Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
T-BEAR

quartsite

Hello all,
Anyone ever been to quartsite in arizona?. I'm looking to go next january. Any information anyone can give me will be healpful.
Thanks
T-Bear
T-BEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
theeyres

On another site, several years ago, I tried to start an "I hate Quartzite" sub forum. I failed but that's the way it goes. Just go and be prepared for dust, dirt, huge crowds, inflated prices, and fake gem shows. OK. Now you know my view... despite what others may say. Many love the place--I just couldn't get it.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
diugo
Permanent User Ban

Quartzsite in January is a very busy time. Great if you like crowds, swap-meet shopping and gems and all that. In that sense, it's fun to spend a day or maybe a week there.

But if you're looking for a longer stay---and you can survive without dainty hookups---Q is the birth place of the LTVA (Long Term Visitor Area). With a cheap $180 sticker you can camp up to seven months in the same site and experience some of the best weather in the country. That's a camping bargain that is hard to beat.

The LTVA system has become so popular it has expanded to several other locales in Arizona and California. The same $180 sticker lets you explore these as well, if you start to get itchy feet.
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
Western Traveler

Info please for a short stay here. Reservations needed? A recommendation on a decent park for a night or two?

I had no idea! Kept a TT on the river for over 20 years south of Blythe on the Cali side until I relocated to Montana. Never did more than stop for gas when passing through Quartzite.
I am taking possession of my new Cougar in Quartzite away from "The Peoples Republic of California" and their taxes right before Christmas (to the Cali folks please don't misunderstand me I love that diversity of the State and all it offers)! The politicians, ahh not so much...
I was going to head to the river to find a place to stay but this could be a good alternative to rest up for the drive home and a little shake down.
Guessing there are RV services there if needed as well.
Western Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
KanTC

Tons of info online about Quartzsite, the area & winter activities, etc... in addition to the following, try Google
Inlaws are snowbirds & went for a month a few years ago - had fun, but it wasn't their "cup-of-tea" for an annual trip.

It's a very small community with some RV parks in town... the reviews offer some good insight too
http://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions...uartzsite.html

http://www.your-rv-lifestyle.com/quartzsite-blm.html Good basic info

http://gypsyjournal.net/quartzsite.htm Woodstock for RVers

Quartzsite, Arizona: America's largest parking lot

http://www.desertmessenger.com Quartzsite community newspaper

http://gosw.about.com/od/festivalsan.../quartzite.htm

http://www.rv-camping-lifestyle.com/...zsite-blm.html

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
Western Traveler

Thanks so much Terri you gave me exactly what I was hoping for.
As mentioned I am very familiar with the desert but wasn't so much with this place and what to expect.
I think I can fit right in for a night or two and be on my way without too much pre-planning other than bringing my supplies.
BLM land gives me options.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #7
Railcop345

Smile Dust Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeyres View Post
On another site, several years ago, I tried to start an "I hate Quartzite" sub forum. I failed but that's the way it goes. Just go and be prepared for dust, dirt, huge crowds, inflated prices, and fake gem shows. OK. Now you know my view... despite what others may say. Many love the place--I just couldn't get it.
Couldn't agree more. Been there twice, both times extreme winds and lots of rain. High prices and mega people. Not for us either!. But to those who love the wide open spaces, dirt bikes, and did I mention lots of dust, go for it! Plus we live in a "House" in the High Desert and just can't bring ourselves to camp in the desert!
Railcop345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #8
Bushman512000

BLM land

Watch for the night robbers they steal any thing they can resell ..Generators /propane tanks /Hitch parts...But locks do help they go to the next trailer with out locks and if You lose some thing You may buy it back in the flea market the next day ...so be warned... Bushman
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #9
jje1960

Sounds wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman512000 View Post
Watch for the night robbers they steal any thing they can resell ..Generators /propane tanks /Hitch parts...But locks do help they go to the next trailer with out locks and if You lose some thing You may buy it back in the flea market the next day ...so be warned... Bushman
Wonderful sounding vacation spot......
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #10
BulletOwner1

Wow, the negativity!!!!!

