Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
mike&jenny

Weigh Stations

We live in Indiana and a friend of ours just got a camper/truck combo. He asked me if he needed to go through the weigh station when they go to Kentucky camping. I didn't think so but wasn't for sure. Anybody out there know the correct answer?
mike&jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
SlowPoke

It's my understanding that only in California has anyone had issues getting pulled and weighed, not at the station, but by mobile scales. My dad traveled all over and never stops at 'em. There are no laws in any state to my knowledge that requires anyone other than DOT traffic (Commercial trucks or commercial carriers) to pass through them. I drive a commercial van and it's a DOT registered vehicle, but they don't even want me to stop because they say I'm under 10,000 Lbs and not worth the time...I still stop, otherwise it's a misdemeanor here in VA ...I don't care WHAT they tell me NOT to do. They don't pay my fines, I DO....(when driving the work truck) when driving the TV and TT I will not stop....

In any state though, there is always a possibility of the fuzz pulling you if they think you are over weight as per your ratings....but have only HEARD of a few instances that were extreme that even had the police pull them over.

There are other threads from the past that also touch on this subject...just follow Steve's post below....

2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab w ith 2013 Keystone Passport 3180RE

SlowPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
fla-gypsy

In Florida it is limited to commercial vehicles. I am not knowledgeable of all state regulations concerning this.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike&jenny View Post
We live in Indiana and a friend of ours just got a camper/truck combo. He asked me if he needed to go through the weigh station when they go to Kentucky camping. I didn't think so but wasn't for sure. Anybody out there know the correct answer?
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...=weigh+station

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...=weigh+station

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote