Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
boiler27

Hitch suggestions for Cougar 307BHS

My family and I plan to pick up our 09 Cougar 307BHS travel trailer in a week or so. I drive a tractor trailer for a living, but have never pulled a travel trailer of this size and could sure use some advice on a hitch setup. My tow vehicle is an 07 Ram 2500, 4x4 Quad Cab, short bed, 6.7 Cummins, 6spd auto. Thanks for the input, I've read a lot on this forum already and figured advice from someone with a similar setup would help a whole lot!
boiler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler27 View Post
My family and I plan to pick up our 09 Cougar 307BHS in a week or so. I drive a tractor trailer for a living, but have never pulled a travel trailer of this size and could sure use some advice on a hitch setup. My tow vehicle is an 07 Ram 2500, 4x4 Quad Cab, short bed, 6.7 Cummins, 6spd auto. Thanks for the input, I've read a lot on this forum already and figured advice from someone with a similar setup would help a whole lot!
Not being familiar with every model from every year from every product line, I had to do some hunting to figure that this a TT and not a fifth wheeler. Just pointing that it's easier to answer a question when all the info is on the table up front.

Your 307BHS is a 35 foot travel trailer with a GVWR of 11,000# and a factory hitch weight of 840#. Actual tongue weight should be 12 to 15% of loaded weight. That means you do all your calculations and product searches based on GVWR only.

First the tongue. Since you are looking at tongue weights of as much as 1,500# or so. Real world weights will likely be less, probably around 1,100 give or take a hundred. That means that everything has to be rated around those weights. Starting with the receiver on your truck, check the max trailer and tongue weights for weight distributing towing. There should be sticker right on the receiver. If the receiver can't handle an 11K trailer with 1,100# of tongue, you might want to think about a better receiver.

A bigger receiver may also mean a bigger hitch system. Go over to reeseprod.com and look at their regular 12k/1,200 WD hitches. (Not pushing Reese, but their website is easy to navigate and they have lots of ratings that are easy to find for all their products.) If your receiver is up to it, the 12k/1,200 WD system with Dual Cam sway control is a very good choice.

If your receiver needs to be upgraded, you have three choices. A beefier standard 2x2 receiver with numbers to match your trailer is the first one. It's probably the most economical because you can use their standard hitch system with it. They also offer the Titan (2.5x2.5) and Super Titan (3x3) receivers and hitches. These have numbers upwards of 20K# and beyond. They have hitches to match, but they'll be very pricey.

I like the Reese Dual Cam sway control because it uses the weight of the tongue to control the sway. There are some other systems out there like the Blue Ox and the Equal-I-Zer that are very good as well. I do not recommend friction anti sway bars. They are only good on smaller trailers and are very finicky to set up correctly. They also have to be set up and adjusted every time you hitch up. Sway control units like the DC only require one fine tuning and then will be the same every time you hitch up.

Your tow vehicle is certainly up to the task of towing the trailer. A well matched hitch and sway control system will connect the two safely and securely. You'll get some more ideas, suggestions, and opinions from others here. Mine are not the only good ones by any means, but do keep in mind that you've got a big trailer and the hitch system needs to accommodate it correctly.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
boiler27

Thanks for the advice, I did forget to mention that it its a travel trailer! So far in my research I've noticed that the Reese dual cam seems to be a popular choice. I've got some time to shop around a little, so every bit of advice is appreciated.
boiler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
theeyres

I have always been a fan of the Equal-i-zer brand. It is very easy to install and easy to use. You can back up with it attached and they totally stand behind the hitch. Personally, I would take it over the Reese, but adherents to either brand tend to love what they have.

That said, I have been taking a real close look at the Blue Ox Sway Pro.The rotating latches eliminate much of the minor irritations of hooking the chains on a hitch like the Reese. I haven't purchased anything yet for our "new to us" trailer but it will be the Blue Ox or Equal-i-zer.

Take a close look at both of them and read the reviews. I don't think you will find a negative comment about either.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote