Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2017, 05:49 AM   #21
dangerdave

Thank you

Thank you all for the great responses, seriously...I am very appreciative.

Last summer we were coming down a 6% grade long hill here in Arizona (Verde Valley). We were pulling my (only) GVWR 8,750 Jayco. We had to slam on our brakes because a suicidal semi came by us and nearly rear ended another semi. We jumped all over the place....life flashed...wife screamed....wife screamed some more.... We hung in there and the brakes did their job. Needless to say that put my DW on hawk mode for future comfortable towing issues. She killed this deal right out of the gate.

And my warranty company told me outright if something happened to the truck, they'd check the specs on what I was towing and if they found something over-spec, they would deny the claim.

I may be overreacting for some folks, and I appreciate that. But it's not really the kind of thing you can "try out" first and if you aren't happy go back.

Side note on the aluminum of the Fords... check out the body shop rates to repair aluminum. They are astronomical. I guess it requires very specialized equipment to repair body damage in aluminum. I was wondering what this would do to insurance rates for Ford going forward.

Everyone has been great here. Such a nice community. Well done. I may be back some day with a Keystone.

Until then safe travels!!

Dave
2 Golden Retrievers
dangerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:49 AM   #22
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I see all the posts on the low payload of the Ram trucks but mine must be a "mutant". It's a 2014 Ram 2500 with nearly all the bells and whistles and my door sticker says my payload is 3200 lbs. It does have the 6.4L and not the diesel but that is quite a bit of difference from many of the posts I'm seeing.

That is because you don't have the diesel. That engine weighs a lot more than your gasser. Plus, what cab do you have? Big difference in weight between regular, extended and four doors. Same goes for short and long bed. Same for 2wd vs 4wd. You need to list all your specs/configuration to answer your question... and compare to the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:36 PM   #23
notanlines

DDave, the last thing I'd worry about is your insurance rates with Ford's aluminum panels. If that came into consideration then Dodge's "death wobble" would have made a big difference in their insurance rates and there are none that we knew of with a couple of our company trucks. We had three and finally just had our men drive them only around town until we pretty much threw them away....death wobble combined with industrial painter's trucks equals "not worth much."
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:35 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback 325BH View Post
That is because you don't have the diesel. That engine weighs a lot more than your gasser. Plus, what cab do you have? Big difference in weight between regular, extended and four doors. Same goes for short and long bed. Same for 2wd vs 4wd. You need to list all your specs/configuration to answer your question... and compare to the others.

I don't have a question about my payload. I made an observation about all the low payloads (big variations) listed for the same basic truck. I do understand gas vs diesel, cab configuration etc. I have a pretty high payload for a 3/4 ton; it would be interesting to know what configurations come in at 1500 etc, etc lbs.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:42 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
DDave, the last thing I'd worry about is your insurance rates with Ford's aluminum panels. If that came into consideration then Dodge's "death wobble" would have made a big difference in their insurance rates and there are none that we knew of with a couple of our company trucks. We had three and finally just had our men drive them only around town until we pretty much threw them away....death wobble combined with industrial painter's trucks equals "not worth much."
I guess I've never experienced the Dodge "death wobble" and I've driven dozens upon dozens of them (most company owned) over the last 46 years including building up a couple of Ramchargers - never had to replace ball joints and never had "death wobble" even with 35/37's on them. Don't know that an insurance company is concerned about the mechanical condition of a vehicle...only what they encounter as repairs which the ball joints don't mean much because they are rarely involved. Repairing aluminum body panels on the other hand would be involved in most vehicle repairs hence the inevitable insurance rate hikes
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 02:18 PM   #26
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I don't have a question about my payload. I made an observation about all the low payloads (big variations) listed for the same basic truck. I do understand gas vs diesel, cab configuration etc. I have a pretty high payload for a 3/4 ton; it would be interesting to know what configurations come in at 1500 etc, etc lbs.

I was just trying to answer your question on why you have so much more payload than other Fiat 3/4 tons. I believe you will find yours weighs a lot less.

The variations in payload are primarily due to the truck's weighing differently.

Two identical trucks except for one has gas and the other diesel: the gasser has more payload.

Two identical trucks except for one is 4x2 and the other is 4x4: the 4x2 has more payload.

Same goes fore bed length. Same goes for cab configuration.

Add them together and you can get quite a spread.

Compare a long bed, 4x4, 4-door diesel with a short bed, 4x2, regular cab with gas engine and you are talking probably over two thousand pounds difference in weight. That difference goes to (or takes away from) payload.

Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 04:54 PM   #27
dkd04231

Check your private messages
dkd04231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:19 PM   #28
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
In all fairness, I have been driving Ram 2500 Cummins since 1994 with no death wobbles. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but with over 200,000 on one truck and over 300,000 miles on the other, I haven't experienced it...of course...I do attend to my own maintanence on a reasonable schedule.

Perhaps implying a blanket defect to the brand is not a fair assessment.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:14 PM   #29
gearhead

Some year Dodges had significant front end issues. My son had to use offset ball joints to get his right. But in reality all makes can have issues, especially with poor maintenance. My son just rebuilt his brother in laws Ford Excursion front end that had severe death wobble, from no maintenance.
Here's what I'll say about payloads...2014 Ford F350 SRW Lariat diesel, 4x4, crewcab, long bed. Payload 3267.
Ram 3500 SRW Laramie diesel, 4x4, Crewcab, long bed. Payload 4018.
Practically identical trucks except GVW and thus payload.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:54 PM   #30
mtofell

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdave View Post
We had to slam on our brakes because a suicidal semi came by us and nearly rear ended another semi. We jumped all over the place....life flashed...wife screamed....wife screamed some more.... We hung in there and the brakes did their job. Needless to say that put my DW on hawk mode for future comfortable towing issues. She killed this deal right out of the gate.
fwiw..... the brakes on a 3500 are the EXACT same equipment as on your 2500.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote