Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2014, 09:15 AM   #1
mazeppabob

Would you buy an RV MFG in USA by Honda?

Was just thinking, US RV industry keeps putting out the same poor quality over priced products (45-50% markup) year after year. New floor plan pretty fabrics etc.
US auto industry didn't improve their quality until Honda, Toyota and consumers more or less forced them to do something. Would be nice to have some consumer protection laws (like lemon law, longer warranty, bumper to bumper, 35,000 or 5 years). Why doesn't RVIA(Recreation Vehicle Industry Association) do anything to push for better quality. We each pay, I think $75 for the RVIA sticker on the side of our RV.
Foreign competition might be what it takes once again. Think of it a Hundai 36RBFLXL.
mazeppabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:28 AM   #2
jsmith948

Regulation = increased costs/prices. Just sayin'

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:46 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

You get what you pay for. If you want the quality of a Rolls and the price of a VW you will be disappointed. The RV industry offers all levels from tent trailers to luxury MHs just like the auto industry. If Honda made an RV it would most likely be out of my price range because of the quality. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:00 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I think back to the 1970 Honda Civic that I couldn't get out of once I got into it, the Datsun with vinyl seats that dry rotted before the warranty expired, the Toyota that rusted through the fenders in the first 2 years. Those early days of "Japanese quality" weren't any better than what American manufacturers were producing. Once they got their "foot in the door" things changed, and the result was improvement, but it wasn't an "overnight change"....

As for RV's, I'd think the same "growing pains" would present themselves all over again as the Japanese (and now Chinese/Koreans/Indians) learned what we expect and how to produce it within a price range to make it competitive.

As for a Hyundai 36RBFLXL, I'll wait until they get all the "kinks worked out"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:24 AM   #5
allmi01

X2 on John's post.

I drive vehicles built by US owned companies.

RV's are built just like every other product built anywhere, as inexpensive as possible while meeting the needs of the consumers they are trying to convince to buy their products.

As for all my vehicles, cars, trucks, RV's, lawn mowers, they meet my needs. Are there some issues, sure but these things are build by humans are we humans are far from perfect.

I just don't buy into the "because it comes from outside the US, it has to be better" thought process. There is plenty of competition in the RV industry and I know I have seen a lot of improvements over the 27 years I have owned RV's. The industry is getting better because most of the companies do listen to we consumers. Keystone might be better at it than other which is why I prefer their products.

Mike