Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2011, 04:38 AM   #1
Kurt

Using Standard Jacks to help with motion?

I know I've seen some threads regarding how to cure some of the motion, but was wondering if anyone has had any luck just using standard jacks underneath their trailer on the frame by the the tires.

With my spread axles, I don't think the X-chock will help me since there is a 16" spread between the tires.

I was thinking in these steps to see if this might work.

First, get the trailer level with the levelers under the tires and then front to back with the power jack up front.

Second, position the standard jacks near the middle by the tires and raise them just enough to take the weight off the tires and suspension to cut back on the motion.

Third, run the factory stabilizers at the corners down to further stabilize.

Has anyone tried anything like this or does anybody think this would work?

2011 Keystone Premier 31BHPR
2008 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4 5.7L V8
Reese Strait-Line WD hitch w/ Dual-Cam sway control
Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Brake Control
Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:05 AM   #2
Ruffus

Smile Jacks

Kurt
I'm currently fulltiming but this is what I've done and it only takes a few minutes to install. Factory installed stablizers on the rear, and a tripod under my fifth wheel pin. Then I placed two $19 standard braceing jacks (one on each side) just behind the rear tires to the frame. I had to place a couple large blocks under the jacks because the trailer sits so high but it really took the movement out of my trailer. Any jack will work just don't put to much pressure on them, they are just used for bracing not to lift the trailer.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:42 AM   #3
campingcpl

We used to have a smaller trailer that had only a single axle and it rocked a lot even with the stab jacks down. I used a couple of barrel jacks and put them just on the back side of the tire under the axle and then jacked them up just till there was good pressure and not lifting the tires. That seemed to work ok. Another idea that you could do is make your own wheel chocks by using some 4 x 4 and some heavy threaded rod. Then you can make them whatever size you need to fit between the tires. I am making a set for our camper out of a couple of scap pieces of 4 x 4 I have laying around and to do both sides is costing less then $20.00.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chocks.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	269  

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:38 AM   #4
Bob Landry

Both UF and Camco make aluminum screw type jacks, trade name Stackjacks. They are aluminum and very light weight and can be raised and tightened by hand. I think they weight less than 2 lbs each. I use the X-Chocks and one of these on each side, forward of the wheels. The best part is they are cheap, around $25 a pair. I set them the same wau I set the stablizers. I run the screw up until it touches the frame then go one more turn. Wheel chocks do help some, but there is still some bounce from the springs and the screw jacks in the middle really help a lot. I don't think you can ever get rid of all of the flex in the frame.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:22 PM   #5
Kurt

Sounds like a good idea on the jacks and for that price it will be worth a try! I will add that to my shopping list and I can't wait to give them a try. I think they will make it much better than it is now.

To me the trailer length is so long that by having the factory stabilizer jacks that far apart, the law of physics means that the middle ought to have some flex especially with the give in the tires and the suspension.

Thanks for the ideas!!!

Old 03-03-2011, 06:36 AM   #6
jq1031

Hi Kurt, I'm curious as to how you like the Resse WD hitch, dual cam. I plan on buying the exact same thing.
Joe
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:26 PM   #7
ktmracer

go for a "steadyfast" stabilizer system. Virtually eliminates trailer motion. about all that is left is a small amount of movement from the compliance in the tires.

http://www.steadyfast.com/index.html

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:21 PM   #8
Kurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jq1031 View Post
Hi Kurt, I'm curious as to how you like the Resse WD hitch, dual cam. I plan on buying the exact same thing.
Joe
Joe,

I love the setup and have no problems with it. I used all of last year and it works like a charm. This is the first trailer that I have ever hauled that required this setup, so I have nothing to compare it to. I have noticed no swaying as this trailer tacks straight even when dealing with the big rigs. I have not towed it in a very strong crosswind yet though, so we have yet to experience that!

The thing is real easy to connect as their are no adjustments to be made. I do notice some noise when the arms slide on the cams when you are turning tight but that doesn't bother me.

I think you will be happy with it!