Not saying these people are wrong in their assessment but this was not what we experienced last year. We camped north of town in the free area. Wide open spaces with a LOT of neighbors but had no adverse issues. Stayed about three days. Yes there are crowds. And if you are into the flea market thing this is the place.

The weather was a little chilly but other than that we had a good time. Don't think we'll do it again but it was fun to experience once.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:10 AM   #11
crash

We may have to try it atleast once just to say we did and to see what it is like.
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #12
Mike L123

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
We may have to try it atleast once just to say we did and to see what it is like.
Almost akin to what the Sturgis experience is to motorcycle enthusiasts. We are currently in Earp, CA at the Big River RV park, 40 miles from the Q. We have been there a couple of times already - it is fairly slow there right now and it is interesting to see the encampments slowly growing in size. Lots of RV traffic for the most part and will surely pick up dramatically after Christmas. We have been to Q a few times in previous years and this is our first full winter snowbirding S of the 49th parallel.

It is and adventure and that's what life is all about!

Cheers!

Mike and Carol
Carol, My wonderful wife of 41 years
Kenzie Schweenie Tod, our furry faced Shih 't n Dash
Mike L123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:56 PM   #13
Mike L123

Went to "Q" again today, mainly for breakfast at Bad Boys, awesome food there. Definitely a few more vendors now and more setting up. The BLM's were surprisingly deserted, at least for now. There were definitely many more RV's at the in town RV parks and there was already a noticeable increase in the Police presence. We saw several different vehicles pulled over by various LEO's in town as well as just outside of town - go figure, huh. The weather today was drop dead gorgeous, sunny blue sky and nice and warm (at least by Canadian standards!)

Cheers and Merry Christmas!

Mike and Carol
Carol, My wonderful wife of 41 years
Kenzie Schweenie Tod, our furry faced Shih 't n Dash
Mike L123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:45 AM   #14
Western Traveler

Took delivery of my TT from the transport Co in Ehrenberg, AZ just before Christmas. Turned out that I didn't need to go to Quartzite as Ehrenberg is the town right across the Ca. border. I asked the Notary if there was a campground in town to stay the night and he recommended the River Breeze RV Park across the road from the Flying J. Said the snowbirds had not arrived yet and to just take a spot for the night and check in in the morning.
Turned out to be a nice clean, full hook-up park with grass and flat pads. Friendly folks and a lot of grounds cleanup going on by the staff.
Paid in the morning and was on my way so didn't see too much of the place but I would definitely stop there again for a quick respite.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:27 PM   #15
vrgchs

We actually have a spot at the Colorado River Oasis in Ehrenberg (not far from "Q") that we leave our TT full time. We have been there for 4yrs (go approx once a month) and actually have yet to go to Q for the flea market.
vrgchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:32 AM   #16
jsmith948

Spent the last few days in Quartzsite, AZ. We stayed at the 'Desert Gold RV Park' which is about 3 mi NW of I-10 on HWY 60 (about 18 mi from Quartzsite.
There is an abundance of BLM campng very close to town, but we opted for this park. The roads are all paved - the sites are pea gravel with desert landscaping. Each site has a concrete slab so the pea gravel is not an issue. Great folks running the park which is very clean and quiet. Lots of Quads and side-by-sides - but muffled exhausts are mandatory and they enforce the 10 mph speed limit. After spending the day at the crowded and dusty RV show/gem show/flea market, it was really nice to come back to a quiet and dust free park. There was a very large "Gimmick-O-Rama" tent with all sorts of vendors selling everything from RV wax to massage chairs.
The only disappointment for us was that Paul Everts RV had somehow arranged to be almost the exclusive dealer on site. It seemed that all of the other dealers were located off site, which required long walks or wait for the tram. Parking was, of course, at a premium with the free lots over flowing. However, we found a little $5 lot that was handy to the show and nearly empty (go figure). All in all a great time.
No, we didn't spring for a new 5er, even though the salesman was trying to "give" us a 3850FL Montana!

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote