Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2012, 06:10 AM   #1
chuckretnav

Direct TV High Def Set Up

Just went through the experience of taking my direct tv hd box from the house and putting it in the trailer (327res) fiver. Little did I know that this was going to be a major chore and expense. I have a permint site and thought it would be nice to use Direct TV at the fiver. Took it from the house thinking I could hook up to the dish that was already on my site. WRONG. I have found out that there are two different satallite dish to use. one is for HD and the other is for normal TV. And the two do not cross. I went out and bought the tripod and (Slimline Direct TV dish and LNB) $250.00. After learning how to set up the dish and get a signal I found trying to anchor it to the ground was not easy either. The HD signal is very narrow and you can miss all three satalites by just a half inch. Long story short make it easy and just stay with Normal TV.
chuckretnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
SAD
Permanent User Ban

I use my DirecTV receiver from home, but just point my 18" round dish at the 101 to get standard def only.. The 101 carries all of DTV core programming... So only 1 dish to point to if you don't mind only having Std Def.

At one campsite we go to frequently enough, I just take the dish out of the basement and set it on the ground. BOOM signal. I do it so often that I can just eyeball it and get a signal.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:44 AM   #3
Jim W

I am a DISH Satellite subscriber and use the HD box with the new Tailgater from Dish. The tailgater uses the input signal from the HD box to locate the satellite for you. The only requirement for you is to make sure that the tailgater has a clear view of the southern sky.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #4
Shelbs

Interestingly enough, I undertook the same upgrade this past weekend. I already had a single lnb dish and tripod so I bought the slimline-5 for about $100. Including shipping. Brought my HD DVR from the house and the single tuner HD receiver as well. I set the evelation, azimuth and tilt before mounting on the tripod and was surprised at how easily I got a signal. There was just a small amount of fine tuning needed. I am surprised and sorry you had such a struggle.

We Are The Shelby's
Steven
Faith
Sierra and Abby (Woof!!!)
2014 Montana High Country 343RL
2014 Ford F250
Shelbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:23 AM   #5
chuckretnav

Im sure it will get better, as time goes along. Getting ready to live in the RV for a couple of months. Just sold our home here in Indiana and moving to Texas. Going to move to central Texas outside the Fort Hood area.
chuckretnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #6
RVUSA

for directv you want the slimline dish with the swm 3 head. That has a single coax coming from it and will let you set up the antenna away from the rv in case of trees, and then just plug it into the "external input". For me the best antenna stand has been the "sled" that direct tv can give you. It lets me set up for HD in less than 2 minutes each time.
RVUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:09 AM   #7
bartletts

For you Directv folks, do you take your home receiver with you or do you buy an extra receiver to tote around? Do you bother to plug it into a phone or internet line to get the extra content?
I have two directv DVR's at home and I don't really feel like paying an additional monthly fee.
bartletts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #8
SAD
Permanent User Ban

I have 3 at home. I take the one from the home office.

Mine have never been plugged in to a phone line. Ever. Not even once. Ever.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #9
mhs4771

We're LongTimers, so we take the DVR and 2 Single Tuner HD Rcvrs with us. And we haven't been connected to a landline since we dropped it several years ago. If we want a PPV movie I just order it via the DirecTV web site with either the LapTop or Smart Phone. Works for us. BTW we have the Winegard Trav'ler SK3005 SlimLine Dish on the Roof of the Monty, one button setup, gotta love it.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote