually just wave if you're behaving. It was explained to me that it's more to keep gangs of "youngsters" from having weekend "parties" during the Summer. If you're sitting around the fire socializing and being civil they've never bothered us.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:57 AM   #7
chris199

We have using one in TN every year for the past 3 yrs. No sewer but one of the best CGs we have ever used. Rest rooms are excellent. Large sites..good view on man made lake..run well. The reserve america website shows each site and specs for each.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:23 PM   #8
Jim Dow

Which one in TN?

How do you actually find good COE campgrounds. Neither Woodall nor Good Sams is any good at finding them.

I'm particularly anxious to find one in western TN/
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:52 AM   #9
Bob Landry

Go to recreation.gov and do a search on the area you are interested in. I print out a map of the park to get the general layout and then use the satellite view on Google to find the shaded sites. You can also see eye level views.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:11 AM   #10
KanTC

Here's some links:

http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/visitors/camping.cfm

http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/visitors/visitors.cfm

View by state
http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/visitors/brochures.cfm

http://www.recreation.gov/campground...agencyID=70902

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:33 PM   #11
Jim Dow

Thanks

Thanks, I needed that info.
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:59 AM   #12
Terry W.

We have camped in many Corp campground in SC all were dump, 30 and 50 amp service, level and goos size sites. Dollar for dollar we tkae a Corp over state parks just better matained.
2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:08 PM   #13
bsmith0404

I have never stayed in one, but after reading this thread y wife and I went out to check a couple last weekend. We were impressed, very nice and clean parks with large sites. Probably the largest sites I have seen in any RV park with plenty of space between to set up camp games for the kids. Thanks for all of the great info and opening our eyes to some great parks.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:19 PM   #14
Road-King

COE CG's to me are the best bang for your buck. Everyone we have stayed in has been nice. I have not seen any in TN or GA with sewer. The only complaint I've had at a COE CG ,and it's small, is they sometimes have speed bumps between your site and the dump station. Makes pulling the honey tank interesting. If they would leave a gap in the middle to pull the tanks through.
2008 FLHRC 105th
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:37 PM   #15
J&A

We've stayed at Cedar Breaks Park in Georgetown, Texas and at Potter's Creek Park in Canyon Lake, Texas. Both have great RV sites with trees and large covered picnic tables. These US ACoE parks in Texas are better maintained and have better site setups than the Texas State Parks we've been to so far.

One of the things I like about making reservations with a US Army Core of Engineers park is that one can reserve some of the good RV sites online as opposed to reserving just a site (any) on a first come, first serve basis.

With the park's pdf facility map and a Google satellite view, one can choose and reserve a great site.

Good luck and happy camping!

In search of my next RV
SOLD! - 2013 Terrain 299TBH
SOLD! - 2002 Chevy Tahoe 5.3L
J&A is offline   Reply With Quote