Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2008, 12:05 PM   #1
nanatotwo

Condensation on Walls on VR1

We are new to the forum and rving. My husband and I purchased a 2008 Keystone VR1 TT November 29. We have had problems with condensation building up inside the coach when it is cold outside and the heat is on. It was so bad that water was running down the walls. The temperature was in the 40's outside and the gas furnace inside was set to 65. There was 4 adults and 2 small children inside on the coach. We live on the coast in southeast Georgia. We have camped it in one weekend and the dealership said to sleep in the camper and to use at home to become acquainted with everything. With just 2 adults and the heat around 60 inside there was still a small amount of condensation. We were told by Keystone to open the vents and put out containers of Damp Rid. We do not feel comfortable with this, the heat is going to rise and go out of the vents and the heaters will continue to run longer resulting in more use of gas. Also we worry about the mold and the moisture ruining the TT. We went back to the dealership with this and they are consulting with the Keystone rep. We were curious if anyone else had encountered this problem before? If so what were the solutions or WE really going to loose that much heat out of the vents?
nanatotwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:00 AM   #2
roger

moisture issues

Like a house your need to control the moisture build up within the unit. Dry heat should remove SOME of the moisture but not all of it. If you open a vent this will let heat AND moisture out,but remember if something is going out it needs to be replaced> so the replacement air will come from any air gaps around the trailer/doors, windows or any other gaps within the unit. Like a house you'll end up with trying to dump more heat in than exits the unit. A big heat exchange which is why you hope the furnance is up for the challenge. If you can check the moisture level in the air @30F you would like to see 35%humidity anything higher things start to sweat. but you still have to take into account where you are is the states> Florida vs Maine
With four people in the trailer you'll have extra moisture just from breathing, cooking etc.
A dehumidifier would work but it will need to be drained on a regular bases.
and no you don't want to see moisture running down the walls. Yes you'll get mold. This is comon in home when there isn't enough insulation in the walls due to heat transfer you'll see the same in trailers. good luck
roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:28 AM   #3
vicon

moisture

Try using a fan to circulate the warm air from the ceiling throughout the camper. This will lower the temperature of the air accumulating at the ceiling and the air movement will help dry some of the moisture in the air. I believe, the dealer is right, with the number of people in the camper moisture is going to build up quickly. Opening a roof vent will help get rid of some of the moisture too. Otherwise, the camper is acting like a balloon - everyone is breathing and adding moisture into the air and it can not escape. Kind of like wearing plasic clothes. Good luck
vicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:48 AM   #4
jsuejs

condensation

We have had our 2007 since then we have camped where it is warm and where it gets very cold. This winter we are camping in Yellowstone and have much condensation. I'm always drying the walls off and making sure the mold issue does not become an issue. We have Dehumiderfier boxes where the worst of condensation is the worst and also have a dehumidifier running. After reading about fans running to pusu the air down I do know thar when I do this the heat is better in the rooms. However my husband don't like the fan running when he is home!I have been looking for an answer for some time and I had thought he should not cover the vents and should run the fan. We'll see how the moisture does now that I've taken down the covers on the vents. Also does having the screen to the bedroom closed help to cause more moisture in the bedroom?
jsuejs is offline   Reply With Quote